Re: [U-Zendo] Wired Buddhism

  • Lee Love
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 31, 2006
      Richard Horvitz wrote:

      >On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Weasel Tracks wrote:
      >[...]
      >

      >>It has always seemed to me that Buddhism is a religion which has
      >>nothing to fear from science. Nor the other way around.
      >>
      >> ---Weasel Tracks
      >>

      >As a practical matter this is true. But both sides (buddhists and
      >scientific materialists) make some kind of claim of truth, and both sides
      >claim to give an understanding of our experience in this world.

      Actually , there are "non-materialist" scientists. So the problem
      isn't buddhism vs. science, but rather, a process vs. an object
      oriented perspective.

      --
      Lee Love
      in Mashiko, Japan http://mashiko.org

      "Human subtlety will never devise an invention more beautiful,
      more simple or more direct than does Nature,
      because in her inventions, nothing is lacking and nothing is superfluous."

      --Leonardo da Vinci
    • Lou Anne Jaeger
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
        As long as Cherry Garcia ice cream lives on, so does Jerry!

        Weasel Tracks <weaseltrax@...> wrote:
        At 11:39 AM -0800 06/01/30, Lou Anne Jaeger wrote:
        >Or when you realize that following the Greatful Dead from concert to
        >concert really isn't such a fulfilling way to spend one's life?

        Huh?

        I'll keep following the group until Jerry dies or something.

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2006
          At 5:25 PM -0500 06/01/31, Richard Horvitz wrote:
          >I think that as
          >neuroscience makes more progress the issues will become ... more
          >interesting. There is already some knowledge of brain chances that occur
          >due to meditation. It seems plausible that scientists might discover how
          >to cause these changes through some technique such as "transcranial
          >magnetic stimulation" (where parts of the brain can be activated using a
          >tightly focussed strong magnetic field). It is possible that such a
          >technique might have exactly the same effect as years of zazen, but in a
          >fraction of the time. My guess is that most people here would reject such
          >a method due to its materialistic underpinnings. Am I wrong?

          Zazen is not only changing a mental state, incidently changing brain
          structure, but undoing karma. Can a magnetic field change your
          attitudes and understandings, developed over a lifetime of
          misperception? I think the only shortcut is traditional Buddhist
          practice.

          But the only real test of whether such a thing has value with regard
          to Zen, is to try it and see. We did exactly this with LSD, did we
          not?