Going down memory lane on U-Zendo

  • Joseph Kozono
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2006

      The Universal Zendo DiscusiĆ³n List

                  The Universal Zendo Discussion List (U-Zendo) was the brainchild of Michael Cardell who wanted to have a cyberspace dedicated to the discussion on Zen with a special emphasis placed on practice rather than on scholarship.  U-Zendo saw its birth at <lysator.liu.se>.  Alter several years Michael grew weary of his task as the List owner and moderator of the list.  He also wanted to have more free time to pursue other interests.  Both Dharman Craig Presson and myself offer to substitute him.

      Eventually Michael decided to handle the mantle of U-Zendo to Dharman and during his management, he made this list to become  one of the most successful and visited discussion forum.  He actively sought out new members and he was also an important voice within American Buddhism.  You can read some of his thoughts on the subject at
      http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~schmitzr/bgz.htm he wrote in the mid nineties.  When Dharman took over the list, he decided to migrate it to a different server and this was our first big move.

      After a few years, the mantle of Zendo was passed down again and this time it was the turn of Deborah Orf.  And with her we moved again to a server in Wisconsin.  Over time Deborah also became too busy to handle her multiple responsibilities and when she asked to be replaced I offered to do so.  Since then, Zendo has been under my care.

      For many years I participated actively in the discussions and in the management of the list.  Then, about three years ago (2002) the time came for me to take my sabbatical year and decided to do so away from the Washington DC area and from Georgetown University.  Since then, I have maintained a very low profile in the list, however, I have continued to take care of all administrative tasks. Of course I have the invaluable help of several selfless virtual friends who have acted as dharma-mitras (friends of dharma) and moderators of the list for several years.

      At the beginning of 2006 they informed me that something was wrong with our list.  All of our messages were bouncing back and the list has been down for about a week. I tried to contact the technical help desk of our former server but I could not do so.  Another week went by and I decided that it was time to move again.  And so, today January 25, 2006 we have made Yahoo Group as our new home.  And with this move we have also recovered the original name Michael Cardell bestowed to our list, i. e., The Universal Zendo Discussion List.

      May 2006 and beyond, as well as Yahoo Group be kind and fruitful to us.

      In gasshou,

      JK

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • kc8hr
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 25, 2006
        Hi Joseph-sensei,

        --- In U-Zendo@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Kozono <kozonoj@y...> wrote:
        <snip>

        > May 2006 and beyond, as well as Yahoo Group be kind and fruitful
        to us.

        Thank you for your efforts in keeping this list online.

        I am a 'silent member' of the U-Zendo. I have been subscribed since
        the early days that Joe has mentioned.

        I have little to say, since I know very little, but thanks to all the
        members of our electronic sangha for their wisdom.

        Peace!
        Tim