Re: One Pill makes you taller...CHAT

  • --Michael
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2006
      On a slightly less radical but still potentially disturbing note, I
      suspect many men would be uncomfortable with castration for medical
      reasons, even if required to save their lives (e.g., testicular
      cancer).

      Even prostate surgery can leave a man "impotent" (I hate that term).
      That can be pretty hard to deal with.

      Quite a few males are uncomfortable even with mere sterilization, and
      that only slightly modifies the peripheral plumbing with no functional
      change in the main pipe. <g>

      Can't speak for women, but as a man I can vouch for the intense
      self-image we are raised with and carry through our entire lives.

      Now and then one does see public figures bucking the trend, Joe Namath
      wearing pantyhose and Rosie Greer knitting. But these are the rare
      exceptions to the rule.

      Seems that sort of self-image is a prime target for Zen (so to speak)!

      --Michael

      --- ColdMtnBum@... wrote:

      > Sure....what the heck......but you'll have to explain it to my kids.
      > Gassho, CMB

      > From: "Pat Stacy" pstacy@...

      > Hi CMB, OKay, you are the first. Would you be willing to be a woman?

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Scott Hutton
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006

        Michael wrote:

        Can't speak for women, but as a man I can vouch for the intense
        self-image we are raised with and carry through our entire lives.

        Yep. Not just what you mentioned either. Lots of other afflictions (eg sexism, racism, and other unrealistic fears) seem to be tied in with unrealistic self-image, or seeing other people as more “other” than “people”.

        Maybe Zen targets the unreality of the self-image more than the self-image itself. Hope that sentence made sense.

        With crossed legs,

        Scott