Re: [U-Zendo] Digest Number 54

  • ColdMtnBum@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30 11:33 AM
       Sure....what the heck......but you'll have to explain it to my kids.
      Gassho,  CMB

      <<Message 4
          From: "Pat Stacy" pstacy@...
          Date: Mon May 29, 2006 8:24pm(PDT)
      Subject: Re: One Pill makes you taller...CHAT

         I hate to be the rule breaker here but I am 6"5" with size fifteen
      shoes. I'd be happy to be under six foot.....maybe 5' 10" and have feet
      I could find shoes for. All that said, I'm also okay with the way I am.
      Gassho, CMB

      Hi CMB, OKay, you are the first. Would you be willing to be a woman?

    • --Michael
      Message 2 of 3 , May 30 7:58 PM
        On a slightly less radical but still potentially disturbing note, I
        suspect many men would be uncomfortable with castration for medical
        reasons, even if required to save their lives (e.g., testicular
        cancer).

        Even prostate surgery can leave a man "impotent" (I hate that term).
        That can be pretty hard to deal with.

        Quite a few males are uncomfortable even with mere sterilization, and
        that only slightly modifies the peripheral plumbing with no functional
        change in the main pipe. <g>

        Can't speak for women, but as a man I can vouch for the intense
        self-image we are raised with and carry through our entire lives.

        Now and then one does see public figures bucking the trend, Joe Namath
        wearing pantyhose and Rosie Greer knitting. But these are the rare
        exceptions to the rule.

        Seems that sort of self-image is a prime target for Zen (so to speak)!

        --Michael

        --- ColdMtnBum@... wrote:

        > Sure....what the heck......but you'll have to explain it to my kids.
        > Gassho, CMB

        > From: "Pat Stacy" pstacy@...

        > Hi CMB, OKay, you are the first. Would you be willing to be a woman?

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Scott Hutton
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006

          Michael wrote:

          Can't speak for women, but as a man I can vouch for the intense
          self-image we are raised with and carry through our entire lives.

          Yep. Not just what you mentioned either. Lots of other afflictions (eg sexism, racism, and other unrealistic fears) seem to be tied in with unrealistic self-image, or seeing other people as more “other” than “people”.

          Maybe Zen targets the unreality of the self-image more than the self-image itself. Hope that sentence made sense.

          With crossed legs,

          Scott