One Pill makes you taller...CHAT

    Message 1 of 9 , May 28, 2006

      On the way to the monastery this morning I picked up a young man hitchhiking. It was 5:30 am, about 38 degrees F, and he looked cold standing on the corner in my very tiny deserted town. After he folded his rawboned Texas body into my back seat and we drove off together, I asked him how tall he was. “Six Two,” he answered. I told him I was a massage therapist and I liked to ask people this next question:  “How tall would you like to be if you could be any height?” I knew the answer but I wanted to hear what he would say. “Six Four,” came his reply without hesitation. I laughed and told him I knew what he would say. He asked me if everyone answered six four. “Oh no” I explained, “Everyone adds two inches to their present height. That’s the height they want to be.” He was astonished. “Everybody?” he asked. “Yes, everybody, man, woman, short, or tall, it’s always the same answer. Even a woman I know who is six feet tall wanted to be six two.”

      I told him I could understand him wanting to be six four, but I couldn’t understand why a man who is only five-four only wants to be five-six. He was quiet for a while and then he said something very profound for a 25-year-old guy. He said, “I think it is because it would be too different. Your life would be different and I think that scares people.” I said “Well, it wasn’t that long ago that you were five-five, that wasn’t scary, was it?” He said “I was five-five in a six-two body.” Again it was a very perceptive response.

      I thought about this all day. How much we imprison ourselves with our fears. How our idea of who we are includes our height and we don’t want to deviate too much from that although we do want to be taller. I admit the number of people I’ve asked this question is not more than 50, but the results still amaze me. I’m sure there will be someone who will be happy with his height, but I doubt if anyone wants to be shorter. Even a friend who is six-four would like to six-six in spite of the problems that would cause. I asked the hitchhiker if six-two wasn’t a problem for a young guy. Didn’t other guys in bars always pick a fight with the tall guy? He admitted that when he is in a bar he always checks to see if he is the tallest. If he is, he leaves. But he would still want to be taller.

      I think I read in “Blink” that 95 percent of the CEOs of the Fortune Five Hundred are six feet tall or over. Being tall is perceived as being powerful and very few men make it to the top who are under six feet tall, even though they are qualified. Why, then, doesn’t the man who is five-five want to be six feet tall? I think my hitchhiker was correct---too scary.

      This list is probably composed of people who have faced some of their fear of change and examined their ideas of self. How far would you be willing to deviate from your present size, shape, sex, age, or weight. If you are a woman, would you be willing to be bald? If you are a man, would you be willing to be five feet tall? Was there just a little twinge of fear as you read this?

      Pat

    • --Michael
      Message 2 of 9 , May 29, 2006
        That reminds me of a rhetorical question posed by Chris Rock in a
        comedy routine I saw on TV.

        He asked how many members of the audience (mostly white) if they'd like
        to trade places with him, meaning they'd be black but also rich?

        Speaking for myself, I don't want to particularly change anything
        physical about me (although a little more hair on my balding head would
        be nice <g>). I've enough inner demons and the like to deal with.

        Interesting you should mention about the height. I used to work at a
        large engineering company whose sole customer was the Department of
        Defense. More than half the men were shorter than me (5-10), some by
        many inches, both staff and management.

        Personally, I'd prefer not to be shorter; slimmer would be good,
        though. <sigh>

        There perhaps is something to the story about short men having ego
        problems. Informally I've observed that to not be wholly false. It's
        certainly exploited in movies (e.g., Trainspotting).

        --Michael

        --- Pat Stacy <pstacy@...> wrote:

        [snip]

        > This list is probably composed of people who have faced some of their
        > fear of change and examined their ideas of self. How far would you be
        > willing to deviate from your present size, shape, sex, age, or
        > weight. If you are a woman, would you be willing to be bald? If you
        > are a man, would you be willing to be five feet tall? Was there just
        > a little twinge of fear as you read this?

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Scott
        Message 3 of 9 , May 29, 2006
          Hey, I liked trainspotting. More realistic portrayal of what for some
          people is normality.
          Certainly better than much of the ... art ... that comes out of
          Hollywood. (My Own Private Idaho being a notable exception).

          Scott

        • ColdMtnBum@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , May 29, 2006
            Hi Pat,
            I hate to be the rule breaker here but I am 6"5" with size fifteen
            shoes. I'd be happy to be under six foot.....maybe 5' 10" and have feet
            I could find shoes for. All that said, I'm also okay with the way I am.
            Gassho, CMB
              Message 6 of 9 , May 30, 2006
                On 2006/05/30 11:51:16, coldmtnbum@... wrote:
                > Hi Pat,
                > I hate to be the rule breaker here but I am 6"5" with size fifteen
                > shoes. I'd be happy to be under six foot.....maybe 5' 10" and have feet
                > I could find shoes for. All that said, I'm also okay with the way I am.

                I became attached to my height in 9th grade, after reading _A Separate
                Peace_. The two school boys, Gene and Finney, were the same height as
                me. There is a line in the novel, where Finney says to Gene, “Never say
                you are five feet nine when you’re five feet eight and a half.” So it
                means something special to me. I got this height in 7th grade (played
                center in basketball in Jr. High) and never grew any more more.

                This connection was reinforced for me in 1989. During the dharma
                transmission ceremony for 12 of my fellow students (during a remission
                period of my teacher's illness), I wanted to wittiness the ceremony but
                couldn't. I assisted from outside. At the last minute, they realized
                that they did not have a pilgrim's staff for the ceremony. So I was sent
                to make one. I look desperately, and finally found a young elm tree.
                Elms are special to me & remind me of my Grandfather. I said a prayer
                and cut it down., cut the branches off and debarked it (I brought a draw
                knife with me from Michigan, that I used to shave TiPi poles.) I cut the
                top where it was too thin in diameter and then cut the thick part once
                more, to make it level. I held the staff at arm's length and thought it
                was of a peculiar height. Went to the basement tool room at the Z.C, got
                a tape measure out, and sure enough, it was 5'8.5" tall. I couldn't be
                at the ceremony, but the staff went in my place.

                --
                Lee In Mashiko, Japan
                http://mashiko.org
                Message 7 of 9 , May 30, 2006
                  At 7:46 PM +0900 06/05/30, Lee Love wrote:

                  >I became attached to my height in 9th grade, after reading _A Separate
                  >Peace_. The two school boys, Gene and Finney, were the same height as
                  >me. There is a line in the novel, where Finney says to Gene, ³Never say
                  >you are five feet nine when you¹re five feet eight and a half.² So it
                  >means something special to me. I got this height in 7th grade (played
                  >center in basketball in Jr. High) and never grew any more more.

                  My secret shame is that I've been calling myself
                  six feet tall, when I am really only 6'11.75"

                  Though I have been at times in male social
                  circles where I was one of the short ones, six
                  feet tall is good enough for me.

                  > . . . I held the staff at arm's length and thought it
                  >was of a peculiar height. Went to the basement tool room at the Z.C, got
                  >a tape measure out, and sure enough, it was 5'8.5" tall. I couldn't be
                  >at the ceremony, but the staff went in my place.

                  Yet you are to be congratulated for being the One Outside.

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 30, 2006
                    This is not something I've thought about. Now I have something new and
                    impossible to pine for! But as a 4'9" man just shy of 500 pounds I'd be
                    delighted to be a six foot 150 pound woman.
                  • Lou Anne Jaeger
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 30, 2006
                      I’m moving to Chapel Hill NC in June and any information about the various Zen groups is welcome.  My house will be less than a mile from the Chapel Hill Zendo.

                      I’ll be in Hokkaido , Japan for a week at the end of June (June 26-31).  Any information/contacts regarding Zen and temples to visit is greatly appreciated.

                      Bryan Roth
                      bryan.roth@...