Importance of Teachers in various "traits" of Buddhism

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2006
      Hello people,
      I heard today (on the radio, perhaps the commentator didn't know what
      she was talking about) that Zen was the Buddhist "school" that
      valued/needed teachers any other. I had thought that teachers were
      essential to Vajrayana - according to (I think) the Dalai Lama,
      "without a teacher, Vajrayana Buddhism is not possible" - but the Zen
      school teachers were extremely important but not absolutely assential.

      Or, alternatively, and this is my position, the path to enlightenment
      is so full of pitfalls and worthless going-around-in-circles, that in
      all "Buddhisms", that unless you are very close to complete
      enlightenment, teachers are essential to attaining enlightenment
      during a single lifetime, even if they only say (probably from
      experience) "That is not fruitful" or "That is". But teachers usually
      say a lot more besides.

      Scott