938Re: [U-Zendo] Form

  • Louis-Dominique Dubeau
    Aug 20, 2010
      On Fri, 2010-08-20 at 14:02 -0400, LouAnne Jaeger wrote:
      > Well said, everyone.
      > While talk about Zen is "Three Stooges Zen" (love that moniker!), as
      > it says in the Lankavatara Sutra, sometimes you have to use words to
      > get beyond words.

      > The five skandas are very hard to get one's mind around. The
      > description I found the most helpful was in (again) the Lankavatara
      > Sutra.

      LouAnne, you whetted my curiosity. So I searched the translation by
      Suzuki available here:

      And was not able to find an explanation of the individual roles of the
      five skandhas. Which passage were you thinking about?

      I did however, find this:

      "Again, Mahamati, by the wise the five Skandhas are regarded as
      thought-constructions, devoid of [dualisties such as] otherness and
      not-otherness; for they are like varieties of forms and objects in a
      vision, like images and persons in a dream. As they have no better
      substance for their support, and as they obstruct the passage of noble
      wisdom, there is what is known as the Skandha-discrimination."

      (This is cut and paste. The word "dualisties" appears as-is.)

      > The way I understood it is like this: 1) form/object, 2) physical
      > perception of the object 3) mental recognition of the object, 4) ideas
      > that are generated about the object, 5) storage of the information. I
      > see this almost as a mechanical process that "creates" both the self
      > and the world it perceives, occurring over and over and over,
      > gazillions of times every nano-second.
      > I may be completely wrong, but find it helps me "grok" the form/noform
      > thing.

      This is in line with most explanations of the skandhas I've encountered.
      I would add that number 4 (often called "mental formations") should be
      understood to have an element of intentionality.

      In the dharma,
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic