934Re: [U-Zendo] Form

    Aug 20, 2010
      Well said, everyone.

      While talk about Zen is "Three Stooges Zen" (love that moniker!), as it says in the Lankavatara Sutra, sometimes you have to use words to get beyond words.

      The five skandas are very hard to get one's mind around.  The description I found the most helpful was in (again) the Lankavatara Sutra.  The way I understood it is like this:  1) form/object, 2) physical perception of the object 3) mental recognition of the object, 4) ideas that are generated about the object, 5) storage of the information.  I see this almost as a mechanical process that "creates" both the self and the world it perceives, occurring over and over and over, gazillions of times every nano-second.

      I may be completely wrong, but find it helps me "grok" the form/noform thing.

      LA

      On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Lee <togeika@...> wrote:

      On 8/20/10, Louis-Dominique Dubeau <ldd@...> wrote:
      On Fri, 2010-08-20 at 09:56 -0500, Lee wrote:

      > Form is not what you _Think_.   It does exist as ever changing
      > processes.   But our intellect can only capture snapshots of it.

      Even if the ever-changing process and form are not separate, the
      ever-changing process cannot be called "form." All talk of "form" is
      talk about a snapshot.

      Yeah, what you said.  What I said.  It is all Three Stooges Zen.  "N'yuck, N'yuck, N'yuck!"

      --
      Lee Love in Minneapolis
      http://mingeisota.blogspot.com/

      "Ta tIr na n-óg ar chul an tI—tIr dlainn trina chéile"—that is, "The land of eternal youth is behind the house, a beautiful land fluent within itself." -- John O'Donohue

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic