Letter & Petition to NZ and Australian Prime Ministers - A Fair Go For NZ Citizens Living In Australia

  • Emeretta.Cross@au.ey.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 13, 2011
      This email is to be read subject to the disclaimer below.

      Greetings all

      Am also asking for opinions, experiences and point of views.

      Your input will remain in confidence. I will seek your approval if there
      is topical content that can benefit my study, in relation to migrations
      and indigenous relations.

      Please send to my home address - above.

      ----- Forwarded by Emeretta Cross/ErnstYoung/AU on 14/04/2011 12:28 PM
      -----

      Please forward throughout your networks with a kind request to sign the
      petition http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/fair-go-nz-citizens-in-oz/

      Kia ora koutou katoa & Greetings

      (The full letter emailed and posted (snail mail) with numerous
      concerns/issues included are attached), below is a brief for the Petition
      website.

      Petition to: New Zealand Prime Minister John Key and Australia Prime
      Minister Julia Gillard

      We write this letter to you on behalf of the large number of New
      Zealanders permanently residing in Australia who have raised serious
      concerns of unequal treatment based on their nationality
      The Queensland Flood Disaster caused many affected New Zealanders to
      complain of unequal treatment when they were initially refused the
      Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP). After pleas for
      help to both governments, the Australian Government granted an Ex-gratia
      Assistance Payment to those New Zealanders who had been previously refused
      assistance.

      The flood waters had barely begun to recede when Cyclone Yasi tore through
      northern Queensland. Innocent victims were once again caught up in
      traumatic and devastating circumstances outside of their control. Yet
      again, the calls came in from affected New Zealanders being told that they
      too were ineligible for the AGDRP. The discrimination was now palpable.

      A veritable flood of similar concerns of discrimination has since poured
      in from New Zealanders living across Australia regarding areas such as
      employment, education, training, student loans, social security, social
      services, and access to Australian citizenship.

      This strong sense of discrimination has emerged as a result of the
      amendment to the definition of Australian resident in the Social Security
      Act 1991 (Cth) made as a result of the Family and Community Services
      Legislative Amendment (New Zealand Citizens) Act 2001. One need go no
      further than the title of this amendment to see that it discriminates
      based on New Zealand nationality.

      The Australian Citizenship (Permanent Resident Status New Zealand Citizens
      Declaration 2001) ensured that the discrimination was effective by
      removing our eligibility for Australian citizenship.

      The then Minister for Immigration and Multicultural Affairs officially
      announced the citizenship and social security changes as being for the
      express purpose of implementing a new social security treaty with New
      Zealand. The Hansard record shows that members of the Australian
      Parliament passed the amendments on this basis. However, as you are no
      doubt aware, there is no such treaty between our two countries that strips
      such rights only from New Zealanders but leaves the rights of Australians
      intact.

      Similarly, the 1994 changes effected by Regulation 17 (New Zealand
      citizens and certain children of New Zealand citizens) of the Migration
      Reform (Transitional Provisions) Regulations saw the removal of official
      permanent resident status from most New Zealand citizens residing in
      Australia.

      As a result of these changes, many people who live, work, pay taxes, and
      raise families in Australia are now never able to enjoy equal rights
      simply because we come from New Zealand. In short, the 1994 and 2001
      amendments have made an underclass out of New Zealanders. This sad fact
      was confirmed by the recent decision in Faulkner vs ACE Insurance [2011]
      NSWADT 36, where it was found that the insurance company in question had
      racially discriminated against New Zealand nationals by using the
      definition of Australian resident in the Social Security Act as a general
      eligibility condition for insurance. It was estimated by the Tribunal that
      up to 47% of resident New Zealanders are now excluded from this
      definition.

      Many concerns are being consistently raised by a growing number of NZ
      citizens via numerous reputable community organisations and parliamentary
      representatives. Which can be read here
      http://www.maori-in-oz.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1545&Itemid=212
      The sheer number of such complaints keeps growing.

      In stark contrast, Australian citizens permanently residing in New Zealand
      become eligible to apply for NZ citizenship, tertiary student allowances
      and student loans, as well as all social security benefits after a
      reasonable residency period of 2 years. New Zealands laws prohibit
      discrimination based on nationality, but Australias laws do not.

      In light of this systemic discrimination based on New Zealand nationality,
      we the undersigned ask for equal treatment to be restored to New
      Zealanders permanently residing in Australia under the Trans-Tasman Travel
      Arrangements. Namely, that we are again recognised as residents under the
      Social Security Act and as permanent residents under the Australian
      Citizenship and Migration acts.

      To this end, we also ask for the establishment of a formal treaty between
      Australia and New Zealand that enshrines the rights to equality and
      protection from discrimination to Australians and New Zealanders alike
      when we are living in each others countries.

      We thank you for your time and look forward to your response.

      http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/fair-go-nz-citizens-in-oz/

      More information can be found
      http://www.maori-in-oz.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category§ionid=47&id=164&Itemid=254

      http://www.specialcategoryvisa.com/subclass444/
      http://www.facebook.com/MaoriInOz

      Thank you to everyone who has helped by direct contact and throughout the
      devoted network of individuals and organizations around Australia and New
      Zealand in your contributions of this letter and petition, your ongoing
      efforts is greatly appreciated. Please help us to share this email to
      gather as much support via signatures to the petition to back up the full
      letters sent to the PM?s of NZ and Australia.

      Warm Regards

      Christel Broederlow
      www.maori-in-oz.com
      www.themaoridirectory.com

      --------------------
      NOTICE - This communication contains information which is confidential and the copyright of Ernst & Young or a third party.

      If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please delete and destroy all copies and telephone Ernst & Young on 1800 655 717 immediately. If you are the intended recipient of this communication you should not copy, disclose or distribute this communication without the authority of Ernst & Young.

      Any views expressed in this Communication are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Ernst & Young.

      Except as required at law, Ernst & Young does not represent, warrant and/or guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that the communication is free of errors, virus, interception or interference.

      Our liability is limited by a scheme approved under professional standards legislation, except where we are a financial services licensee.

    • Emeretta.Cross@au.ey.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 13, 2011
        This email is to be read subject to the disclaimer below.

        Greetings all - take 2 :-)

        - merethanvision@...
        - emeretta@...