2113x0x Turkish city of Ephesus whispers to Castle Rock couple's hearts

  • T.R.H.
    Jun 2, 2014

      Turkish city of Ephesus whispers to Castle Rock couple's hearts

      By Rebecca Bell / Special to The Daily News

      http://www.TurkRadio.us

      The Turkish city of Ephesus draws throngs to its ruins from ancient pagan and early Christian times. These massive columns once supported an early church basilica.

      Ephesus is one of my favorite places ever, in the whole world.

      Turkey, in fact, is a country rich in history and for me, one of the top wonders of the world. In our modern day, it is turbulent and warring sometimes. When we travel, we always check on the website “US Government Travel Warnings,” which gives information on where you should and should not travel, medical information, and visa and passport requirements.

      My husband, Rick, and I did that before our spring, 2010 trip, and we were good to go.

      International airports are not far from Kusadasi, Turkey, and cruise ships land regularly alongside the ferries from Samos, Greece.

      In Kusadasi, a resort town of 250,000 residents, tourism is the main industry. Hotels for all tastes, shopping, wineries and restaurants abound, as well the wonders of the ancient ruins of Ephesus, Didyma and the house believed to be the last residence of Mary, mother of Jesus.

      Bus tours take visitors to most sites, and back into thousands of years of history.

      As our bus made its way out of the city, my mind took me back to Idaho. I am forever reminded how similar the world is in geography and how beautiful it all is. Headed for the home of the Virgin Mary and the great Biblical city of Ephesus, the landscape was farmland, pine trees, rich blue sky and mountains.

      Ephesus (EFF-a-sis) is 35 miles north of Kusadasi. My excitement was barely containable. I was really going to set foot on the same marble the saints walked, and see the same sky.

      I couldn’t wait to stand at the top of the coliseum, whisper to Rick down below and see if he could hear me. I wanted to test the ancient Roman acoustics.

      Souvenirs play a big part of sightseeing for many people but I am not one of them. The treasures you find in a foreign port are interesting because of cultural differences, but it is easy to lose yourself in a souvenir search rather than the intended mission.

      This brings me to our first stop, a Turkish carpet store. How could one go to Turkey and not buy a carpet or rug or at least take a look? On an intersection, on a dirt road, there sat the rug factory.

      As we filed off the bus, eyebrows lifted and folks smirked. You just never know what lies around the next corner or inside a local minit mart. One of the delights of travel, like the proverbial box of chocolates.

      Read the rest at http://tdn.com/lifestyles/turkish-city-of-ephesus-whispers-to-castle-rock-couple-s/article_2a364b0a-9800-11e2-bc69-0019bb2963f4.html