Re: [TulsaMasterRecycler] Fwd: [OKRA] FREE National Webinars: Food Scrap Composting 12/8 & 1/13 and Pay-as-you-Throw 12/9

  • Diana Askins
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
      will someone try to catch the PAYT one on the 9th. i will be unable to. would be great to have the 'handouts' from this. also, is anyone planning to try for the other one?     diana

      Printing in haste makes more waste; keep it green and read on the screen

      From: Lisa Skumatz <skumatz@...>
      Date: Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 3:19 PM
      To: "okrecycles@..." <okrecycles@...>

      cid:image001.jpg@01CAC44A.59E27DC0

      Two FREE webinars!!

      ****PASS THIS ALONG****

      The Econservation Institute (EI) is providing two FREE National webinars sponsored by the US EPA (Regions 9 and 5)

      The webinars are no cost to attend and are open to program managers, recyclers, haulers, decision-makers, elected officials, and others concerned with solid waste management and composting.

      Topic One:   Pay As You Throw (PAYT) On the Go:  Practical, Pocketbook Incentives for Recycling / Diversion (December 9th 11am-1pm Pacific Standard Time)

      Topic Two: Best Management Practices in Food Scrap Composting (two webinars, December 8th and January 13th 9am-10:30am Pacific Standard Time)

      CLICK FOLLOWING LINK TO REGISTER FOR EITHER ONE: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FRDZSTK

      To learn more about the webinars read the descriptions below:

      Learn about Pay As Your Throw (PAYT) and how it can increase recycling and reduce GHG è

       PAYT can be one of your most effective, cost-effective & flexible methods of increasing recycling and reducing GHG.   Hear the best-known national expert on PAYT and guest speakers discuss PAYT, how it works, impacts, and hear A PANEL OF CITY EXPERTS talk about pros and cons and real-world experience with the key ways to implement PAYT: Ordinance, contract / franchise; municipal; and hear from Muncipal & Hauler perspectives.   PAYT is not just practical in the landfill-costly East coast or in the "green" West Coast, but in all kinds of areas, even the desert / mountain west.  There are PAYT lessons for urban, suburban, rural, and remote areas with all types of collection systems.  Learn about can, bag, sticker, and other options; the pros and cons of PAYT;  and the power of the PAYT incentive.  We have built in time for interactive questions and follow-up opportunities as well.

      December 9th 11am-1pm Pacific Standard Time

      Learn about The Best Management Practices in Food Scraps Composting è

      The authors will present the findings of the research paper “Best Management Practices in Food Scraps Programs” that was just completed (September 2010) for EPA Region 5. The presentation will share the results of the project including the latest inventory of programs in the US, the common themes uncovered, the aspects that tend to make the programs successful, as well as the pitfalls to avoid in program development and management. The researchers will also cover what to expect in terms of costs per household, diversion, participation levels, and other impacts. Attendees will able to learn more about what is happening  nationally and locally in regards to food scrap programs and regardless of where they are in terms of their own program (planning, pilot, or mature) will be able to take away valuable tips and best practices as gathered from hundreds of other programs around the US.

      December 8th and January 13th 9am-10:30am Pacific Standard Time (Both will contain similar information- two dates are scheduled to maximize the ease of attendance)

      Both webinars are Sponsored by:  The Econservation Institute and supported through EPA grants.

      CLICK FOLLOWING LINK TO REGISTER FOR EITHER ONE: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FRDZSTK

      If you have questions about the webinars contact skumatz@...; or call 303/494-1178 to register or get more information.  The webinars are being presented by Dr. Lisa Skumatz, Juri Freeman, and guest speakers.

      PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO OTHERS!!

      Lisa A. Skumatz, Ph.D.

      The Econservation Institute

      762 Eldorado Drive, Superior, CO 80027

      303/494-1178  /  skumatz@...; Skumatz@...

      Ben Collins
      (415) 503-8672

    • Barbara VanHanken
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010
        I will be watching. I will ask Maria Barnes to check her schedule so she can watch this. Is anyone else viewing this?
        Barbara

        Barbara

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 8, 2010
          I listened to a majority of this webinar today. The presentation will be available on foodscrapsrecovery.com in a few days. I'll grab it and send to the group.

          To: TulsaMasterRecycler@yahoogroups.com
          From: recyclingben@...
          Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 15:42:23 -0600