2100Fw: [Green] PLT GreenSchools! June Update

  • Diana Askins
    Jun 16, 2014
    • 1 Attachment
    • 3 KB

    Printing in haste makes more waste;
     keep it green and read on the screen

    On Friday, June 13, 2014 10:54 AM, "Ivey, Sara E." <Sara.Ivey@...> wrote:

    Here is the June Newsletter from the National PLT GreenSchools! Program. Great information and their grant opportunity (due September 30th) for anyone that is interested.

    Enjoy!

    Sara Ivey
    Executive Director
    Oklahoma Green Schools Program
    (405) 702-7122

    Project Learning Tree

    GreenSchools! Update

    PLT's GreenSchools! program inspires
students to take personal responsibility for improving the environment at their school, at home, and in their community

    On behalf of PLT GreenSchools!, I hope your school year was a great one. Below are resources that we hope you find valuable as you head into summer vacation.
    Neglected Woodlot Transforms
    Hearing the sounds of laughter and enjoyment as inquisitive kids investigate the sights and sounds of the forest makes community members in Indiana excited for the positive effects their outdoor space has on children.
    PLT GreenWorks!
    Be sure to check out our insider how-to's so that you have a strong GreenWorks! grant proposal. All proposals are due by September 30, 2014.

    Tips for Summer Sun Protection
    Green Tips
    As you head out this summer to enjoy the warm weather, be it at camp, at home, at the beach, or at summer school, don't forget to protect yourself and your students from the sun's harmful rays.
    • To Screen or Not To Screen? Everyone knows that it's important to put sunscreen on sunny, hot days, but the sun's rays penetrate the ozone every day. Make sure to put on sunscreen even on cloudy days, because there are still UVA and UVB rays breaking through the cloud's cover. Don't forget you ears, parted-hair lines, and lips (use broad spectrum SPF of at least 15 to 30 and reapply every 2 to 3 hours, more often if you are playing in water).
    • Get Your UV Forecast Each Day. You can go to http://www2.epa.gov/sunwise/uv-index to get your local UV index for the day. This will tell you the sun’s strength that day and expected risk of overexposure.
    • UVAging vs UVBurning? Ever wonder the difference between UVA and UVB? UVA rays are the ultra-violet rays that stay constant throughout the year and believed to be primarily responsible for sun damage, including wrinkles and premature skin aging. UVB rays are the rays thought to cause skin cancer and sun burns. Protecting against both is important to ensure you stay safe this summer and all year long. For more information, go to: http://www.everydayfamily.com/sunscreen-facts-myths-tips-warnings/
    We thank you for your unwavering support of the PLT GreenSchools! program and we wish you a great summer vacation!
    Regards,
    James Riley McGirt
    Manager of Education Programs
    Project Learning Tree

    Project Learning Tree
    Project Learning Tree
    2000 M St NW, Suite 550
    Washington, DC 20036
     Our Home Page   |   About Us   |   Our Newsletter   |   Contact Us
    Facebook
    Pinterest