      From: Susie Derichsweiler <sderichsweiler@...>
      To: GREEN SCHOOLS <green@...>
      Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:13 PM
      Subject: [Green] PLT GreenSchools! Back To School Update

      PLT’s GreenSchools! program inspires students to take personal responsibility for improving the environment at their school, at home, and in their community.

      Dear Green Schools Proponents,

      We hope your school year is off to a fantastic start! We are excited to work with you to catapult your students to new heights in the environmental and academic realms.  Project Learning Tree GreenSchools! program has expanded and evolved since its inception in 2008 and now proudly engages over 2,300 registered schools across the nation in all 50 states and 10 countries.

      We want to make you aware of some great upcoming opportunities:
      Deadline Fast Approaching for PLT GreenWorks! Grants
      The Grant Deadline is September 30th and grants are available in two award levels: 1) the popular and traditional GreenWorks! grants up to a maximum of $1,000 and 2) GreenWorks! grants up to $3,000 for registered PLT GreenSchools!  Apply Now!

      Dynamic GreenSchools! Testimonials
      For great inspiration from your fellow GreenSchools! across the country, check out our GreenSchools! in Action and Students Lead the Way school profiles.

      Upcoming GreenSchools! Webinar – What Can We Learn from Schoolyard Trees
      Wednesday, October 16, 4:00-5:00pm EDT
      Students will discuss how they have used PLT’s GreenSchools! School Site Investigation to critically assess their school yards, and what they have done to improve them.  The Smithsonian Museum and Casey Trees Foundation will share tools and resources, including how to calculate the “real” value of a tree’s services, such as energy savings, clean water and air, and carbon sequestration.

      This webinar series is being hosted in conjunction with the U.S. Forest Service and the Department of Education’s Green Ribbon Schools program, which honors the highest performing green schools in the nation. Twenty-four of the schools that received the Green Ribbon honor in 2013 were PLT GreenSchools.

      In the course of this school year, we will periodically provide updates and seek your input and feedback to inform our programming and improve all facets of the PLT GreenSchools! Program.  We wish you success in the new school year and reiterate our enthusiasm to assist you in empowering your students to maximize their full potential. Please contact me at jmcgirt@...  or (202) 463-2728 if you have any questions.

      Regards,

      James Riley McGirt
      PLT GreenSchools! Logo

      Like us on Facebook