A companian of the prophet 2

  • ahmed
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2005
      Abdullah Ibn Hudhafah As-Sahmi

      History would have by-passed this man as it had by-
      passed thousands of Arabs before him. He, like them,
      would have had no claim to attention or fame. The
      greatness of Islam, however, gave to Abdullah ibn
      Hudhafah the opportunity to meet two world potentates
      of his time�Khusraw Parvez the King of Persia and
      Heraclius, the Byzantine emperor.

      The story of his encounter with Khusraw Parvez began
      in the sixth year of the hijrah when the Prophet
      decided to send some of his Companions with letters to
      rulers outside the Arabian peninsula inviting them to

      The Prophet attached great importance to this
      initiative. These messengers were going to distant
      lands with whom there was no agreement or treaty. They
      did not know the languages of these lands nor anything
      about the ways and disposition of their rulers. They
      were to invite these rulers to give up their religion
      and forsake their power and glory and enter the
      religion of a people who shortly before were almost
      their subjects. The mission was undoubtedly hazardous

      To make known his plan, the Prophet called his
      companions together and addressed them. He started by
      praising God and thanking Him. He then recited the
      Shahadah and went on:

      "I want to send some of you to the rulers of foreign
      lands but don't dispute with me as the Israelites
      disputed with Jesus, the son of Mary.

      "O Prophet of God, we shall carry out whatever you
      wish," they responded. "Send us wherever you desire."

      The Prophet commissioned six of his Sahabah to carry
      his letters to Arab and foreign rulers. One of these
      was Abdullah ibn Hudhafah. He was chosen to take the
      Prophet's letter to Khusraw Parvez, the Persian king.

      Abdullah got his camel ready and bade farewell to his
      wife and son. He set out, alone, and traversed
      mountains and valleys until he reached the land of the

      He sought permission to enter into the king's presence
      informing the guards of the letter he was carrying.
      Khusraw Parvez thereupon ordered his audience chamber
      to be made ready and summoned his prominent aides.
      When they had assembled he gave permission for
      Abdullah to enter.

      Abdullah entered and saw the Persian potentate dressed
      in delicate, flowing robes and wearing a great, neatly
      arranged turban. On Abdullah was the plain, coarse
      clothes of the bedouin. His head though was held high
      and his feet were firm. The honour of Islam burned
      fiercely in his breast and .he power of faith pulsated
      in his heart.

      As soon as Khusraw Parvez saw him approaching he
      signalled to one of his men to take the letter from
      his hand.

      "No," said Abdullah. "The Prophet commanded me to hand
      over this letter to you directly and I shall not go
      against a command of the Messenger of God."

      "Let him come near to me," Khusraw said to his guards
      and Abdullah went forward and handed over the letter.
      Khusraw then called an Arab clerk who originally came
      from Hira and ordered him to open the letter in his
      presence and read its contents. He began reading: "In
      the name of Allah, the Beneficent the Merciful. From
      Muhammad, the Messenger of God, to Khusraw the ruler
      of Persia. Peace on whoever follows the guidance . .

      Khusraw only heard this much of the letter when the
      fire of anger burst within him. His face became red
      and he began to perspire around the neck. He snatched
      the letter from the clerk's hand and began tearing it
      to pieces without knowing what else it contained and
      shouted, "Does he dare to write to me like this, he
      who is my slave"? He was angry that the Prophet had
      not given him precedence in his letter. He then
      commanded Abdullah to be expelled from his assembly.

      Abdullah was taken away, not knowing what would happen
      to him. Would he be killed or would he be set free?
      But he did not want to wait to find out. He said, "By
      God, I don't care what happens to me after the letter
      of the Prophet has been so badly treated." He managed
      to get to his camel and rode off.

      When Khusraw's anger had subsided he commanded that
      Abdullah be brought before him. But Abdullah was
      nowhere to be found. They searched for him all the way
      to the Arabian peninsula but found that he had gone

      Back in Madinah, Abdullah told the Prophet how Khusraw
      had torn his letter to pieces and the Prophet's only
      reply was, "May God tear up his kingdom".

      Meanwhile, Khusraw wrote to Badhan, his deputy in the
      Yemen, to send two strong men to "that man who has
      appeared in the Hijaz" with orders to bring him to

      Badhan despatched two of his strongest men to the
      Prophet and gave them a letter to him in which he was
      ordered to go with the two men to meet Khusraw without
      delay. Badhan also asked the two men to get whatever
      information they could on the Prophet and to study his
      message closely.

      The men set out, moving very quickly. At Ta'if they
      met some Quraysh traders and asked them about
      Muhammad. "He is in Yathrib," they said and they went
      on to Makkah feeling extremely happy. This was good
      news for them and they went around telling other
      Quraysh, "You will be pleased. Khusraw is out to get
      Muhammad and you will be rid of his evil."

      The two men meanwhile made straight for Madinah where
      they met the Prophet, handed him the letter of Badhan
      and said to him, "The king of kings, Khusraw, has
      written to our ruler Badhan to send his men to get
      you. We have come to take you with us. If you come
      willingly, Khusraw has said that it will be good for
      you and he will spare you any punishment. If you
      refuse, you will know the power of his punishment. He
      has power to destroy you and your people."

      The Prophet smiled and said to them, "Go back to your
      mounts today and return tomorrow."

      On the following day, they came to the Prophet and
      said to him, "Are you prepared to go with us to meet

      "You shall not meet Khusraw after today," replied the
      Prophet. "God has killed him and his son Shirwaih has
      taken his place on such a night and on such a month."

      The two men stared in the face of the Prophet. They
      were completely dumbfounded.

      "Do you know what you are saying?" they asked. "Shall
      we write about this to Badhan?"

      "Yes," replied the Prophet, "and say to him that my
      religion has informed me about what has happened to
      the kingdom of Khusraw and that if he should become
      Muslim, I would appoint him ruler over what he now

      The two men returned to the Yemen and told Badhan what
      had happened. Badhan said, "If what Muhammad has said
      is true, then he is a Prophet. If not then we shall
      see what happens to him."

      Not long afterwards, a letter from Shirwaih came to
      Badhan in which he said, "I killed Khusraw because of
      his tyranny against our people. He regarded as lawful
      the killing of leaders, the capturing of their women
      and the expropriating of their wealth. When this my
      letter reaches you, take the allegiance of whoever is
      with you on my behalf."

      As soon as Badhan had read Shirwaih's letter, he threw
      it aside and announced his entry into Islam. The
      Persians with him in the Yemen also became Muslim.

      That's the story of Abdullah ibn Hudhafah's meeting
      with the Persian king. His meeting with the Byzantine
      emperior took place during the caliphate of Umar ibn
      alKhattab. It too is an astonishing story.

      In the nineteenth year after the Hijrah, Umar
      despatched an army to fight against the Byzantines. In
      it was Abdullah ibn Hudhafah. News of the Muslim force
      reached the Byzantine emperior. He had heard of their
      sincerity of faith, and their willingness to sacrifice
      their lives in the way of God and His Prophet. He gave
      orders to his men to bring to him any Muslim captive
      they might take alive.

      God willed that Abdullah ibn Hudhafah should fall
      captive to the Byzantines and he was brought before
      the Emperor. The Emperor looked at Abdullah for a long
      time. Suddenly he said, "I shall make a proposal to
      you." "What is it?" asked Abdullah.

      "I suggest that you become a Christian. If you do
      this, you will be set free and I shall grant you a
      safe refuge."

      The prisoner's reaction was furious: "Death is
      preferable to me a thousand times to what you ask me
      to do."

      "I see that you are a bold man. However, if you
      respond positively to what I propose to you, I will
      give you a share in my authority and swear you in as
      my aide."

      The prisoner, shackled in his chains, smiled and said,
      "By God, if you give me all that you possess and all
      that the Arabs have in exchange for giving up the
      religion of Muhammad, I shall not do so."

      "Then I shall kill you."

      "Do what you want," answered Abdullah.

      The emperor then had him put on a cross and ordered
      his soldiers to throw spears at him, first near his
      hands and then near his feet, all the while telling
      him to accept Christianity or at least give up his
      religion. This he refused over and over again to do.

      The emperor then had him taken down from the wooden
      cross. He called for a great pot to be brought. This
      was filled with oil which was then heated under a
      fierce fire. He then had two other Muslim prisoners
      brought and had one of them thrown into the boiling
      oil. The prisoner's flesh sizzled and soon his bones
      could be seen. The emperor turned to Abdullah and
      invited him to Christianity.

      This was the most terrible test that Abdullah had had
      to face up till now. But he remained firm and the
      emperor gave up trying. He then ordered that Abdullah
      too be thrown into the pot. As he was being taken away
      he began to shed tears. The emperor thought that he
      had at last been broken and had him brought back to
      him. He once more suggested that Abdullah become a
      Christian but to his astonishment, Abdullah refused.

      "Damn you! Why did you weep then?" shouted the

      "I cried," said Abdullah, "because I said to myself�
      'You will now be thrown into this pot and your soul
      will depart'. What I really desired then was to have
      as many souls as the number of hairs on my body and to
      have all of them thrown into this pot for the sake of

      The tyrant then said, "Will you kiss my head? I will
      then set you free?" "And all the Muslim prisoners
      also?" asked Abdullah.

      This the emperor agreed to do and Abdullah said to
      himself, "One of the enemies of God! I shall kiss his
      head and he shall set me and all other Muslim
      prisoners free. There can be no blame on me for doing
      this." He then went up to the emperor and kissed his
      forehead. All the Muslim prisoners were released and
      handed over to Abdullah.

      Abdullah ibn Hudhafah eventually came to Umar ibn
      alKhattab and told him what had happened. Umar was
      greatly pleased and when he looked at the prisoners he
      said, "Every Muslim has a duty to kiss the head of
      Abdullah ibn Khudhafah and I shall start."

      Umar then got up and kissed the head of Abdullah ibn

      Yahoo! Messenger