First to arrive, last to leave.

  • Ashley Rachel Pollard
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 1999
      I've been away and surfed all the sites, everybody was so kind in pointing
      out to me, which saved me hours of research time. So to sum up:

      Petaluna & Santa Rosa RR
      Formed 1904 as freight electric line. It became a SP sub. from 1932, when
      passenger traffic was abandoned. Dieselized in 1947. Went via Sebastopol to
      get to Petaluna. So, if one is modelling the town of Santa Rosa then the
      period you choose will affect what you model. The critical junctures appear
      to me to be as follows:

      1904, because prior to this time the P&SR didn't exist.
      1932, because passenger service stopped on the P&SR.
      1947, because the P&SR was dieselized.

      I'm now dithering over which era to choose, but will model in HO. Also I'm
      not sure how realistic it is for me to model something so "obscure" (I hate
      to use this expression and no offence is meant to any fans). At best,
      recognizing my own modelling limitations, I can see me doing a sort of
      free-lanced version of the line, because of the lack of available models.

      I like making buildings and doing scenery and can even lay track, but
      baseboards and locomotive construction is not something I can do well. I
      never acquired the skills. My father did all that sort of stuff when he was
      alive,
      and even he bought the locomotives to run on the layout.

      So any opinions etc. will be appreciated.
      --
      From Ashley Rachel Pollard
      Ashley@...
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 1999
        On Wed, 5 May 1999, Ashley Rachel Pollard wrote:

        > I'm now dithering over which era to choose, but will model in HO. Also I'm
        > not sure how realistic it is for me to model something so "obscure" (I hate
        > to use this expression and no offence is meant to any fans). At best,
        > recognizing my own modelling limitations, I can see me doing a sort of
        > free-lanced version of the line, because of the lack of available models.

        Some of their cars were pretty similar to PE ones, right? So maybe it
        wouldn't be that hard to get appropriate models.

        T_[o] ----- --[]- Nick Kibre; PTI/STL
        /oOOo=-oo-oo-oo-oo nick@...
      • Birneycar@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 6 , May 5, 1999
          Ashley:

          I've lived proximate to the P&SR for decades, and would recommend
          that you do model this lovely, in many ways quite typical, old interurban.
          (Typical of North Amrican operations.) It connected small towns to a
          regional small city; it had side of the road tracks, tracks down the center
          of main streets, hill&dale tracks, a few substantial bridges and trestles,
          connected in both Santa Rosa and Petaluma with a regional "steam" railroad,
          served on-line business, including large apple packing-houses in remote
          Graton and Forestville, etc. etc.
          Late 1930-early 1940's would be a good era; still electric; reduced
          services;
          trackside buildings and appurtenances fairly simple; etc.
          Earlier responses to you covered available resources very well. Hope
          you can obtain a picture or postalcard of the P&SR car restored and
          operating at the Western Railway Museum (BAERA) at Rio Vista Jct. Very
          prototypical car; superb
          restoration.
          Good luck with your efforts.
          Birneycar (Don)
        • Birneycar@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 6 , May 5, 1999
            Ashley:

            Further to your latest posting: check spelling of PETALUMA, not
            Petaluna!
          • CarletonM@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 6 , May 5, 1999
              In a message dated 99-05-05 08:40:53 Eastern Daylight Time,
              Ashley@... writes:

              > I'm now dithering over which era to choose, but will model in HO. Also I'm
              > not sure how realistic it is for me to model something so "obscure" (I hate
              > to use this expression and no offence is meant to any fans). At best,
              > recognizing my own modelling limitations, I can see me doing a sort of
              > free-lanced version of the line, because of the lack of available models.

              You will have a good time modeling the Petaluma and Santa Rosa RR. When I
              was a kid and lived near San Francisco we went to the Russian River in Sonoma
              County all the time. To get there you drive through Sebastopol, with the
              P&SRRR tracks down the middle of the street. No trolley wire by then of
              course ...

              cm
            • ejjabla@xx.xxx
              Message 6 of 6 , May 5, 1999
                >From: "Ashley Rachel Pollard" <Ashley@...>
                >(snip)
                >Petaluna & Santa Rosa RR
                >Formed 1904 as freight electric line. It became a SP sub. from 1932, when
                >passenger traffic was abandoned. Dieselized in 1947. Went via Sebastopol to
                >get to Petaluna. So, if one is modelling the town of Santa Rosa then the
                >period you choose will affect what you model. The critical junctures appear
                >to me to be as follows:
                >
                >1904, because prior to this time the P&SR didn't exist.
                >1932, because passenger service stopped on the P&SR.
                >1947, because the P&SR was dieselized.
                >(snip)

                One other thing about the PS&R: during passenger service days there was a
                ferry connection between Petaluma and the Ferry Building in San Francisco.

                Ed Blanchette <ejjabla@...>
                Citrus Heights, (Sacramento County) CA
                USA