Fork tools

  • mwhurst@alum.mit.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2000
      I made new PVC front fork spring spacers 109mm in length including
      a stainless steel washer at the top. Trouble is, getting the cap
      bolt back down with the increased preload is tough! I use a 15/16"
      sprocket with a 1/2" ratchet but trying to put enough force down
      on the ratchet handle tends to keep it from releasing on the back
      stroke, so that just as I get the threads to catch, backing up
      undoes it just enough to release the threads. Is there any kind
      of special tool for putting those cap bolts back on?

      Or any suggestions at all? Thanks, Michael
    • Tony Angco
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 30, 2000
        From: <mwhurst@...>
        >Is there any kind
        > of special tool for putting those cap bolts back on?
        Michael,
        I use a deep socket as it allows me a better grip . In combination with a
        6" extension [without a ratchet] I can get the caps started about 1-1 1/2
        turns. Then it's easy to tighten. A pair of leather work gloves gives even
        more grip and allows pressure to be put on the end with the palm.
        Tony Angco
        <ynotfix@...>
        I never met a motorcycle I didn't like
        I have met a few I wouldn't own.....
        <http://www.wgn.net/~ynotfix/a.htm>
        <http://www.homestead.com/ynotfix/Tonys.html>
      • Jonathan West
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2000
          Michael,

          When trying to rethread the caps back on the fock tubes, you mention
          that you use a socket and ratchet. This is how I do it, but I put a
          good size extension (6-8"?) on the socket to grab hold of and keep
          things in contact with eachother while I ratchet away on top. It lets
          you keep things nice and square while you're turning the ratchet back
          and forth as you're hoping not to cross thread the bugger. Make sure
          your support under the engine is sturdy too!

          Jonathan West