Keeping me feet warm

  • Nick Freeman
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
      Hi all was hoping for some cheap tips on how top keep my feet warm this
      winter. I use warm oversocks coupled with Alt-Berg boots but still find on
      my trip to work (About an hour) that my feet are bl**dy freezing and it
      isn't even winter in Manchester yet!
      I am financially embarrassed at present and trying to encourage the misses
      to spend less so going out and buying an electric heated suit ect would
      leave me liable to castration.
      Hoping some of you hardy experienced all weather bikers may be able to
      advise

      TIA

      Nick F (Merlot 1200 97)
    • towman85@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
        go to a local ski and sport shop and try hot chillie under garments
        (excellent) and I use snoboarder socks the feel like something that you could
        use for wet suit diving but help with cold feet...most and ski shop things
        work well but I havent tried any snow mobile shops yet goodluck
        towman85@...

      • Jeff Fennema
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
          Rubber booties. Overshoes. Whatever the bl**dy hell you call them. They don't breathe, so keep the tootsies warm.
          Hi all was hoping for some cheap tips on how top keep my feet warm this
          winter. I use warm oversocks coupled with Alt-Berg boots but still find on
          my trip to work (About an hour) that my feet are bl**dy freezing and it
          isn't even winter in Manchester yet!
          I am financially embarrassed at present and trying to encourage the misses
          to spend less so going out and buying an electric heated suit ect would
          leave me liable to castration.
          Hoping some of you hardy experienced all weather bikers may be able to
          advise

          TIA

          Nick F (Merlot 1200 97)

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations and comments are solely and strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk and discretion of the reader!

        • Ken Hastie
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001

            Sometimes I think you lot in the NW are just soft 8=>)

            We Geordies (this one anyway) rides all winter with thick socks and Alt-berg
            boots and never suffer. Actually, I remember a trip I did last January from
            Newcastle to Warrington, which was about 5 hours, and the temperature never
            got above freezing the whole trip. I found my boots to be warm enough.

            > I am financially embarrassed at present

            been there; still am !

            > buying an electric heated suit ect would leave me liable to castration.

            OK, then Nick. Here I can help you. Heated jackets cost around GBP 130.00

            DIY is the solution. I made my own heated jacket for about GBP 10.00 (OK,
            so perhaps I'm not that tough after all). It was very easy. I have a
            document on my PC at home which I wrote on how to do it which I always
            intended to get published, but never did. Basically you use your existing
            jacket liner (or buy a thin quilted jacket liner from your Army/Navy surplus
            store) and sew a wire into it (you can buy it in 100 feet reels from RS
            Components) which acts as a heating element. It is very effective; it's
            like riding with an electric blanket wrapped around you. Mine has been in
            use for almost two years now, and it is very effective. Your one hour
            journey will pass so comfortably. 100 feet of cable does three jackets, so
            my mate made one, and I made another for my young lady, all from the one
            reel. She loves it, even on chilly days in Summer!

            I think I rated the jacket at around 35 to 40 watts (can't remember
            exactly), which is less than a headlamp bulb. I've done the hard work for
            you. I recommend which wire to buy, how long to cut it, the resistance you
            are looking for (if you don't have a resistance meter, don't worry, just
            take my word that 28 to 30 feet is about right), and Bob's your uncle.

            Come on, give it a go. You'll be glad you did. I often thought about
            making heated jacket liners up, and selling them for around GBP 30.00
            including a switched/fused/LED control box, but I would suggest you have a
            go yourself. It really is easy. If you don't fancy the challenge, I could
            probably make one up for you.

            I am willing to help with advice.

            This winter, I am going to experiment with heated glove liners as well.

            Ken the Geordie
          • Nick Freeman
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 31, 2001
                Gerbing electric socks are a real bargin @ $59.00 US. and they
                last a real long time and are nice and warm.
                Tom