Re: RE:Front Brake Pads

  • Rick Willmore
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2001
      --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., TBuse5@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 9/28/01 6:33:46 PM Central Daylight Time,
      > pproduc1@s... writes:
      >

      > > Paul, I have always changed my brake fluid to dot 5 fluid in all
      my bikes.
      > > Works the same and unless it gets dirty,(I don't know how that
      would happen
      > > in a sealed system), you don't have to replace it, and it doesn't
      get

      > It's what Harley uses in its brake systems. It also doesn't eat
      your paint
      > if spilled.
      >
      > Terry

      Hi Terry
      I don't know that that's a recommendation. I found with the 2
      Harleys I've owned, that their brakes were only marginally better at
      slowing me down than dragging my feet on the ground (Flintstone
      style) and praying loudly was.
      Rick
    • TBuse5@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2001
        In a message dated 10/1/01 5:14:51 PM Central Daylight Time,
        jeff@... writes:

        > DO NOT use DOT 5 in any anti-lock system, it will NOT function correctly.

        Don't use DOT 5 in ANY system designed for another DOT rating. It will turn
        the fluid to this really nasty mush.

        Terry
        2000 Trophy 900 "Melonee"
        2000 Speed Triple "Loraly"

      • Jeff Fennema
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2001
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 2, 2001
            In a message dated 10/2/01 1:24:32 AM Central Daylight Time,
            willmore@... writes:

            > Hi Terry
            > I don't know that that's a recommendation. I found with the 2
            > Harleys I've owned, that their brakes were only marginally better at
            > slowing me down than dragging my feet on the ground (Flintstone
            > style) and praying loudly was.
            > Rick

            Going from a mechanical drum front brake (1970 FLH) to dual disk on a 1997
            FLHT, I thought the brakes were wonderful. :^)= However, the brakes on my
            Trophy are far better & the brakes on my Speed Triple even better. In
            Harley's defense, their new brakes are a vast improvement. (The hydraulic
            drum on my 70 Harley was much better than the brick that passes for a brake
            on my Triple.)

            Terry
            2000 Trophy 900 "Melonee"
            2000 Speed Triple "Loraly"

          • Jeff Fennema
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 3, 2001
              > Hi Terry
              > I don't know that that's a recommendation. I found with the 2
              > Harleys I've owned, that their brakes were only marginally better at
              > slowing me down than dragging my feet on the ground (Flintstone
              > style) and praying loudly was.
              > Rick

              Going from a mechanical drum front brake (1970 FLH) to dual disk on a 1997
              FLHT, I thought the brakes were wonderful. :^)= However, the brakes on my
              Trophy are far better & the brakes on my Speed Triple even better. In
              Harley's defense, their new brakes are a vast improvement. (The hydraulic
              drum on my 70 Harley was much better than the brick that passes for a brake
              on my Triple.)

              On the other hand, the Triumph's rear brake is appropriate for the amount of weight on the tyre when braking very hard. (not much weight as it's in the air).

              The Harley's vast improvement is in comparison to themselves, not to any other bike.
              And certainly not even to comtemporary ('75 era) bikes from Italy with the (even today) powerful Brembo caliper and iron disc combination.