Re: Meeting somewhere Central (serious)

  • Tom Witt
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2001
      I just got back from a two-day camping trip with several other
      members of another motorcycle list. They called it the "Ohio Meating"
      ("Meating" being a term meaning "meeting in person", not online). We
      met in Southeastern Ohio and did a group ride thru some of the area
      all the way down to the edge of WV that is famous for great
      motorcycle roads. Very rural area, lots of twisties. The Apalachian
      mountains (they really aughta call them "hills"! Hehe) are beautiful
      this time of year. Unfortunately camping was a bit brisk and it was
      hard to get a good nights sleep when the temps dropped down into the
      upper-30's.<g>

      The Trophy performed flawlessly in several different types of riding
      conditions. I finally broke the "40MPG mark" and actually saw about
      44MPG on the trip back.

      I'm up for a group meeting somewhere, but am limited on the distance
      I can travel based on time (full time job, family, etc). Would have
      to be a weekend thing for me. Either that, or I'd have to take off
      work which I wouldn't be able to do until next year. Don't mind
      riding in the cold, but it's gonna be getting REAL cold real soon for
      some us in the Northern Sates.

      Tom (Southwestern Ohio) - 96BRG900

      --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., motoworld2001@y... wrote:
      > Me, Me,!!
      > You can put me on the list since I suggested it!! My computer
      > skills are lacking but the flesh is willing as long as my wife will
      > cope with the concept. You know a bunch of motorcyclest all in one
      > place at the same time, and to make it even more scarry all Trophy
      > riders! Seriously my skills on the computer are not up to par so
      for
      > that end of it I'm about usless but I do like to ride and hang out
      in
      > nice places with good food, people, and drink and not always in
      that
      > order! Keep me informed.
      > Tom
      >

      > --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., brucetrophy@c... wrote:
      > >
      > > > Seriously though....I'd ride miles to meet folks from the list!
      > >
      > > I would enjoy this a great deal. Perhaps we could find someplace
      > > central to the US and another place central to the UK. We could
      > post
      > > pics, have a brew, etc. If any of the US group think it is a
      good
      > > idea we could set a date after the snow melts for those in the
      > Arctic
      > > states and Canada. If we are really serious then we would first
      > have
      > > to have a post or database created that everyone responded to
      with
      > > their hometown. We could then figure out what was indeed central
      > for
      > > the majority of us, I doubt it is Kansas although it might be.
      > > I for one would like to meet, we could exchange squid stories and
      > > tales of former daring such as the time my rear
      wheel "accidentally"
    • brucetrophy@cs.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2001

        > I'm up for a group meeting somewhere, but am limited on the
        distance
        > I can travel based on time (full time job, family, etc). Would have
        > to be a weekend thing for me.

        I think this will be an issue for many. This is why I suggested we
        compile a list of where everyone lives from those who are
        interested. This way we can actually figure out what is "central" to
        those who want to do it and then from there figure out where we want
        to meet. I thought the idea of the two wheel resort was good but it
        may be a 1000 miles from where the majority of the group lives.
        I know several (to include myself) are somewhat leery of posting a
        lot of personal information in easily accessed files areas. So, I am
        offering to gather the info on where people live, compile it, and
        report back to the group. I am not a statistician, computer pro, nor
        do I know geometry. I can, however, look at the data and make some
        suggestions to the group. If you don't want to send me your hometown
        then just put your name and part of the state you live in. For
        instance, Billy Bob Bubba in East Texas. Some of you live in small
        states so the area does not matter, for those in Texas, California,
        Alaska and a few others it does.
        Here is the format if you are interested

        Name
        Location
        Preferred time of year in 2002

        After we get this we can then work on where we want to meet based on
        what is central to the group that responds. If we can actually agree
        on a central place and pull this off then we all need to send a
        thanks to Tom for coming up with the idea. Good idea Tom, we will
        soon see if we are all too independent to make it work for a large
        number of the group.
        Bruce
      • Trey Herb
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 1, 2001
          Trey Herb
          Northern Virginia
          Mid May

          http://phone.yahoo.com
        • Brian E.
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 1, 2001
            Brian Ervin
            Central Mississippi
            anytime
          • Tom Witt
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 1, 2001
              Tom Witt, Southwestern Ohio. Within the next few weeks, I can
              probably do anything within Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, and possibly
              bordering edges of surrounding states (Western Ill, SE Mich, Northern
              Tenn, Eastern Penn, Etc). Once spring rolls around, I can probably
              expand that out without too much trouble and possibly even be able to
              stretch it out more than a couple days depending on scheduling. No
              real preference in specific dates.

              What we did with my other group to decide "WHEN" was to post several
              choices and allowed everyone to vote for the dates they were able to
              come. The one with the most votes became the date of our gathering.

              Tom (SW Ohio) - 96BRG900

              --- In TriumphTrophy@y..., brucetrophy@c... wrote:

              > > I'm up for a group meeting somewhere, but am limited on the
              > distance
              > > I can travel based on time (full time job, family, etc). Would
              have
              > > to be a weekend thing for me.
              >
              > I think this will be an issue for many. This is why I suggested we
              > compile a list of where everyone lives from those who are
              > interested. This way we can actually figure out what is "central"
              > those who want to do it and then from there figure out where we
              want
              > to meet. I thought the idea of the two wheel resort was good but
              it
              > may be a 1000 miles from where the majority of the group lives.
              > I know several (to include myself) are somewhat leery of posting
              > lot of personal information in easily accessed files areas. So, I
              am
              > offering to gather the info on where people live, compile it, and
              > report back to the group. I am not a statistician, computer pro,
              nor
              > do I know geometry. I can, however, look at the data and make some
              > suggestions to the group. If you don't want to send me your
              hometown
              > then just put your name and part of the state you live in. For
              > instance, Billy Bob Bubba in East Texas. Some of you live in small
              > states so the area does not matter, for those in Texas, California,
              > Alaska and a few others it does.
              > Here is the format if you are interested
              >
              > Name
              > Location
              > Preferred time of year in 2002
              >
              > After we get this we can then work on where we want to meet based
              on
              > what is central to the group that responds. If we can actually
              agree
              > on a central place and pull this off then we all need to send a
              > thanks to Tom for coming up with the idea. Good idea Tom, we will
              > soon see if we are all too independent to make it work for a large
              > number of the group.
              > Bruce
            • Jeff Fennema
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 1, 2001
                Jeff Fennema
                west of Chicago, 80 klicks
                > I'm up for a group meeting somewhere, but am limited on the
                distance
                > I can travel based on time (full time job, family, etc). Would have
                > to be a weekend thing for me.

                I think this will be an issue for many. This is why I suggested we
                compile a list of where everyone lives from those who are
                interested. This way we can actually figure out what is "central" to
                those who want to do it and then from there figure out where we want
                to meet. I thought the idea of the two wheel resort was good but it
                may be a 1000 miles from where the majority of the group lives.
                I know several (to include myself) are somewhat leery of posting a
                lot of personal information in easily accessed files areas. So, I am
                offering to gather the info on where people live, compile it, and
                report back to the group. I am not a statistician, computer pro, nor
                do I know geometry. I can, however, look at the data and make some
                suggestions to the group. If you don't want to send me your hometown
                then just put your name and part of the state you live in. For
                instance, Billy Bob Bubba in East Texas. Some of you live in small
                states so the area does not matter, for those in Texas, California,
                Alaska and a few others it does.
                Here is the format if you are interested

                Name
                Location
                Preferred time of year in 2002

                After we get this we can then work on where we want to meet based on
                what is central to the group that responds. If we can actually agree
                on a central place and pull this off then we all need to send a
                thanks to Tom for coming up with the idea. Good idea Tom, we will
                soon see if we are all too independent to make it work for a large
                number of the group.
                Bruce

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Please remember that all opinions, suggestions, data citations and comments are solely and strictly the responsibility of each contributor. Making use of the information is solely at the risk and discretion of the reader!

              • TBuse5@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 1, 2001
                  In a message dated 10/1/01 10:26:44 AM Central Daylight Time,
                  brucetrophy@... writes:

                  > Here is the format if you are interested
                  >
                  > Name
                  > Location
                  > Preferred time of year in 2002

                  Terry
                  Pensacola, Florida
                  Flexible

                • John Norton
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 1, 2001
                    Triumph is having their 100 year bash next year maybe we could make the
                    event a national rally. Arkansas, Missouri or Kentucky have great roads and
                    are somewhat central. Eureka Springs AK, Branson MO or the wine country West
                    of St. Louis would be worth a look. All of teem are <1000 miles from a lot
                    of riders.
                  • motoworld2001@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 1, 2001
                      Tom Donovan
                      Southern Connneticut
                      Spring 2002

                      Thank's
                    • L. Peer
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 2, 2001
                        Larry Peer

                        Central CA

                        Late Summer
                      • Trey Herb
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 2, 2001
                          I was actually thinking Southern Illinois.

                          --- John Norton <jgnorton621@...> wrote:
                          > Triumph is having their 100 year bash next year
                          > maybe we could make the
                          > event a national rally. Arkansas, Missouri or
                          > Kentucky have great roads and
                          > are somewhat central. Eureka Springs AK, Branson MO
                          > or the wine country West
                          > of St. Louis would be worth a look. All of teem are
                          > <1000 miles from a lot
                          > of riders.

                          http://phone.yahoo.com
                        • Dave Cottini
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 2, 2001
                            i live in exeter, i'll be there

                          • jfpoulin@kpmindustries.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 3, 2001
                              I am in Montreal, Canada.
                              Would like to be part of that meeting.

                              J.F. Poulin
                              1999 900 blue trophy
                            • mikepbest@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 3, 2001
                                An excuse for a long ride, talking about bikes and meeting new
                                friends? Count me in!

                                Mike Best
                                Windsor, Ontario, Canada
                                Anytime Mid-May to Late September 2002

                                '98 BRG 1200
                              • william stanley
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 4, 2001
                                  Wil Stanley
                                  Kansas (Kanas City area)
                                  Anytime that is NOT winter :)

                                • rmurdoch@magma.ca
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 5, 2001
                                    Howdy,

                                    I just returned from my first long rode trip - 4,700Km (~2,900M) in
                                    8.5 days. Toured Canada's east coast (Nova Scotia) including the
                                    sport mecca of the Cabot's Trail. Bike ran flawlessly; except for
                                    burnt tail light on last day (the only day I wanted to run at night),
                                    and still not fixed - can't locate the fault.

                                    Please count me in to meet the great folks on this group.

                                    Name: Ron Murdoch
                                    Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Great White North
                                    Preferred ToY: 2002 w/ no salt on the roads

                                    --- In TriumphTrophy@y...,: