Hayabusa Exhaust

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 20, 2013
      Good Day all:
          In my internet trolling I've found several exhaust can manufactures that list Hayabusa mufflers being compatible with my 2001 Trophy. When I found the first one I couldn't believe it but Two Brothers, AMF Apex, and few others claim the same thing. Any body have a close proximity to a Hayabusa to see if this is a possibility? Finding cans that would slip onto D&D mid pipes would not pose much of a problem but these all have their own mid pipes and are guaranteed to fit my '01 Trophy or I can return them for a full refund. The only problem with that of course is the return shipping would be on my dollar! :-\
      --
      Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB

    • Samuel Crider

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 20, 2013

               I'd be a little skeptical of that eBay link you sent. It says 400+ vehicles... Like it's totally generic and they just checked everything.

              But that leads me to a question I've had...why can't an exhaust shop fab something up? They might have to cut up an existing part to harvest flanges and mounts, but a cylindrical can is a can. Get diameter and length right and you just need to affix a hanger and weld the pipe on.

              I know a friend who I'm sure could do it for me - a fab shop which builds race cars.

              Someone with a water jet or laser could cut some flanges for us...or they may already be out there from other models.

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 20, 2013
                448 Vehicles to be exact! I totally agree with you. I learned that when I bought my D&D's. They are a generic can and a mid-pipe left and right. They were made for a '95 and I have an '01! Both mid pipes could be manipulated to fit my '01 but the center stand would not retract all the way if I configured them to clear my panniers. If I left them alone the spewed upwards like a Sprint and my Trophy panniers wouldn't fit. Perusing the D&D site they are predominately racing pipes which is why they are so loud. However D&D is addressing that issue and have come out with street models and race models and new packing kit that uses a much quieter packing material. Had I not come up with a set of Staintunes I would have gone to my local muffler shop and had a custom mid-pipe made that allowed my center stand to retract all of the way. D&D is not particularly interested in whether your center stand retracts or not as race bikes don't use them anyway. Some of the silencers they make for other models state clearly that the center stand wont work. I think the Bonneville is one of them.
                    But back to the issue at hand. These cans appeared on Ebay in my Trophy 1200 search for parts so I clicked on them which led me on an excursion to see if any of the other cans for Hayabusa were also compatible with the Trophy and several are. That's what led me to ask if anyone is near a Hayabusa to look at the mid pipes and see if they look like they could be compatible with a Trophy.
                    Several of the silencer sites use the same fitting chart and say that their cans are compatible with an '01 Trophy.
                BTW:There are no flanges to mount the cans on the tail pipes. Only where the down pipes connect onto the head.
                Thanks for your input!
                Best regards.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 21, 2013
                    He Ed,
                      I remember back in my old Harley daze, that many of us used to go over to a certain shop (named for the king with the non-ferris touch). The guys there on a dead nite there, rolled my old Harley into the shop, and bent up some very cool header pipes to run a set of baffles in when I felt like it. Then they did it again but added a little oval muffler with two pipes out the back. The "Bender" guy was absolutely jaw dropping with that machine. I used good header paint (Black), and while I used to think the muffler looked a little too automotive. I painted it gray. Now,you need to look for a "body Shop" or an "Alignment shop", a good number of them race on weekends. If you happen to spot a beat up racecar over in the corner, you're talking to the right guys. You need a custom muffler shop, not one of the chain outfits. Look for a stock-car on a trailer or one in the corner. If they have a racecar they can fix anything!