Hey Ed J.?

    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 10, 2013
      Hey Ed do you have any idea what a set of stock can are going for? It
      just occurred to me that maybe my EOMs are maybe worth the same $$$$$
      $ as you want for those D&D cans?
      Poppa

            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 11, 2013
              Hey Sam;
                  Back in the day we used steel wool in our straight pipes for town use in our Hot Rods. I think the same would apply with the D&D's. The one's I have are the carbon fiber and the end caps are not removable so it would be just a matter of stuffing the steel wool up the pipe and then devising a method to hold it in. There were no "end caps" on our Hot Rods either so it was just a matter of drilling four holes in opposite pairs and then running wire through the holes to keep the steel wool from blowing out. You can adjust the sound by the type of steel wool used.
                  I don't remember if you have a BBBB or a BBB but it may be a different ball game on the BBB as I have a BBBB and live in a very quiet little residential area on the beach side near Melbourne, FL. I find that I can purr through the neighborhood and the beach side drive [which is 45 mph strictly enforced]. I could keep them pretty quiet yet they had some presence to them. Getting on the Interstate I had a real "BARK" @ about 5000 rpm but above a below that they were way less objectionable than a Harley with straight pipes that are running all over the area here without any problems. Of course all of the above is dependent on gearing, riding style, and BBBB or BBB. Having never ridden a BBB I don't know how often you run in the 5000 rpm range or if that is even the resonant range for them on a BBB.
                  The only reason I took them off my '01 BBBB is that the mid pipes are made for a '95 and while they will fit on my '01 the center stand would not retract all the way up which only caused a cosmetic problem as it would still retract until it hit the mid pipe. The other reason is that I acquired a set of Staintunes which I understood was the ultimate cans for a Trophy. They are very pristine and everything works well but I kind of miss the "Bark" of the D&D's as the Staintunes are not much louder than the stock cans. Now I'm back in the position that riding with my brother's Harley and all his Harley friends I can't hear my engine at all leaving a stop light! I have go strictly by the tachometer for shift points and that makes it a little tough to not out accelerate the Hog's and leave them in my dust. [Most times they all would rather I didn't come with them at all because they have to work too hard to keep up! :-P
                  If I can't find a home for these D&D's I may well just have a new left side mid pipe custom made and put them back on once in a while. 8-)
              Regards

              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 11, 2013

                Hey Fella's,

                I just received a order of proper steel wool from the bandit. The ends are riveted on these which are the aluminum and black model. For my taste they are about 15-20% louder than I would like. On the highway at about 60mph they begin to produce a definite roar. Personally, I believe the overall performance is worse than with the stock slipons. I also just replaced my large oem screen with the angled lip. Which had finally turned into a dirty milky cloud. I replaced it with the smaller standard oem unit. Unbelievably, the smaller screen slightly reduced the buffering and wind noise levels. Providing I dodge the rain, I don't expect to miss the larger screen. I have over the years always employed earplugs. Pretty much except when sleeping. But at 51, I have still lost a substantial amount of hearing along with increased levels of ringing. Anyway. l also, just replaced the timing tensioner spring. The OE was 69mm in length and the replacement 76mm. This produced a HUGE difference! Before I could detect all kinds or can of nuts and bolts racket. Plus recently, a noticeable valve timing oscillation at idle. Which was producing some low popping exhaust notes.She now sounds better than the day I first rode her. With a major reduction in popping. So, I just ordered a replacement timing chain, sprockets, and guide after now realizing that they are likely beat. So, once the parts all arrive she's looking at the first major tune up since the previous ownership. I never thought I'd grow to admire  this bike as much as I do. Contrary to most I encounter. I consider her to be a highly reliable machine and a pure joy to wrap around.

                Enjoy the ride,

                Samuel

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 13, 2013
                  Hey Sam;
                      Is the roar can of course vary at different speeds depending on gearing. Do you have a BBB or BBBB? Mine had a roar as well but it was not at an rpm that I used much anyway so I didn't find them objectionable.
                      Regard the screen cloudiness an alternative to replacing the wind screen is to follow the instructions for cleaning plastic headlights. With a LOT of elbow grease you CAN bring them back to almost new luster and clearness.
                  HTH Somebody with limited funds like me! :-[

                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 13, 2013
                        Wow! I had too many thoughts and interruptions in this post and also should have changed the subject line! :-[
                    Headlight cleaning videos are plentiful on YouTube. There are several methods but they are all pretty much the same process just use different raw materials.
                    Sorry for sloppy post!

                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 13, 2013

                      Hey Ed,

                      She's a BBBB with stock gearing. The D&D's have certainly eliminated the stealth factor that I had grown quite fond of. I've been on the hunt for Staintunes for the last two years . Nevertheless, I was at bike nite a few weeks ago and up walks this guy with these for sale. So, she's loud n proud for the foreseeable future. I just received an order of stainless wool from the bandit. It looks like it would take about 3 packages to restuff one can fairly tight. So, should I just stuff some down the center and see how much effect it has? That's what I'm thinking at this point. Or order a bunch more wool.

                      Samuel
                      96 BBBB PB
                      New Orleans

                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 13, 2013
                        Hey Sam;
                            That's what we used to do with our Hot Rods! The biggest problem with that is finding a way to keep the steel wool from blowing out the end of the pipe. In our youth we just drilled four holes in opposing pairs and made an "X" out of some coat hanger wire. Of course it rusted out but we changed it out so often that was not a problem. Now I would be hard pressed to find a wire coat hanger around this house! :-D These days they are all plastic! The advantage of this is you can "tune" the sound till you get what you want. Totally adjustable once you come across a way to hold it in.
                            My solution was to avoid that "roar" point and either go above or below it. As soon as I got it all figured out I came across the matching Staintune to the LH Staintune I've been sitting on for two years! Of all places to come from I located it in Tasmania from a seller that primarily deals in Adult Paraphernalia. How he got it I don't know but it doesn't matter. I'm back to "Stealth Mode" again! 8-)
                        On 11/13/2013 3:54 PM, Samuel Crider wrote:

                        Hey Ed,

                        She's a BBBB with stock gearing. The D&D's have certainly eliminated the stealth factor that I had grown quite fond of. I've been on the hunt for Staintunes for the last two years . Nevertheless, I was at bike nite a few weeks ago and up walks this guy with these for sale. So, she's loud n proud for the foreseeable future. I just received an order of stainless wool from the bandit. It looks like it would take about 3 packages to restuff one can fairly tight. So, should I just stuff some down the center and see how much effect it has? That's what I'm thinking at this point. Or order a bunch more wool.

                        Samuel
                        96 BBBB PB
                        New Orleans

                      • slovcan
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 13, 2013

                          First of all, Ed, were you really searching for Staintunes when you stumbled upon this dealer? ;-) Just kidding!

                          Samuel, I would NOT stuff the cans this way. I think the heat and pressure will blow/burn it out faster than you can say WTF??? Have a real close look at the end caps on the D&D's. If there are no rivets holding them on then there must be spot welds. Find those, drill them out, pull the caps, stuff the steel wool (or fibreglass wool) in around between the can wall and the centre tube. Then pop rivet the end caps back on. Don't drill a huge hole at the spot welds. Start with 1/8" and work up to 3/16". Make sure to centre punch exactly the centre of the spot weld before drilling.

                          There might be spot welds or rivets at the end inside the pipe, too.

                          Just my $0.02 (2p).

                          Cheers,

                          Glenn

                          ---In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, <edljohnson2@...> wrote:

[...]

                        • Bill Bennit
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 14, 2013
                            G'day Ed, regarding those Staintunes - I can only compare mine to the
                            originals but they are definitely louder, I find them just right for the
                            way I use the bike. Any louder and they would be too intrusive on longer
                            runs. Mine have removable baffles but they were way too loud for me
                            (especially for my pillion) when removed. I assume you have tried them
                            with the baffles removed.
                            I bought these brand new on ebay for $400 and the seller was only 100
                            miles away! Rode over on the originals, rode back on the Staintunes -
                            good comparison.
                            However, as you say, it depends on what we want and how we use them.

                            Regards

                            Bill

                            98 BRG BBBB

                            The other reason is that I acquired a set of Staintunes which I
                            understood was the ultimate
                            cans for a Trophy. They are very pristine and everything works well but
                            I kind of miss the "Bark" of the D&D's as the Staintunes are not much
                            louder than the stock cans.
                          • gluman3

                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 15, 2013
                                    Actually Glenn he just posted them on the US Ebay but your inference certainly makes a better story! :-! :-)
                                There is no doubt that your method would be the correct way to do it if possible but we are not talking about stuffing the whole center pipe solid with steel wool here! :-D Back in the day we used what they called "Chore Boy's" or "Chore Girls" I can't remember which. It may have had something to do with the density of the steel wool but they were about twice the size of an SOS pad but had no soap in them. One wad in each pipe of a full race 327 Chevy [with twin pipes] transformed it into a street legal exhaust. BTW it's the same principle that Staintune uses to quiet down their cans. The objective is to restrict the exhaust noise just enough to take the objectionable edge off. It doesn't take as much as one would think but it IS a temporary solution that has a limited life span but WTF we were young and bullet proof. Anyone over 40 had one foot in the grave and non of us wanted to live past there! 8-) [My how things change! :-P ]
                                Cheers

                              • djacarr@sky.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 15, 2013
                                  Love the sound of these Staintunes....

                                  ,___
                                • DUKESTER
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 15, 2013
                                    Searched the internet and no Staintunes for my trophy.

                                    Malcolm Duke
                                    Hurst,Tx

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 16, 2013
                                          It took me 2+ years to find a set for my '01. The last set I saw was for a '95 and you can't manipulate the mid-pipe like you can the D&D's. They went for over $500!
                                      D&D is in Fort Worth. Maybe you can buy just the mid pipes from them Malcolm. Where in Texas are you?
                                      On 11/15/2013 10:15 PM, DUKESTER wrote:
                                      Searched the internet and no Staintunes for my trophy.

                                      Malcolm Duke
                                      Hurst,Tx

                                      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "djacarr@..." <djacarr@...> wrote:

                                      Love the sound of these Staintunes....

                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9nuyUfp6_c

                                      ,___

                                      ------------------------------------

                                      List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

                                      Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                      Yahoo Groups Links

                                      <*> Your email settings:
                                          Individual Email | Traditional

                                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                                      <*> To change settings via email:
                                          TriumphTrophy-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                          TriumphTrophy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                    • djacarr@sky.com
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 16, 2013
                                        These seem to have a very similar shape to the oem silencers for the Mk1 Trophy.

                                        Might be worth asking the seller for some measurements?

                                        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, mailto:djacarr@... mailto:djacarr@... wrote:

                                        Love the sound of these Staintunes....

                                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9nuyUfp6_c

                                        ,___

                                        List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

                                          -- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter. SPAMfighter has removed 9107 of my spam emails to date. Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfighter.com/len   Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan http://www.spamfighter.com/SLOW-PCfighter?cid=sigen