RE: 900 Tripple Success!

  • greg95ns
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2013

      Hi Bob,

      Glad to read you are getting  the Thunderbird sorted out. I'm surprised at how small the jets are. 120 main jets are too small for my bikes. Mine require 125's. Of course the T-Bird has different cams and compression than the Trophy so the jetting requirements will be different. Factory Pro offers some good stuff for carbs. Here's their link.

      http://www.factorypro.com/products/jets.html

      Now if you really want to play with the T-Bird, I've got some extras Green painted (Trophy) cams you can have. It would probably take some power from the bottom and put some more power on the top. Do you know of any local guys with 900 Trophys?

      Doing a bunch of roll-ons would give you a way to  compare performance T-Bird vs Trophy.

      My bikes are real close to my brother's Super 3 up to 100 mph then the Super 3 starts pulling away.

      Greg Andrews

      '96 900 BRG

      '98 Sprint Sport (Frankenstein)

      ---In triumphtrophy@yahoogroups.com, <apsllp@...> wrote:

      Adjusting the valves, and leaning the outside 2 carbs 1/4 turn seem to have cured the T-Bird.

      So fat this year the carbs have been re-built, and synced, new airbox and filter, 3 new Nology coils. The JJolt mod has been done, although I may try stock to see how it goes.  Since doing the JJ, i've noticed the tach needle jumping.

      The engine is running smoother than I remember the entire period of time my father drove it. So far, I've been tinkering with it for a year in my spare time.

      Now no popping at all, just smooth power, almost like my 1200 with a little more growl and less top end.

      Right now she has California spec #95 jets.  I might still go larger on them, not yet sure how large I want to try.

      Bob Clark
      96 BRG T-Bird 900
      2001 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
      Jacksonville, FL

    • Jason Hart
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2013
        The carbs are right .. middle cylinder is slightly bigger so would need a little more fuel. Mine runs much better after fine tuning as well.
        Jason

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9, 2013

          the jumping tacho - according to hearsay - has been associated with an about to fail battery.....only that a few people have said that the tacho was rock solid once they replaced a battery (????)