Re: [TriumphTrophy] Valve Adjustments with Trium ph Tool

  • Samuel Crider
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30, 2013

      Sounds like you've about got the hang of it. Keep us informed of the technique you find easiest.

      Samuel

      On Sep 30, 2013 7:21 AM, "apsllp@..." <apsllp@...> wrote:

      I tried a pick, magenet, and piece of safety wire.  There sure isn't much room to get around the tool which holds the bucket down.

      It starts to move and gets cocked.  I'm thinking a shot of air and or a sewing needle to lift it. I also have a pool of oil in the front which probably isn't helping.  The magenet gets attracted the cams.

      I really don't want to pull the camshaft.

    • apsllp@bellsouth.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2013
        .23mm was the largest gap.  The limit is .20mm.  As I see it, if the gap is to large, the valve won't open as far as expected.  If the gap is too small (or non existant) the valve never closes and the seat gets burned.

        Bob

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2013
          A short blast with the airline from my compressor blew the 2.70mm shim right out of my 900 T-Bird.  I need to go to one of the motorcycle dealers tomorrow and find a 2.75mm shim, then button the machine back up.

          Thanks for the suggestion on using a shot of compressed air.  Much easier and cleaner then poking in the are with a hard metal tool.

          While I'm in there I'll replace the spark plugs and dial the mixture 1/4 turn leaner on cylinders 1 and 3. If everything comes together right, my clearance should be .18MM after I finish. That will put it right in the middle of the spec.

          She should be good to go after that.  Last week I gave her a Johnson Jolt.

          Was good to practice on this machine. Will make doing the 1200 less daunting.

          Bob Clark
          96 BRG T-Bird 900
          01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
          Jacksonville, FL