Re: No blinkie

  • gordon2xbbb
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 30, 2013
      So many responses to this I'm not sure where to start but there are a couple of points that need stating first and foremeost before we all disappear up our own fundaments...

      1) Our Trophies were designed to use 4 x 10watt indicator bulbs, 2 on each side plus a small 2.5 watt repeater in the idiot console so the Flasher Unit will be one that is rated to handle 2(4) x 10W 12V and was a Hella TBB56 Pt No. 4DB003750-13. (10 watts was used as it drew less current from the Alternator/Battery/Charging system than the standard 21 watt system common on most other bikes and all cars)

      2) If you accidentally fit a 21watt Indicator bulb by mistake there will be some degradation of the Operation of the Indicators as previously described.

      3) It also follows that if you fit a car Flasher unit, designed to operate with 4 x 21watt bulbs, it will not work successfully with the standard 4 x 10watt bulb set-up.

      4) There's nothing to stop anybody fitting after market indicators if the need arises, apart from aesthetics and taste but if you fit 21 watt bulbs you need to use a 4 x 21watt rated flasher unit.

      5) Fitting LED bulbs instead of the normal incandescent bulbs requires the use of an LED rated flasher unit because the current drawn by the LEDs is considerably LOWER (about 75% lower actually) than even the 10 watt set-up.
      ***************

      To my mind the initial outlay of proper Surface-Mount Technology amber LED replacement bulbs and an LED rated Flasher Unit is well worth the money as the Indicators are now Bright and Clearly Visible in all daylight conditions, with much sharper ON and OFF characteristics. Plus the added benefit of not giving the battery etc such a hard time of it.
      I have done this LED Upgrade to both of my Trophies and don't regret it for A SECOND.

      A WORD OF CAUTION FOR ANYBODY CONSIDERING SOMETHING SIMILAR :- LED replacement bulbs are polarity sensitive and I found that if they don't work when first fitted directly into the indicator shells you have to transpose the wires at the Indicator Connection points - because they are not all wired the same (different sources of manufacture) and that would not matter with the normal bulbs..

      Hope this helps

      Cheers
      Gordon
      2xBBB 1xTiger 800
      Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK
    • Rick
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 8, 2013
        Thanks for all the inputs on this. I thought I only had responses from Pappa Jack until I looked into my junk folder and for some reason all my TriumphTrophy@... stuff is being filtered out.

        Due to a 6 and 3 year old, I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot yet. With all the info I have received, I am looking forward to diving in and taking a look. Thanks again.

        Rick

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "gordon2xbbb" <gordon.smith29@...> wrote:

        > So many responses to this I'm not sure where to start but there are a couple of points that need stating first and foremeost before we all disappear up our own fundaments...
      • Rick and Rachel Kefauver
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 9, 2013
          Ok so I've determined that low battery, bad connection to left front blinker has taken it's toll on the blinker relay. Any hints where it's located? Under seat or behind dashboard?
            I will probably disassemble seat, fairings, gas tank for additional maintenance,but if I can get another month of riding with a "easy" relay swap...  Thx Rick
        • gordon2xbbb
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 10, 2013
            Hi Rick,

            Which bike you got ?
            MKI (single headlight) or MkII (twin headlights) ?

            MkI it's under the rear of the seat, next to the Fuse Box

            MkII it's mounted directly behind the headlamps, attached almost centrally, to the Fairing Mounting Frame, usually the lower relay if memory serves.

            I hope you're using a decent Service Manual ? Either Triumphs own (CD Version available to download) or The Good Book of Haynes (GBoH) #2162
            HTH

            Cheers
            Gordon
            2xBBB, 1xTiger800
            Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 10, 2013
              Gordon,
              It's the MkII. When I installed the new battery yesterday and tried the blinkers and hazards again, I heard an electrical chatter under the "dashboard" behind the lamps.  Thought I'd ask before I pulled fairings just to find it easy access.  I have the Haynes manual.

              Never an easy pull the seat and swap.  I'm due an air filter clean and radiator flush, so my procrastination is coming to fruition. Guess I get her naked and get to work.

              Thx again, Rick

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 10, 2013
                Hi Rick,

                If you have the time and a suitable work/storage space it's a good idea to familiarise yourself with removing the Nose Section of the Fairing. It means taking off the Screen and Mirrors....BUT it does give brilliant access to all the wiring and connections behind, which may very well require a good going over and re-routing....as well as the offending Flasher Unit - GBoH 9.10 photo 12.3d refers.

                I got ahead of myself earlier - I have mounted a Horn Relay in the same position, hence the confusion (I mentioned the lower one I think)

                Cheers
                Gordon 2xBBB 1xTiger800

                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Rick and Rachel Kefauver <rlkefauver@...> wrote:

                > Gordon,
                > It's the MkII. When I installed the new battery yesterday and tried the blinkers and hazards again, I heard an electrical chatter under the "dashboard" behind the lamps. Thought I'd ask before I pulled fairings just to find it easy access. I have the Haynes manual.
              • Nick Baker private
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 11, 2013

                  For what it’s worth when I take the nose section off my bike I do not remove the screen first, just the mirrors, chin plate, side fairing bolts, headlamp adjuster (from inside the fuse box pocket)  and main fixings under the headlamps. With a little practice it comes off in less than 15 minutes and goes back on about the same time.

                  Cheers, Nick

                • Rick and Rachel Kefauver
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 11, 2013
                    I've had the nose off to replace the rubber bushings for the dash and hoped I never had to return.  Guess I should have cleaned up while I was in there.

                    Part will be in next week, so I can procrastinate another 5 days before I bite the bullet.

                    Rick