Re: [TriumphTrophy] Valve Adjustments with Triumph Tool

  • IVOR COLLINS
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2013
      Hi Bob
      Hope this is of some use to you

      To use the tappet tool -

      Select the pair of valves you want to check.
      With the valves fully closed, rotate the cam followers so the cut outs are in the best position for you to access the apertures
      Rotate the engine forwards (clockwise on the crank bolt) until the cam lobes have depressed the tappets to just below the casting they run in and with the lobe pointing forwards if doing exhaust or back if doing inlet. Failure to observe this results in the lobe colliding with the tool when engine is rotated later.
      The tool is always positioned with the legs facing inwards i.e. nearest the spark  plugs as in the photos
      Fit the tool over the camshaft bearing cap ensuring it is located to engage on the tappets but clear of  the shims when they rise.
      Rotate the engine so the lobes moves away from the tool until you  have just sufficient clearance to prise out the shims from both valves

      Replace the shims and ensure seated by checking it rotates freely
      Rotate the engine back until the lobes depress the tappets
      Remove the tool

      Sorry went a bit over the allotted 25 words but hope this helps the up and coming mechanics to keep on the road and enjoy affordable biking.
      If any of this is still not clear let me know so I can duck and weave some more confusion.

      Despite my bike having only done 18K miles and not yet due for a check, some of the clearances were down to 2 thou (sorry still have to think in imperial sizes sometimes) which is dangerously tight.
      If you are using the Haynes manual the chart says the shims come in 0.05mm increments but they are actually in 0.025mm which makes it much more sensible to get a mid range clearance. Dont forget, there is every chance that a shim you have to replace will be ok in a new location.

      What a great idea to have a shim swap club, it cost me £50 in shims from those nice people at Woburn Triumph who were pretty competative but someone is making money out of something worth no more than a couple of quid. I agree that we may end up with all the thick ones (shims that is), all we need then is someone who has access to a surface grinder!

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 30, 2013
        The Suzuki tool will not work. You either need the Triumph tool or have to
        remove the cam.