Re: [TriumphTrophy] 1200 forks

    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 21, 2013
      Thanks Rod!
      Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB
      On 9/21/2013 5:51 AM, Rod Gill wrote:

      Hi Edd,
      The daytona forks are adjustable for preload, damping and compression, hence you can tailor them to your comfort etc. For example when going camping and two up you can increase preload etcRod

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 21, 2013
        I have a 900, but all MkII body stuff is the same. On my second really
        long ride after getting the bike in the fall of 2001, when I got home,
        one of the fork seals was blown. At that time, Triumph was still selling
        the plastic fork protectors that Jack was referring to. His experience
        is the same as mine - 12 years later, and no problems, including
        numerous trips through bug- and sand-infested driving areas. They were
        (are?) fairly inexpensive, and look, imho, a LOT better than the
        old-fashioned-looking rubber gaiters. Also a lot easier to install, as
        nothing had to be removed. While I was at it, I replaced the front end
        with RaceTech springs and gold cartridge emulators. The difference in
        handling was nothing short of amazing.

        Bud Izen
        Eugene Oregon

        '99 Platimum 900
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 21, 2013
          Hi Bud;
              Being a consummate "tinkerer" I have been pondering the front forks of my Trophy for no other reason that it has almost 100,000 miles on it and although the PO did the head stem bearings I don't see any evidence that the fork seals, bushings, etc. have been done except they are not leaking and the front end doesn't seem excessively  sloppy. { I bought the bike from the original owner and he provided me with all the service receipts  since he bought the bike new.]
               Having said that I've read multiple comments from others saying they have upgraded to the Racetech springs and how it improved the handling. Can you elaborate a little on the handling improvement? Mine just seems to klunk when encountering speed bumps and other bulging imperfections in the road. Beings that most of my riding experience was dirt track over 40 years ago I am really a novice to riding on asphalt and the newest bike I ever had before this Trophy was a '64 Bonneville! [ In fact whenever I heard asphalt mentioned I thought it was in reference to rectal problems! (;-) ]
          On 9/21/2013 3:46 PM, Bud Izen wrote:
          I have a 900, but all MkII body stuff is the same. On my second really
          long ride after getting the bike in the fall of 2001, when I got home,
          one of the fork seals was blown. At that time, Triumph was still selling
          the plastic fork protectors that Jack was referring to. His experience
          is the same as mine - 12 years later, and no problems, including
          numerous trips through bug- and sand-infested driving areas. They were
          (are?) fairly inexpensive, and look, imho, a LOT better than the
          old-fashioned-looking rubber gaiters.  Also a lot easier to install, as
          nothing had to be removed. While I was at it, I replaced the front end
          with RaceTech springs and gold cartridge emulators. The difference in
          handling was nothing short of amazing.

          Bud Izen
          Eugene Oregon

          '99 Platimum 900

          ------------------------------------

          List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

          Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              TriumphTrophy-digest@yahoogroups.com
              TriumphTrophy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • John

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 22, 2013
              The biggest pronounced difference was no more front end dive when
              braking. Not long before changing the front-end components, I made sure
              there was new fork oil, and was topped up. That made some difference,
              but nothing compared to how it was after the change. The second biggest
              difference was a huge improvement when encountering twisty roads and
              sharp corners. My guess is that if you don't drive it like a sport bike
              at least once in a while, you won't notice that much difference.

              Bud Izen

              Eugene Oregon

              '99 Platinum 900
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 22, 2013
                Thanks Bud!
                    Ah! Eugene Oregon! I performed in a Supper club there in the late 60's for about 3.5 years called the Caravelle. I'm sure it's long gone by now. It was right downtown. One of my best buddies was Archie Weinstein.  I even dated his wife a few times Kathy at his request using his credit card. Strangest thing I've ever done in my life. :-[ Archie was a strange but rich dude with a penthouse apartment with a swimming pool on top of his apartment building. I'm sure that's gone now too but I have some great memories of Eugene.
                Ron and Maddy Kress owned the lounge and were great people.
                Thanks for the update.
                On 9/22/2013 12:15 PM, Bud Izen wrote:
                The biggest pronounced difference was no more front end dive when
                braking. Not long before changing the front-end components, I made sure
                there was new fork oil, and was topped up. That made some difference,
                but nothing compared to how it was after the change. The second biggest
                difference was a huge improvement when encountering twisty roads and
                sharp corners. My guess is that if you don't drive it like a sport bike
                at least once in a while, you won't notice that much difference.

                Bud Izen

                Eugene Oregon

                '99 Platinum 900

                List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.