1200 forks

  • Ken Hastie
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 20, 2013
      I need new forks (probably just the stanchions, although I do have a
      stripped thread in the base of one fork so use a through bolt instead)

      Does anyone know if Daytona forks are a straight swap for the Trophy forks ?

      Ken Hastie
      Triumph Trophy 1200, BSA A75 Rocket Three, A10 Golden Flash, B40 350cc, D10
      and D14 Bantams

    • Andy Ringrose

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 20, 2013

          Hi Ken,

          There has got to be a story there about why you need new forks.

          Sprint, and Sprint Sport forks will swap.

          Also teach us how to snip on this new format.

          Thanks,

          Greg Andrews

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 20, 2013

            Nothing serious.  Bike failed MOT this morning on weeping fork oil seal; actually a small puddle formed  8-)

            I already knew the stanchions were pitted and new oil seals last year (and the year before) didn’t last long.

            New stanchions are around 90 quid each whereas there are plenty of forks around on eBay.

            Basically it is cheaper to fit replacement working forks than to fanny on buying and changing stanchions, seals covers etc etc

            There were a nice pair of Daytona forks on eBay for £150, hence my question, but I now understand that to fit them you have to remove the key surround or cut it to allow the top of the forks to fit without obstruction.  When I got back to the seller (national-triumph), he said he had some really good Trophy forks on a bike that had just come in for breaking.  I got them for £129 so that wasn’t too bad.  They should be here Thursday and then I can do a quick swap and get a free retest at the MOT station (has to be done in ten days).

            The advantage of the Daytona forks is they are adjustable, but I have lived without that for the last 14 years so can live without  it for a few more.

            So that’s the story.

            I think it is next weekend some of you guys are heading for Cumbria ?  Wish I could go but I have to work (I work shifts at a marina and work every other weekend)

            Hope you all have fun !

            I don’t see this new format as I have the mails delivered to my Outlook account where everything is the same

            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 20, 2013

              Ken,
              Yes they are that's what i have in mine, it was a straight swap
              For me. Benefit is better handling too.
              Regards rod & dot

              Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 20, 2013

                Ken mine needed cleaning up as they were pitted. I rubbed then down with an oil stone large flat the type to sharpen chisels and theywork perfectly for a long while now.rod

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 21, 2013

                          Hi Edd,
                          The daytona forks are adjustable for preload, damping and compression, hence you can tailor them to your comfort etc. For example when going camping and two up you can increase preload etcRod

                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 21, 2013
                              I have a 900, but all MkII body stuff is the same. On my second really
                              long ride after getting the bike in the fall of 2001, when I got home,
                              one of the fork seals was blown. At that time, Triumph was still selling
                              the plastic fork protectors that Jack was referring to. His experience
                              is the same as mine - 12 years later, and no problems, including
                              numerous trips through bug- and sand-infested driving areas. They were
                              (are?) fairly inexpensive, and look, imho, a LOT better than the
                              old-fashioned-looking rubber gaiters. Also a lot easier to install, as
                              nothing had to be removed. While I was at it, I replaced the front end
                              with RaceTech springs and gold cartridge emulators. The difference in
                              handling was nothing short of amazing.

                              Bud Izen
                              Eugene Oregon

                              '99 Platimum 900
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 21, 2013
                                Hi Bud;
                                    Being a consummate "tinkerer" I have been pondering the front forks of my Trophy for no other reason that it has almost 100,000 miles on it and although the PO did the head stem bearings I don't see any evidence that the fork seals, bushings, etc. have been done except they are not leaking and the front end doesn't seem excessively  sloppy. { I bought the bike from the original owner and he provided me with all the service receipts  since he bought the bike new.]
                                     Having said that I've read multiple comments from others saying they have upgraded to the Racetech springs and how it improved the handling. Can you elaborate a little on the handling improvement? Mine just seems to klunk when encountering speed bumps and other bulging imperfections in the road. Beings that most of my riding experience was dirt track over 40 years ago I am really a novice to riding on asphalt and the newest bike I ever had before this Trophy was a '64 Bonneville! [ In fact whenever I heard asphalt mentioned I thought it was in reference to rectal problems! (;-) ]
                                On 9/21/2013 3:46 PM, Bud Izen wrote:
                                I have a 900, but all MkII body stuff is the same. On my second really
                                long ride after getting the bike in the fall of 2001, when I got home,
                                one of the fork seals was blown. At that time, Triumph was still selling
                                the plastic fork protectors that Jack was referring to. His experience
                                is the same as mine - 12 years later, and no problems, including
                                numerous trips through bug- and sand-infested driving areas. They were
                                (are?) fairly inexpensive, and look, imho, a LOT better than the
                                old-fashioned-looking rubber gaiters.  Also a lot easier to install, as
                                nothing had to be removed. While I was at it, I replaced the front end
                                with RaceTech springs and gold cartridge emulators. The difference in
                                handling was nothing short of amazing.

                                Bud Izen
                                Eugene Oregon

                                '99 Platimum 900

                                ------------------------------------

                                List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

                                Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                <*> Your email settings:
                                    Individual Email | Traditional

                                <*> To change settings online go to:
                                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                                <*> To change settings via email:
                                    TriumphTrophy-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                    TriumphTrophy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              • John

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 22, 2013
                                    The biggest pronounced difference was no more front end dive when
                                    braking. Not long before changing the front-end components, I made sure
                                    there was new fork oil, and was topped up. That made some difference,
                                    but nothing compared to how it was after the change. The second biggest
                                    difference was a huge improvement when encountering twisty roads and
                                    sharp corners. My guess is that if you don't drive it like a sport bike
                                    at least once in a while, you won't notice that much difference.

                                    Bud Izen

                                    Eugene Oregon

                                    '99 Platinum 900
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 22, 2013
                                      Thanks Bud!
                                          Ah! Eugene Oregon! I performed in a Supper club there in the late 60's for about 3.5 years called the Caravelle. I'm sure it's long gone by now. It was right downtown. One of my best buddies was Archie Weinstein.  I even dated his wife a few times Kathy at his request using his credit card. Strangest thing I've ever done in my life. :-[ Archie was a strange but rich dude with a penthouse apartment with a swimming pool on top of his apartment building. I'm sure that's gone now too but I have some great memories of Eugene.
                                      Ron and Maddy Kress owned the lounge and were great people.
                                      Thanks for the update.
                                      On 9/22/2013 12:15 PM, Bud Izen wrote:
                                      The biggest pronounced difference was no more front end dive when
                                      braking. Not long before changing the front-end components, I made sure
                                      there was new fork oil, and was topped up. That made some difference,
                                      but nothing compared to how it was after the change. The second biggest
                                      difference was a huge improvement when encountering twisty roads and
                                      sharp corners. My guess is that if you don't drive it like a sport bike
                                      at least once in a while, you won't notice that much difference.

                                      Bud Izen

                                      Eugene Oregon

                                      '99 Platinum 900

                                      List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.