RE: AV56 Storm new old stock? OK?

  • s1loki
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 18, 2013

       I do agree with you. It would have been better to list it as "NOS" rather than "New".

      --- In triumphtrophy@yahoogroups.com, <dieseldude1@...> wrote:

      Same issue I had with the last set of Conti's from ebay. If your lucky they are on the minus side of two years old. I guess it just depends on how much you ride. I had me pissed as well. But, I decided to use them since I never expected them to last more than two seasons. Those Avons sure look nice. I'm leaning toward a pair myself.

      Samuel

      On Sep 18, 2013 7:33 AM, "Ed Johnson" <edljohnson2@...> wrote:

          I don't know about bike tires but I imagine the principles are the same as car tires. About a year ago I bought a used Honda Civic which had a lot of maintenance work done to it recently plus it had a "brand new" set of tires on it. I commute 25 miles one way to work and 2/3 on a freeway. When the tread came off of one tire I took the car to my regular tire guy to see if he could get a warranty replacement for me. He kindly informed me that the "new" tires were NOS and not safe so I had to replace them. [I've known this guy since he was four years old so not just a sales pitch. He's almost family!] My wife drives an immaculate '92 Pontiac Bonneville which we have kept serviced since it was almost new. She has a home office so uses the car very little. Last year she went on a trip to see her mother from Florida to Alabama. Along the way the tread came off of one tire on the freeway giving her one hell of a scare. Luckily it was a rear tire and she got to the side of the road without incident and a kind state patrolman put on her spare for her. [I didn't know they would do things like that anymore!] I had my mechanic check the car before the trip and when asked about the tires he said they were "like new", no worries! He is not my tire guy and failed to read the date code on the tires. [I don't know where it is or how to do it either!] When she got home I took the car to my tire guy and the same thing applied. Even though they LOOKED like new, she hadn't driven the car so the tires LOOKED like new but had been sitting in the garage long enough where they were outdated so I replaced the other three.
          Moral of the story is; Just cause the tires LOOK new doesn't mean they ARE new! Things are not always what they seem. If you are buying a used car and it has "NEW TIRES" on it, take it to a tire shop to have the tires checked before you buy the car. It may have "NEW" NOS on it!
      HTH

      Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB

      On 9/18/2013 12:02 AM, nort75mk3@... wrote:
      You can find many dated tires in any dealer inventory. The on-line stores probably have even older tires. I recently bought 2 tires on-line advertised "as new" that were 3 years old. Unless a dealer has a massive turnover in inventory of a certain brand and the manufacture sells a lot of that model tire your going to find dated inventory out there.

      In a message dated 9/17/2013 9:42:52 P.M. Central Daylight Time, techshare26@... writes:

      Yeah Bryan. I also read that. I'm asking this Ebay seller to replace this out of date AV56 with a newer Storm 2. We'll see what he does. IMO, you shouln't sell tires as "brand new" on Ebay for full retail price with no mention of mfg date ... when they are about 5 years old or older.

      --- In triumphtrophy@yahoogroups.com, <s1loki@...> wrote:

      From AVON themselves

      What is the age limit of Motorcycle Tyres?

      The British Rubber Manufacturers Association advise tyres should be used within 6 years of manufacture. The tyre should then be removed after a total of 10 years. Avon recommend tyres should be used within 5 years of manufacture. The tyre should then be removed after a total of 7 years.

      Bryan Nill

    • techshare26