RE: Re: [TriumphTrophy] Link To the Johnson Jolt

  • stevethevic
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 2, 2013

      Hi Ed,

      Many thanks - I understand the principle now and will have a go later this week when the diary clears a bit.

      Many thanks again.

      Peace.

      Steve

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, <triumphtrophy@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          This principle is based on the same basis that causes the coils to fail. Bad copper wire. The coils on 23+ crimps and connections down the line from the battery. Each crimp and connection adds resistance. Resistance adds voltage drop. In my case when I measured the + voltage to coils when the starter was turning the engine over it was less than 8 volts and that was with a fully charged new battery. If you are lucky and release the starter at the precise moment the coil voltage can take a leap an the engine will start. With the mod my coil voltage was 11+V during turn over. Starting and low speed running has never been this good since I've owned the bike. It may have been that good when the bike was new but that was a long time ago and I live in a high corrosive environment.
          It's easy to do, cheap, works wonders! Do this first Steve and then save your money for the Motobins! Don't ask me how I know this! [You could find out easily enough if the archives weren't so difficult to search past posts! :-( ]
      HTH
      Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB
      On 9/2/2013 8:00 AM, Ed Johnson wrote:
      Hi Steve;
          I agree with Bob Clark regarding the used coils.  Here is the link to the "Johnson Jolt" which was named that more as a joke than anything else. The modification is shown in great detail here and will make a world of difference in the way your bike runs, starts, and performs. It was "borrowed" from another site; http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=116991 . I didn't invent it.
      Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB

    • adeux60@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 2, 2013

        the positive coil feeds are linked by a crimp in the main wiring harness

        --- In triumphtrophy@yahoogroups.com, <revd.steve.wilkinson@...> wrote:

        Hi Ed,

        Many thanks - I understand the principle now and will have a go later this week when the diary clears a bit.

        Many thanks again.

        Peace.

        Steve

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, <triumphtrophy@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

         Â Ã‚  This principle is based on the same basis that causes the coils to fail. Bad copper wire. The coils on 23+ crimps and connections down the line from the battery. Each crimp and connection adds resistance. Resistance adds voltage drop. In my case when I measured the + voltage to coils when the starter was turning the engine over it was less than 8 volts and that was with a fully charged new battery. If you are lucky and release the starter at the precise moment the coil voltage can take a leap an the engine will start. With the mod my coil voltage was 11+V during turn over. Starting and low speed running has never been this good since I've owned the bike. It may have been that good when the bike was new but that was a long time ago and I live in a high corrosive environment.
         Â Ã‚  It's easy to do, cheap, works wonders! Do this first Steve and then save your money for the Motobins! Don't ask me how I know this! [You could find out easily enough if the archives weren't so difficult to search past posts! :-( ]
        HTH
        Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB
        On 9/2/2013 8:00 AM, Ed Johnson wrote:
        Hi Steve;
         Â Ã‚  I agree with Bob Clark regarding the used coils.  Here is the link to the "Johnson Jolt" which was named that more as a joke than anything else. The modification is shown in great detail here and will make a world of difference in the way your bike runs, starts, and performs. It was "borrowed" from another site; http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=116991 . I didn't invent it.
        Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB

      • joan tabberer
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 2, 2013
          CHeers Steve.
          I also tried second hand coils, they were also gubbed... of course the person selling them was not wanting to accept hat tthey were faulty, and went as far as to suggest that I had simply intended to swap my old coils for his good ones.
          so I reminded him that he signed his coils in yellow paint, and should be able to easily recognise them again, and I sent him all six faulty coils back, in the hopes that he would realise that there was no way I was trying to pull the wool over his eyes, and that I really would like a full refund!
          I got the refund!

          :) Joan

        • stevethevic

            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 3, 2013
              Steve; There is also the possibility of getting a bad coil when buying new as well. In fact I don't think there is anyone on this forum that has had more bad luck with a bad running Trophy than me! I tried new coils on mine and it didn't fix my problem so at the suggestion of someone on the forum I checked the pipes to see which ones were cooler and then swapped sides on the coils and the problem moved with the swap. Bingo! Another bad coil! Sent it back and Motobins confirmed it was bad and immediately replaced it. Even with the transcontinental shipping the Motobins PVL's are still the best investment you can make in your 1200!
              BTW: Smart move Joan!
              Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB

              I like it, very much !

              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 3, 2013

                Hi Ed,

                It's economics, as accepting the possibility of getting bad coils from EBay I have the chance of identifying a brain numbing problem for £40 !

                If the problem is the coils then a new set from MotoBins will bring the total up to £120 and I can write the first £40 as fault finding. But, to do this in stages is important and I will swap the coils out one by one so I can identify (hopefully) which is the faulty one. When it is running properly again I'll install the Johnson Jolt and see how that improves matters.

                Thanks again for all the help.

                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 3, 2013
                  Hey Joan,
                    Thanks for letting us know about the guy selling "Gubbed" coils. It's important as this might help point out unscrupulous sellers of second hand parts. I'm glad it all worked out.

                  I like it, very much !