Link To the Johnson Jolt

    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 2, 2013
      Hi Steve;
          I agree with Bob Clark regarding the used coils.  Here is the link to the "Johnson Jolt" which was named that more as a joke than anything else. The modification is shown in great detail here and will make a world of difference in the way your bike runs, starts, and performs. It was "borrowed" from another site; http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=116991 . I didn't invent it.
      Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB

      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 2, 2013
            This principle is based on the same basis that causes the coils to fail. Bad copper wire. The coils on 23+ crimps and connections down the line from the battery. Each crimp and connection adds resistance. Resistance adds voltage drop. In my case when I measured the + voltage to coils when the starter was turning the engine over it was less than 8 volts and that was with a fully charged new battery. If you are lucky and release the starter at the precise moment the coil voltage can take a leap an the engine will start. With the mod my coil voltage was 11+V during turn over. Starting and low speed running has never been this good since I've owned the bike. It may have been that good when the bike was new but that was a long time ago and I live in a high corrosive environment.
            It's easy to do, cheap, works wonders! Do this first Steve and then save your money for the Motobins! Don't ask me how I know this! [You could find out easily enough if the archives weren't so difficult to search past posts! :-( ]
        HTH
        On 9/2/2013 8:00 AM, Ed Johnson wrote:
        Hi Steve;
            I agree with Bob Clark regarding the used coils.  Here is the link to the "Johnson Jolt" which was named that more as a joke than anything else. The modification is shown in great detail here and will make a world of difference in the way your bike runs, starts, and performs. It was "borrowed" from another site; http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=116991 . I didn't invent it.
        Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB

      • triumphtrophy12
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 2, 2013
          Ed:

          Did you do with with One relay for both coils or did you do a separate
          assembly for each coil?

          I've not done it with the 2001 Trophy 1200 as it starts and runs great
          ever since I installed the new Nology Coils.

          The 1996 Thunderbird 900 has always been a slow starter. In general the
          900 doesn't seem to spin as fast on the starter. The alternator also
          putts out less and in general has a weaker electrical sysem. I think the
          900 would be an excellent candidate for the mod.

          The 900 has 3 separate coils.

          (I think this mod would be great on Jet Ski's also)

          Thanks,

          Bob Clark
          01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
          96 BRG Thunderbird 900
          Jacksonville, FL
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 2, 2013
            Bob;
                Use a 30amp relay and chain all the positive feeds from one relay. Use one of the original feeds to key the relay and tape off the rest. I put my relay behind the coils under the tank close to the feeds. Others have put the relay under the seat away from the heat which might be a better idea.
            HTH
            On 9/2/2013 9:25 AM, apsllp@... wrote:
            Ed:

            Did you do with with One relay for both coils or did you do a separate
            assembly for each coil?

            I've not done it with the 2001 Trophy 1200 as it starts and runs great
            ever since I installed the new Nology Coils.

            The 1996 Thunderbird 900 has always been a slow starter. In general the
            900 doesn't seem to spin as fast on the starter. The alternator also
            putts out less and in general has a weaker electrical sysem. I think the
            900 would be an excellent candidate for the mod.

            The 900 has 3 separate coils.

            (I think this mod would be great on Jet Ski's also)

            Thanks,

            Bob Clark
            01 Sunset Red Trophy 1200
            96 BRG Thunderbird 900
            Jacksonville, FL

            ------------------------------------

            List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

            Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                TriumphTrophy-digest@yahoogroups.com
                TriumphTrophy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • stevethevic
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 2, 2013

              Hi Ed,

              Many thanks - I understand the principle now and will have a go later this week when the diary clears a bit.

              Many thanks again.

              Peace.

              Steve

            • adeux60@ymail.com
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 2, 2013

                the positive coil feeds are linked by a crimp in the main wiring harness

                --- In triumphtrophy@yahoogroups.com, <revd.steve.wilkinson@...> wrote:

                Hi Ed,

                Many thanks - I understand the principle now and will have a go later this week when the diary clears a bit.

                Many thanks again.

                Peace.

                Steve

                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, <triumphtrophy@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                 Â Ã‚  This principle is based on the same basis that causes the coils to fail. Bad copper wire. The coils on 23+ crimps and connections down the line from the battery. Each crimp and connection adds resistance. Resistance adds voltage drop. In my case when I measured the + voltage to coils when the starter was turning the engine over it was less than 8 volts and that was with a fully charged new battery. If you are lucky and release the starter at the precise moment the coil voltage can take a leap an the engine will start. With the mod my coil voltage was 11+V during turn over. Starting and low speed running has never been this good since I've owned the bike. It may have been that good when the bike was new but that was a long time ago and I live in a high corrosive environment.
                 Â Ã‚  It's easy to do, cheap, works wonders! Do this first Steve and then save your money for the Motobins! Don't ask me how I know this! [You could find out easily enough if the archives weren't so difficult to search past posts! :-( ]
                HTH
                Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB
                On 9/2/2013 8:00 AM, Ed Johnson wrote:
                Hi Steve;
                 Â Ã‚  I agree with Bob Clark regarding the used coils.  Here is the link to the "Johnson Jolt" which was named that more as a joke than anything else. The modification is shown in great detail here and will make a world of difference in the way your bike runs, starts, and performs. It was "borrowed" from another site; http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=116991 . I didn't invent it.
                Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB

              • joan tabberer
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 2, 2013
                  CHeers Steve.
                  I also tried second hand coils, they were also gubbed... of course the person selling them was not wanting to accept hat tthey were faulty, and went as far as to suggest that I had simply intended to swap my old coils for his good ones.
                  so I reminded him that he signed his coils in yellow paint, and should be able to easily recognise them again, and I sent him all six faulty coils back, in the hopes that he would realise that there was no way I was trying to pull the wool over his eyes, and that I really would like a full refund!
                  I got the refund!

                  :) Joan

                • stevethevic

                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 3, 2013
                      Steve; There is also the possibility of getting a bad coil when buying new as well. In fact I don't think there is anyone on this forum that has had more bad luck with a bad running Trophy than me! I tried new coils on mine and it didn't fix my problem so at the suggestion of someone on the forum I checked the pipes to see which ones were cooler and then swapped sides on the coils and the problem moved with the swap. Bingo! Another bad coil! Sent it back and Motobins confirmed it was bad and immediately replaced it. Even with the transcontinental shipping the Motobins PVL's are still the best investment you can make in your 1200!
                      BTW: Smart move Joan!
                      Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB

                      I like it, very much !

                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 3, 2013

                        Hi Ed,

                        It's economics, as accepting the possibility of getting bad coils from EBay I have the chance of identifying a brain numbing problem for £40 !

                        If the problem is the coils then a new set from MotoBins will bring the total up to £120 and I can write the first £40 as fault finding. But, to do this in stages is important and I will swap the coils out one by one so I can identify (hopefully) which is the faulty one. When it is running properly again I'll install the Johnson Jolt and see how that improves matters.

                        Thanks again for all the help.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 3, 2013
                          Hey Joan,
                            Thanks for letting us know about the guy selling "Gubbed" coils. It's important as this might help point out unscrupulous sellers of second hand parts. I'm glad it all worked out.

                          I like it, very much !