Re: [TriumphTrophy] Headstock Bearing

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 17, 2013
      BTW: I'm located in Florida.

      Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB
      On 8/16/2013 7:08 PM, Ed Johnson wrote:
          I have a brand new set of All Balls tapered roller bearings for an '01 Trophy that I don't need. I didn't see what model or year your Trophy is but if they will fit I'll save you some money. I would change from ball bearings to tapered roller bearings ASAP!
      Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB
      On 8/16/2013 1:39 AM, b.bennit wrote:
      I am doing a bit of winter maintenance and noticed a 'notch' in the steering movement when pointed ahead. When I removed the top bearing I was surprised to see a 'Single row deep groove ball bearing' fitted - NSK 6205DN, instead of a tapered roller bearing. I can't find any reference to a non-tapered roller in the GBOH, the factory service manual or online parts diagrams. Online suppliers quote a 'headstock bearing with race' after 43811 (I am 76400). Is this what I have? Would I be better off replacing it with a tapered roller? Will I need the 'steering bearing head cup' as I don't have one with the current bearing?
      Spring is two weeks away (but it snowed this morning about 100km away) so a bit of winter maintenance was in order.  Have just cleaned and sealed the fuel tank (POR 15), stripped and cleaned carbies, greased swingarm, changed fork oil and brake fluids, and fixed and touched up all those little things that happen with a 15 year old bike. So I am looking forward to being back on the road when I sort this bearing out.
      Thanks for any feedback

      Bill

      98 BRG BBBB

      ------------------------------------

      List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

      Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          TriumphTrophy-digest@yahoogroups.com
          TriumphTrophy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Greg
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 17, 2013
        Hi Ed, I'd like to buy the bearings. I tried regular email but it wouldn't go thru.
        Greg

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Ed Johnson <edljohnson2@...> wrote:

        > BTW: I'm located in Florida.
        >

        > *Ed J. *2001Triumph Trophy BBBB**
        > On 8/16/2013 7:08 PM, Ed Johnson wrote:
        > >

        > > I have a brand new set of All Balls tapered roller bearings for an
        > > '01 Trophy that I don't need. I didn't see what model or year your
        > > Trophy is but if they will fit I'll save you some money. I would
        > > change from ball bearings to tapered roller bearings ASAP!
        > > *Ed J. *2001Triumph Trophy BBBB**
        > > On 8/16/2013 1:39 AM, b.bennit wrote:
        > >> I am doing a bit of winter maintenance and noticed a 'notch' in the steering movement when pointed ahead. When I removed the top bearing I was surprised to see a 'Single row deep groove ball bearing' fitted - NSK 6205DN, instead of a tapered roller bearing. I can't find any reference to a non-tapered roller in the GBOH, the factory service manual or online parts diagrams. Online suppliers quote a 'headstock bearing with race' after 43811 (I am 76400). Is this what I have? Would I be better off replacing it with a tapered roller? Will I need the 'steering bearing head cup' as I don't have one with the current bearing?
        > >> Spring is two weeks away (but it snowed this morning about 100km away) so a bit of winter maintenance was in order. Have just cleaned and sealed the fuel tank (POR 15), stripped and cleaned carbies, greased swingarm, changed fork oil and brake fluids, and fixed and touched up all those little things that happen with a 15 year old bike. So I am looking forward to being back on the road when I sort this bearing out.
        > >> Thanks for any feedback
        > >>
        > >> Bill
        > >>
        > >> 98 BRG BBBB
        > >>

        > >> ------------------------------------
        > >>
        > >> List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.
        > >>

        > >> Post message:TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
        > >> Subscribe:TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > >>
        > >> Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >>

        > > --
        > > I am using the free version of SPAMfighter.
        > > SPAMfighter has removed 8215 of my spam emails to date.
        > > Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfighter.com/len
        > >
        > > Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan
        > > http://www.spamfighter.com/SLOW-PCfighter?cid=sigen

      • b.bennit
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 17, 2013
          Thanks for the feedback and thanks for the offer Ed, but I bought a tapered roller yesterday at the local engineers with the same external dimensions as the ball bearing for $12 (NTN 30205) and hope to fit that. They didn't replacement for the original in stock.
          I am now faced with the situation that the upper bearing housing in the frame is 20mm deep and the original bearing upper face is 3mm above the housing, determined by the groove and circlip in that bearing. For the new bearing to have the upper face in the same position there will need to be a spacer of 6mm in the bottom of the housing as the bearing is only 17mm thick. I can make this by using the old bearing outer but I would like to know what the bearing cup shown in GBOH is. It was not present on my bike and is presumably part of the earlier tapered roller setup. Before making a spacer it would be good to know what it does, is it necessary with a tapered roller setup and how thick is it?
          Has anyone else done this?
          Thanks

          Bill

          98 BRG BBBB

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Ed Johnson <edljohnson2@...> wrote:

          > I have a brand new set of All Balls tapered roller bearings for an
          > '01 Trophy that I don't need. I didn't see what model or year your
          > Trophy is but if they will fit I'll save you some money. I would change
          > from ball bearings to tapered roller bearings ASAP!
          > *Ed J. *2001Triumph Trophy BBBB**
          > On 8/16/2013 1:39 AM, b.bennit wrote:
          > > I am doing a bit of winter maintenance and noticed a 'notch' in the steering movement when pointed ahead. When I removed the top bearing I was surprised to see a 'Single row deep groove ball bearing' fitted - NSK 6205DN, instead of a tapered roller bearing. I can't find any reference to a non-tapered roller in the GBOH, the factory service manual or online parts diagrams. Online suppliers quote a 'headstock bearing with race' after 43811 (I am 76400). Is this what I have? Would I be better off replacing it with a tapered roller? Will I need the 'steering bearing head cup' as I don't have one with the current bearing?
        • Brian Easton
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 18, 2013
            If you don’t know what things do, please leave well alone or buy the correct parts-this is your steering, your life (and any passengers lives or innocent parties) you are playing with – sure your life is worth more than $12!

            BOAT
            96 BBBB Merlot Red Scotland

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 18, 2013
              Thanks for your concern Brian, but I didn't buy the bearing because it was "cheap". I chose this bearing because the original wasn't available and I believe a tapered roller bearing is a better solution in this application. I mentioned the cost as a comment on the difference between the cost of branded spare parts (over $50) and the equivalent off the shelf. This bearing is the standard bearing used for trailer wheels which is a more severe application than a headstock bearing so bearing failure is unlikely.
              There is another option when I don't know what things do and that is to ask people who can tell me. That is the main reason I am posting on this blog and if someone can give me specific reasons against the conversion I would, of course, not continue. If you don't ask you don't learn.

              Cheers

              Bill