Re: Thanks to the group for your help in getting me back on the road

  • slovcan
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
      In my haste to write, I put Medicine Hat in Saskatchewan instead of Alberta. I was remembering a fuel pump adventure I had in Swift Current, Sask after leaving MOOSEJAW, Sask while driving across Canada in a previous life. Still, 400 kms on the same day they had to drain the Goldwing carbs on the side of the road in 28*C weather is pretty good. I expect to see them on Tuesday.

      Cheers,
      Glenn

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@...> wrote:

      > Hi folks,
      >
      > Jason texted me this morning from Medicine Hat, Sask. He's riding with a buddy on a 1983 Goldwing and they had a bit of trouble with the Wing (water in the gas, A2). Anyway, they are now set up at a campground in Canmore, Alberta. Making pretty good time. He says the Wing is leaking about 1 litre a day of oil and the Trident is dry as a bone.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Glenn
      >
      > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Jason Hart <biker_jas@> wrote:
      > >

      > > Using free WI FI. Turn off the Roger WIFI when using a free one and the annoying Rogers message won't interfer. Jason
      > >

      > > ------------------------------
      > > On Mon, 15 Jul, 2013 1:35 PM EDT slovcan wrote:
      > >
      > > >Hi Jason,
      > > >
      > > >Sure you can text me. I don't have a text plan, but do text a bit. Speaking of texting, lately I have been getting spam texts from Quebec telling me where to pick up girls in BC. This is the result of registering on Canada's new and improved Do Not Call List. Our enterprising Spammers have been getting the new list of KNOWN ACTIVE phone numbers from the Canadian government and selling the list to spammers in countries that Canada won't prosecute like the USA and Quebec.
      > > >
      > > >Sorry, I digress. There are a couple of other members between you and me, I think, so if you can post on here periodically along the way where you are you might get a visitor.
      > > >
      > > >I don't have a data plan, either. A couple of times I wanted one temporarily, though. Rogers is my provider and is always listed on my phone as available if I choose to connect. Normally, I just use the Wifi that is available, if any, wherever I am. If I connect to Rogers, they just send me a confirmation text with a link to choose between 1 day for $1, 1 week for $5 or longer. I'll email you my phone number.
      > > >
      > > >Have a great trip. If you decide to try 1620 kms in 24 hours along the way make sure to get cashiers receipts with dates, times and locations from gas stations and restaurants and such so you can send them to the Iron Butt folks after your trip.
      > > >
      > > >Cheers,
      > > >Glenn

    • slovcan
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
        I met Jason and his friend Louis yesterday. Jason needed to adjust his chain, so we stopped by my place to get his bike into our garage and out of the hot sun for the adjustment. Then, of course, we had to have a cold beer and tell some stories. Super nice guys. They spent the night here in town with thoughts of riding up the Sunshine Coast, through Gibsons (home of the TV show The Beachcombers and Molly's Reach) to Powell River, to Lund (Mile 0 on Hwy 101), then across to Vancouver Island, down to Victoria and back to the mainland. This loop takes a couple of days and 4 ferries. Jason's Trident is in FANTASTIC condition and Louis' Goldwing is also in great shape with the full Vetter touring package complete with stereo. It would be like driving a living room. Even so, those big bikes handle remarkably well for their size.

        Cheers,
        Glenn

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@...> wrote:

        > In my haste to write, I put Medicine Hat in Saskatchewan instead of Alberta. I was remembering a fuel pump adventure I had in Swift Current, Sask after leaving MOOSEJAW, Sask while driving across Canada in a previous life. Still, 400 kms on the same day they had to drain the Goldwing carbs on the side of the road in 28*C weather is pretty good. I expect to see them on Tuesday.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Glenn
        >
        > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi folks,
        > >
        > > Jason texted me this morning from Medicine Hat, Sask. He's riding with a buddy on a 1983 Goldwing and they had a bit of trouble with the Wing (water in the gas, A2). Anyway, they are now set up at a campground in Canmore, Alberta. Making pretty good time. He says the Wing is leaking about 1 litre a day of oil and the Trident is dry as a bone.
        > >
        > > Cheers,
        > > Glenn

      • slovcan
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 27, 2013
          Well, the guys did indeed do the ride up the Sunshine Coast and over to the Island. Louis' Goldwing started acting up again but they drained the one carb at fault and will fill up more frequently staying above 1/4 tank. Hopefully that will get them home uneventfully where they can clean up the whole fuel system.

          They've now headed south of the 49th parallel and will continue east from there - cross Canada going west and cross USA headed east.

          Cheers,
          Glenn

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@...> wrote:

          > I met Jason and his friend Louis yesterday. Jason needed to adjust his chain, so we stopped by my place to get his bike into our garage and out of the hot sun for the adjustment. Then, of course, we had to have a cold beer and tell some stories. Super nice guys. They spent the night here in town with thoughts of riding up the Sunshine Coast, through Gibsons (home of the TV show The Beachcombers and Molly's Reach) to Powell River, to Lund (Mile 0 on Hwy 101), then across to Vancouver Island, down to Victoria and back to the mainland. This loop takes a couple of days and 4 ferries. Jason's Trident is in FANTASTIC condition and Louis' Goldwing is also in great shape with the full Vetter touring package complete with stereo. It would be like driving a living room. Even so, those big bikes handle remarkably well for their size.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Glenn

        • slovcan
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 31, 2013
            Hi folks,

            Here's another location report on the guys' trip. I didn't hear from them today, but yesterday they texted me from Cut Bank, Montana. They rode the "Going to the Sun" road in Glacier National Park.

            If anybody is between there and the border crossing at Sioux St. Marie post your location and I'll get it to them.

            Cheers,
            Glenn

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@...> wrote:

            > Well, the guys did indeed do the ride up the Sunshine Coast and over to the Island. Louis' Goldwing started acting up again but they drained the one carb at fault and will fill up more frequently staying above 1/4 tank. Hopefully that will get them home uneventfully where they can clean up the whole fuel system.
            >
            > They've now headed south of the 49th parallel and will continue east from there - cross Canada going west and cross USA headed east.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Glenn
          • slovcan
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 3, 2013
              The boys are back north of 49. They were in Duluth, MN yesterday and crossed over into Sioux Ste Marie tonight.