Re: 18 Amp battery for the 2001+ Trophy

  • a2
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 15, 2013
      Yes agree extra terminals would be handy. I soldered up a Christmas tree of connectors so that they were all solid

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > I will update the files with this battery info, too, Dan. Interesting tidbit about the different size battery boxes. On my Trophy the limiting factor is really the frame rails determining the max length of the battery. Another reason I chose the Motobatt is the availability of the 2 terminals on each side for connecting extra wires for ground and hot.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Glenn
      >
      > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "garyviggars" <garyviggars@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hmm dunno whether this will help but Motobatt make a very big point in their literature that the battery is precharged at the factory and MUST NOT be charged before fitting to the vehicle. Something about it needing a discharge cycle before recharging. My supplier in the uk made a point of informing me of this when they sent it.This may be why your supplier is not getting the results they expect on their tests. Just a thought.
      > > Regards Gary
      > >
      > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi guys,
      > > >
      > > > I mentioned earlier that I had ordered a Motobatt MBTX16U battery through Amazon.com. Well, maybe I didn't mention Amazon. Anyway, the seller was a business called BikeBatts.com in California. They have been in business for at least 4-5 years as I have seen good comments in old posts on other forums about them.
      > > >
      > > > BikeBatts, sent me an email stating they were not able to send me the battery as it failed their tests. They said they charge and test every battery before shipping. When the second one they were going to send me also failed they tested them all and found the entire batch failed so they figured it had to be a problem at the factory. They instantly refunded my money and offered me a 10% discount on a replacement Motobatt when they could get them or any other one I chose. In fact, Tim the owner then offered me a Yuasa at his cost. We have emailed back and forth half dozen times now. He has spent a lot of time educating me on batteries and I will highly recommend BikeBatts for us North American folks.
      > > >
      > > > Now, the really noteworthy piece of info he gave me was the option of a Yuasa YTX20CH-BS. It is exactly the same size externally as the YTX16 series of battery, but is an 18 amp battery. This is a HUGE plus for us in available capacity. This is the ONLY "size 20" battery that will physically fit the Trophy. The rest are 6-7/8" long - way too big. The catch is it won't work for the older Trophies without using longer cables as the left side terminal when installed in the bike is Negative. I think this is the correct configuration for the 2001(?) and newer ones, though.
      > > >
      > > > I have now ordered a Motobatt from a different Amazon seller (actually, Amazon itself?). Hopefully it won't be from the same batch that BikeBatts had to send back.

    • a2
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 16, 2013
        Just measured it.

        The early mk2 in 95 had a plan area of 140x90 after this the mk2 had a 150x90mm. Which just required the box to be swapped if the larger battery was preferred with option on reversing terminals possibly.

        Subsequently taller batteries have also become available presumably allowing the higher cca's. My seat has the rubber studs removed to lower it further to the haicut it also received so it sits on the battery.

        A2

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "a2" <adeux60@...> wrote:

        > Yes agree extra terminals would be handy. I soldered up a Christmas tree of connectors so that they were all solid
        >

        > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Thanks Gary. I'll check the charge level when I get it and watch it for a couple of days before install.
        > >
        > > I will update the files with this battery info, too, Dan. Interesting tidbit about the different size battery boxes. On my Trophy the limiting factor is really the frame rails determining the max length of the battery. Another reason I chose the Motobatt is the availability of the 2 terminals on each side for connecting extra wires for ground and hot.
        > >
        > > Cheers,
        > > Glenn
        > >
        > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "garyviggars" <garyviggars@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hmm dunno whether this will help but Motobatt make a very big point in their literature that the battery is precharged at the factory and MUST NOT be charged before fitting to the vehicle. Something about it needing a discharge cycle before recharging. My supplier in the uk made a point of informing me of this when they sent it.This may be why your supplier is not getting the results they expect on their tests. Just a thought.
        > > > Regards Gary

      • slovcan
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 16, 2013
          That is interesting. I guess they figured out the smaller battery was just too weak and "upgraded" the box and battery. Good thing the box is plastic, because I'm pretty sure the battery I have in there now is 151-152mm long. Folks (not me, not yet) have been known to trim the edges/protrusions on the ends of batteries to gain back a couple of mm's for fitting sometimes. Some folks (same ones?) have also been known to lay a piece of inner tube across the top of the battery to insulate the terminals from accidental grounding. I saw that on the internet so it must be true. We do have plastic seat pans, but the Corbins are put together with rivets.

          Cheers,
          Glenn

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "a2" <adeux60@...> wrote:

          > Just measured it.
          >
          > The early mk2 in 95 had a plan area of 140x90 after this the mk2 had a 150x90mm. Which just required the box to be swapped if the larger battery was preferred with option on reversing terminals possibly.
          >
          > Subsequently taller batteries have also become available presumably allowing the higher cca's. My seat has the rubber studs removed to lower it further to the haicut it also received so it sits on the battery.
          >
          > A2
          >

          > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "a2" <adeux60@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Yes agree extra terminals would be handy. I soldered up a Christmas tree of connectors so that they were all solid
          > >

          > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Thanks Gary. I'll check the charge level when I get it and watch it for a couple of days before install.
          > > >
          > > > I will update the files with this battery info, too, Dan. Interesting tidbit about the different size battery boxes. On my Trophy the limiting factor is really the frame rails determining the max length of the battery. Another reason I chose the Motobatt is the availability of the 2 terminals on each side for connecting extra wires for ground and hot.
          > > >
          > > > Cheers,
          > > > Glenn

        • IVOR COLLINS
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 17, 2013
            With all this talk of the limitations from the battery box, it is of course possible to remove it all together!
            I made up a plate to go under the battery and a strap to secure it, as long as the live terminal is above (higher than) the frame tube or you insulate well there is no risk of shorting.
            This is a good way of testing out the effects of a bigger battery especially if you already have one from another make of bike, lawn mower or any other inferior item  and could even work long term if done well enough

            Ivor

            That is interesting. I guess they figured out the smaller battery was just too weak and "upgraded" the box and battery. Good thing the box is plastic, because I'm pretty sure the battery I have in there now is 151-152mm long. Folks (not me, not yet) have been known to trim the edges/protrusions on the ends of batteries to gain back a couple of mm's for fitting sometimes. Some folks (same ones?) have also been known to lay a piece of inner tube across the top of the battery to insulate the terminals from accidental grounding. I saw that on the internet so it must be true. We do have plastic seat pans, but the Corbins are put together with rivets.

            Cheers,
            Glenn

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "a2" <adeux60@...> wrote:

            > Just measured it.
            >
            > The early mk2 in 95 had a plan area of 140x90 after this the mk2 had a 150x90mm. Which just required the box to be swapped if the larger battery was preferred with option on reversing terminals possibly.
            >
            > Subsequently taller batteries have also become available presumably allowing the higher cca's. My seat has the rubber studs removed to lower it further to the haicut it also received so it sits on the battery.
            >
            > A2
            >

            > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "a2" <adeux60@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Yes agree extra terminals would be handy. I soldered up a Christmas tree of connectors so that they were all solid
            > >

            > > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@> wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Thanks Gary. I'll check the charge level when I get it and watch it for a couple of days before install.
            > > >
            > > > I will update the files with this battery info, too, Dan. Interesting tidbit about the different size battery boxes. On my Trophy the limiting factor is really the frame rails determining the max length of the battery. Another reason I chose the Motobatt is the availability of the 2 terminals on each side for connecting extra wires for ground and hot.
            > > >
            > > > Cheers,
            > > > Glenn

          • a2
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 17, 2013
              Oooh I like those ideas.....I have my old 140 battery fitted in the 150 box. At the time I was thinking I could carry something useful in the gap but have yet to find anything that useful at that size and my sandwiches would end up tasting a bit zingy....so I keep looking at the gap with disappointment.....lol

              The motly crew are coming down my way this weekend for some camping. I think we will pass the 1/2 dozen. The crew have been very kind to me this year as I lost my job and didn't feel I could get my act together, they suggested a swap in venue and we found a campsite near me. So most of them have about a four hour run.

              Some are joining us saturday. But the hard core are coming in Friday and so we have arranged to meet at the Ace Cafe in west London whose history you can find easily online and after brunch I will take them across London to the east essentially along the Thames crossing as many bridges as I can, past the houses of Parliament and out to the blackwall tunnel for one of the crew to look at the work he did on it in his "yoof" which coincidently is our turn off into the countryside in Kent - the garden of England. Where we will be camping. We are looking to do a run out along part of the south coast on Saturday.

              I hope to get some photos in front of a site or two to send to all our American cousins who contribute greatly here too and who sadly we will probably never meet. But we will think of you and look forward to more shared conversations and experiences.

              all the best
              Dan

              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@...> wrote:

              > That is interesting. I guess they figured out the smaller battery was just too weak and "upgraded" the box and battery. Good thing the box is plastic, because I'm pretty sure the battery I have in there now is 151-152mm long. Folks (not me, not yet) have been known to trim the edges/protrusions on the ends of batteries to gain back a couple of mm's for fitting sometimes. Some folks (same ones?) have also been known to lay a piece of inner tube across the top of the battery to insulate the terminals from accidental grounding. I saw that on the internet so it must be true. We do have plastic seat pans, but the Corbins are put together with rivets.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Glenn
              >
              > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "a2" <adeux60@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Just measured it.
              > >
              > > The early mk2 in 95 had a plan area of 140x90 after this the mk2 had a 150x90mm. Which just required the box to be swapped if the larger battery was preferred with option on reversing terminals possibly.
              > >
              > > Subsequently taller batteries have also become available presumably allowing the higher cca's. My seat has the rubber studs removed to lower it further to the haicut it also received so it sits on the battery.
              > >
              > > A2
              ones, though.

            • a2
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 17, 2013
                Well Quite Ivor.... I got bump started by a BMW bike....I thought his battery was off a tractor....if it could be lowered past the current bottom plate that would be even better for a lower centre of gravity...
                Dan