Re: [TriumphTrophy] Re: Thanks to the group for your help in getting me back on the road

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 14, 2013
          I'd join you both in a heart beat if it were possible. I made the trek from Vancouver to Calgary some 40+ years ago in a car and wished at the time that I had been on a bike instead. That is the most beautiful country I have ever seen. Unfortunately I'm in Florida and at 75 years of age just getting to the starting point would be almost impossible. Have a great ride and post copious amounts of pictures, videos, etc. somewhere on the net for those of us who are not fortunate enough to be with you. God is!

      Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB
      On 7/14/2013 3:27 PM, slovcan wrote:
      Great news, Jason! I live in Abbotsford which is about an hour before Vancouver. I'd be happy to join up and ride toward Vancouver with you. I work a 4 on/4 off so odds are in your favour I'll be available. In your favour, you ask? Sounds like 50/50 you say? Well, my 4 days on are in Richmond, just over the bridge from Vancouver. On those days I leave at about 12:30 for work, but can adjust a bit for your schedule. Let me know when you get close and we'll set something up.

      Cheers,
      Glenn

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "biker_jas" <biker_jas@...> wrote:

      Hello,
      Just want to thank those that helped me sort out my cut out issues every 8 miles or so ... yes it was the dreaded pulse ignition generator. Mine was a PVL and lasted 107K, as one of the earlier Trident 900 - 1994 VIN number ending in 009854; all electronics are PVL.  The replacement is a GIL - hopefully the replacement part is better than those that failed many of you. Have done test run of 200 km and now heading out across Canada (Toronto to Vancouver and back) with my bike on Tuesday. Any members in Canada that want to join in along the way? I've got 107,000km on her now ... most likely put on another 20,000 on this next test ride of 3 weeks.
      Jason - 1994 Trident 900 - 107,000km and counting

      ------------------------------------

      List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

      Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          TriumphTrophy-digest@yahoogroups.com
          TriumphTrophy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • gordon2xbbb
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 15, 2013
        Hi Jason,
        Glad to hear you and the Trident are mobile again...

        107,000Km and nearly 20 years is not bad for a component such as the Ignition Sensor - consider yourself lucky.

        All those other helpful hints and suggestions that we gave...don't ignore them please. Just add them to your ToDo List. As your bike gets older some or all of these little niggles will come a-callin' eventually.

        My '92 BBB (VIN 002473) is only just coming up to 36,000 miles (I'm the 6th Owner I think and I've put on 13,000 of those miles in the last 3 years) and she has never run or felt better....so I'm pretty apprehensive about pulling her out of line to do a 36,000 Service. Perhaps I'll wait until this winter..

        Cheers
        Gordon
        2xBBB 1xTiger 800
        Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "biker_jas" <biker_jas@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > Just want to thank those that helped me sort out my cut out issues every 8 miles or so ... yes it was the dreaded pulse ignition generator. Mine was a PVL and lasted 107K, as one of the earlier Trident 900 - 1994 VIN number ending in 009854; all electronics are PVL.
      • Jason Hart
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 15, 2013

          Hello Glen,
          OK will do ... I've got a text plan on my phone but no data plan. Cell phone number is 647-990-7397.  Can I text you? If not will drop in one of the tourist stations along the way and respond on this site.
          Jason

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 15, 2013
            Yes they have been part of my spring routine now for years .. including spraying contact lubricant in all of the switches.
            Best Regards

            Glad to hear you and the Trident are mobile again...

            107,000Km and nearly 20 years is not bad for a component such as the Ignition Sensor - consider yourself lucky.

            All those other helpful hints and suggestions that we gave...don't ignore them please. Just add them to your ToDo List. As your bike gets older some or all of these little niggles will come a-callin' eventually.

            My '92 BBB (VIN 002473) is only just coming up to 36,000 miles (I'm the 6th Owner I think and I've put on 13,000 of those miles in the last 3 years) and she has never run or felt better....so I'm pretty apprehensive about pulling her out of line to do a 36,000 Service. Perhaps I'll wait until this winter..

            Cheers
            Gordon
            2xBBB 1xTiger 800
            Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "biker_jas" <biker_jas@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            > Just want to thank those that helped me sort out my cut out issues every 8 miles or so ... yes it was the dreaded pulse ignition generator. Mine was a PVL and lasted 107K, as one of the earlier Trident 900 - 1994 VIN number ending in 009854; all electronics are PVL.

          • slovcan
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 15, 2013
              Hi Jason,

              Sure you can text me. I don't have a text plan, but do text a bit. Speaking of texting, lately I have been getting spam texts from Quebec telling me where to pick up girls in BC. This is the result of registering on Canada's new and improved Do Not Call List. Our enterprising Spammers have been getting the new list of KNOWN ACTIVE phone numbers from the Canadian government and selling the list to spammers in countries that Canada won't prosecute like the USA and Quebec.

              Sorry, I digress. There are a couple of other members between you and me, I think, so if you can post on here periodically along the way where you are you might get a visitor.

              I don't have a data plan, either. A couple of times I wanted one temporarily, though. Rogers is my provider and is always listed on my phone as available if I choose to connect. Normally, I just use the Wifi that is available, if any, wherever I am. If I connect to Rogers, they just send me a confirmation text with a link to choose between 1 day for $1, 1 week for $5 or longer. I'll email you my phone number.

              Have a great trip. If you decide to try 1620 kms in 24 hours along the way make sure to get cashiers receipts with dates, times and locations from gas stations and restaurants and such so you can send them to the Iron Butt folks after your trip.

              Cheers,
              Glenn

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 19, 2013
                Using free WI FI. Turn off the Roger WIFI when using a free one and the annoying Rogers message won't interfer. Jason

                ------------------------------

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 21, 2013
                  Hi folks,

                  Jason texted me this morning from Medicine Hat, Sask. He's riding with a buddy on a 1983 Goldwing and they had a bit of trouble with the Wing (water in the gas, A2). Anyway, they are now set up at a campground in Canmore, Alberta. Making pretty good time. He says the Wing is leaking about 1 litre a day of oil and the Trident is dry as a bone.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 22, 2013
                    In my haste to write, I put Medicine Hat in Saskatchewan instead of Alberta. I was remembering a fuel pump adventure I had in Swift Current, Sask after leaving MOOSEJAW, Sask while driving across Canada in a previous life. Still, 400 kms on the same day they had to drain the Goldwing carbs on the side of the road in 28*C weather is pretty good. I expect to see them on Tuesday.

                    Cheers,
                    Glenn

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 24, 2013
                      I met Jason and his friend Louis yesterday. Jason needed to adjust his chain, so we stopped by my place to get his bike into our garage and out of the hot sun for the adjustment. Then, of course, we had to have a cold beer and tell some stories. Super nice guys. They spent the night here in town with thoughts of riding up the Sunshine Coast, through Gibsons (home of the TV show The Beachcombers and Molly's Reach) to Powell River, to Lund (Mile 0 on Hwy 101), then across to Vancouver Island, down to Victoria and back to the mainland. This loop takes a couple of days and 4 ferries. Jason's Trident is in FANTASTIC condition and Louis' Goldwing is also in great shape with the full Vetter touring package complete with stereo. It would be like driving a living room. Even so, those big bikes handle remarkably well for their size.

                      Cheers,
                      Glenn

                      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@...> wrote:

                      > In my haste to write, I put Medicine Hat in Saskatchewan instead of Alberta. I was remembering a fuel pump adventure I had in Swift Current, Sask after leaving MOOSEJAW, Sask while driving across Canada in a previous life. Still, 400 kms on the same day they had to drain the Goldwing carbs on the side of the road in 28*C weather is pretty good. I expect to see them on Tuesday.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > Glenn
                      >
                      > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi folks,
                      > >
                      > > Jason texted me this morning from Medicine Hat, Sask. He's riding with a buddy on a 1983 Goldwing and they had a bit of trouble with the Wing (water in the gas, A2). Anyway, they are now set up at a campground in Canmore, Alberta. Making pretty good time. He says the Wing is leaking about 1 litre a day of oil and the Trident is dry as a bone.
                      > >
                      > > Cheers,
                      > > Glenn

                    • slovcan
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 27, 2013
                        Well, the guys did indeed do the ride up the Sunshine Coast and over to the Island. Louis' Goldwing started acting up again but they drained the one carb at fault and will fill up more frequently staying above 1/4 tank. Hopefully that will get them home uneventfully where they can clean up the whole fuel system.

                        They've now headed south of the 49th parallel and will continue east from there - cross Canada going west and cross USA headed east.

                        Cheers,
                        Glenn

                        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@...> wrote:

                        > I met Jason and his friend Louis yesterday. Jason needed to adjust his chain, so we stopped by my place to get his bike into our garage and out of the hot sun for the adjustment. Then, of course, we had to have a cold beer and tell some stories. Super nice guys. They spent the night here in town with thoughts of riding up the Sunshine Coast, through Gibsons (home of the TV show The Beachcombers and Molly's Reach) to Powell River, to Lund (Mile 0 on Hwy 101), then across to Vancouver Island, down to Victoria and back to the mainland. This loop takes a couple of days and 4 ferries. Jason's Trident is in FANTASTIC condition and Louis' Goldwing is also in great shape with the full Vetter touring package complete with stereo. It would be like driving a living room. Even so, those big bikes handle remarkably well for their size.
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        > Glenn

                      • slovcan
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 31, 2013
                          Hi folks,

                          Here's another location report on the guys' trip. I didn't hear from them today, but yesterday they texted me from Cut Bank, Montana. They rode the "Going to the Sun" road in Glacier National Park.

                          If anybody is between there and the border crossing at Sioux St. Marie post your location and I'll get it to them.

                          Cheers,
                          Glenn

                          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@...> wrote:

                          > Well, the guys did indeed do the ride up the Sunshine Coast and over to the Island. Louis' Goldwing started acting up again but they drained the one carb at fault and will fill up more frequently staying above 1/4 tank. Hopefully that will get them home uneventfully where they can clean up the whole fuel system.
                          >
                          > They've now headed south of the 49th parallel and will continue east from there - cross Canada going west and cross USA headed east.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > Glenn
                        • slovcan
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 3, 2013
                            The boys are back north of 49. They were in Duluth, MN yesterday and crossed over into Sioux Ste Marie tonight.