Re: - Update Bike stops running every 12 km (8 miles) for no

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 7, 2013
      Hi Jason, You have done the right things to do. The 900's and 1200's use the same ignition sensor. Both Gill and PVL make coils and sensors. Most people prefer PVL coils. Bikebandit.com also sells Triumph parts for the same price as a Triumph dealers, but then you have to add on shipping costs. I prefer going to the dealer. They know me and know them. I don't know anybody at Bike Bandit. They sell the sensor for about $117.
      Greg Andrews
      '96 900 BRG

      Jason Hart wrote:
      Have ordered the sensor part from my local dealer on July 2 - $84 Cdn less 10% .. no one has it in stock except some part shop in California that want $94 plus shipping.
      Fuel flow seems fine - with petcock on normal ; drained #3 carb and it stopped as it should - sucked on vacuum tube to tank petcock and flow started again. Drain from gas tank seems fine as I can blow through it as well as breath in when sucking on the rubber down drain. Petcock knob turns shaft. Some additional info on the pick-up sensor - mine is marked as made in West Germany by PVL and black... looking at their web-site seems they make these for BMW as well. No mention of Triumph.
      Jason - 1994 Trident 900
    • a2
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 7, 2013
        Might be worth matching the sensor to the manufacturer of your ignitor as both gill and pvl manufacture those too. Just a thought as I haven't heard of incompatabilities. Meanwhile generic ignitors off eBay at 50dollars work too.
        A2

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gandrews@...> wrote:

        > Hi Jason, You have done the right things to do. The 900's and 1200's use the same ignition sensor. Both Gill and PVL make coils and sensors. Most people prefer PVL coils. Bikebandit.com also sells Triumph parts for the same price as a Triumph dealers, but then you have to add on shipping costs. I prefer going to the dealer. They know me and know them. I don't know anybody at Bike Bandit. They sell the sensor for about $117.
        > Greg Andrews
        > '96 900 BRG
        >
        > Jason Hart wrote:
        > Have ordered the sensor part from my local dealer on July 2 - $84 Cdn less 10% .. no one has it in stock except some part shop in California that want $94 plus shipping.
        > Fuel flow seems fine - with petcock on normal ; drained #3 carb and it stopped as it should - sucked on vacuum tube to tank petcock and flow started again. Drain from gas tank seems fine as I can blow through it as well as breath in when sucking on the rubber down drain. Petcock knob turns shaft. Some additional info on the pick-up sensor - mine is marked as made in West Germany by PVL and black... looking at their web-site seems they make these for BMW as well. No mention of Triumph.
        > Jason - 1994 Trident 900

      • Jason Hart
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 7, 2013
          What are you referring to as the ignitor ? Are you referring to the coils?  Do you have a link to the generic ones you are referring to on E-bay? Recall that my bench test was inconclusive for the sensor ...
          Tried bench testing ... ohms test seems to pass although I'm afraid to fry it with the heat gun so maybe did not heat it up enough. Another test is to put a metal screw driver to the magnet pickup and test volt output when pulling it away. Should be between 0.6 volts and 3volts from what I read up on line. Voltage measured was much weaker ... seemed to get stronger when cool.
          Jason

          Greg wrote ...

          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 8, 2013
            http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR8.TRC0.Xtriumph+trophy+ignition+sensor.TRS0&_nkw=triumph+trophy+ignition+sensor&_sacat=0&_from=R40

            you could google the part number I suppose T1290022 or T1290009-T030

            and the ignitor could be T1290071-5 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-TROPHY-1200-CDI-IGNITER-BOX-POST-FREE-/370848154584?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item565845c3d8)

            is either on your mudguard or in the fairing forward of the clocks. Its a 150mmx150mmx25mm (guess) box - It reads the signal off the kill switch/sidestand/alarm etc makes sense of the ignition sensor and kills the connection on the negative side of the coils for a spark.

            Still you are ahead of the game - I saved myself the testing and accidently stepped on it - but the replacement works...

            A2