Serial numbers on Motor and frame Question

  • biker_jas
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 7, 2013
      Maybe I'm out of date ..but always thought the frame had a number usually on the front main frame tube leading to the triple clamps and one on the engine block.
      I found the one on the frame. It is at the usual location - the engine is another issue - where I thought it should be (raised section on the main casting - front right hand side ) - no numbers? Anyone know where it is located on the triple?
      Jason - 1994 Trident 900
    • a2
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 7, 2013
        head stock, battery area and under the angle grinding on the engine plate you mentioned....

        no seriously has someone painted the engine as the punched numbers are very very light

        A2

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "biker_jas" <biker_jas@...> wrote:

        > Maybe I'm out of date ..but always thought the frame had a number usually on the front main frame tube leading to the triple clamps and one on the engine block.
        > I found the one on the frame. It is at the usual location - the engine is another issue - where I thought it should be (raised section on the main casting - front right hand side ) - no numbers? Anyone know where it is located on the triple?
        > Jason - 1994 Trident 900

      • Jason Hart
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 7, 2013
          Maybe that's it. I purchased the bike new from the dealer so I know its good - nothing I can see. I've spray painted stove black on the exhaust pipes and I'm sure on the front of the engine - but I've cleaned the underside of that block with varsol (mineral spirits) to clean off any of this over spray and still see nothing. Just curious.
          Jason

          head stock, battery area and under the angle grinding on the engine plate you mentioned....

          no seriously has someone painted the engine as the punched numbers are very very light

          A2

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "biker_jas" <biker_jas@...> wrote:

          > Maybe I'm out of date ..but always thought the frame had a number usually on the front main frame tube leading to the triple clamps and one on the engine block.
          > I found the one on the frame. It is at the usual location - the engine is another issue - where I thought it should be (raised section on the main casting - front right hand side ) - no numbers? Anyone know where it is located on the triple?
          > Jason - 1994 Trident 900

        • a2
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 8, 2013
            mine (on the engine) are barely more than needle pricks and hard to read. Mr Plod wont take kindly to not finding the serial number - knew a chappy that spent 24 hours in the clink simply because honda slipped out an engine in the production line and was a number different (to the frame) for a few engines till they put it right again. Until Honda were contacted and explained they wouldn't let him go.....

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Jason Hart <biker_jas@...> wrote:

            > Maybe that's it. I purchased the bike new from the dealer so I know its good - nothing I can see. I've spray painted stove black on the exhaust pipes and I'm sure on the front of the engine - but I've cleaned the underside of that block with varsol (mineral spirits) to clean off any of this over spray and still see nothing. Just curious.
            > Jason
            >

            > ________________________________

          • gordon2xbbb
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 8, 2013
              Hi Jason,

              I see your bike is a '94 Trident BBB - could be you might need to clean that area up a bit - the stampings are a bit 'light' to say the least...As you said.. the Engine number is stamped into a little block in the Top Crankcase Casting, Front Right, just outward of #3 Exhaust pipe...It'll be right above the crankcase join line.....at least that's where it is on my '92 BBB Engine Ser No. *002515*.
              My Crankcase also has the 'top-hatch' for the Sprag Clutch access.

              Happy hunting..

              Cheers
              Gordon
              2xBBB, 1xTiger 800
              Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

              > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "biker_jas" <biker_jas@> wrote:
              - where I thought it should be (raised section on the main casting - front right hand side ) - no numbers? Anyone know where it is located on the triple?
              > > Jason - 1994 Trident 900

            • Jason Hart
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 8, 2013
                Same engine as mine (top hatch for sprag clutch access).  thanks I will keep looking

                I see your bike is a '94 Trident BBB - could be you might need to clean that area up a bit - the stampings are a bit 'light' to say the least...As you said.. the Engine number is stamped into a little block in the Top Crankcase Casting, Front Right, just outward of #3 Exhaust pipe...It'll be right above the crankcase join line.....at least that's where it is on my '92 BBB Engine Ser No. *002515*.
                My Crankcase also has the 'top-hatch' for the Sprag Clutch access.

                Happy hunting..

                Cheers
                Gordon
                2xBBB, 1xTiger 800
                Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

                > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "biker_jas" <biker_jas@> wrote:
                - where I thought it should be (raised section on the main casting - front right hand side ) - no numbers? Anyone know where it is located on the triple?
                > > Jason - 1994 Trident 900

              • Jason Hart
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 8, 2013
                  Good think he was not driving a vintage Kawasaki ... they never match from the factory ... considered original if within 300 numbers.

                  mine (on the engine) are barely more than needle pricks and hard to read. Mr Plod wont take kindly to not finding the serial number - knew a chappy that spent 24 hours in the clink simply because honda slipped out an engine in the production line and was a number different (to the frame) for a few engines till they put it right again. Until Honda were contacted and explained they wouldn't let him go.....

                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Jason Hart <biker_jas@...> wrote:

                  > Maybe that's it. I purchased the bike new from the dealer so I know its good - nothing I can see. I've spray painted stove black on the exhaust pipes and I'm sure on the front of the engine - but I've cleaned the underside of that block with varsol (mineral spirits) to clean off any of this over spray and still see nothing. Just curious.
                  > Jason

                • a2
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 11, 2013
                    It was a long time ago and actually I seem to recall now that they left a number off completely from an engine and subsequently confirmed to the police that they had done this to align the numbers as something had dropped out of the production line and it was done to correct it.

                    That part of the story being recounted by the owner isnt to clear to me - His state of mind having been held for 24hours is though and he was clearly disturbed by the experience.

                    A2