Re: [TriumphTrophy] Bike stops running every 12 km (8 miles) for no

  • Nick Baker private
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 1, 2013

      Hi Jason,

      As it stops ‘reliably’ after the same mileage/distance every time my money would initially be on fuel starvation. Sounds like while you wait there is enough time for a restricted flow rate to fill the carbs then they get drained while you ride. Does the bike hesitate or misfire before it stops? If not then I would think fuel starvation is less likely and more likely to be the crank position sensor.

      Nick

      ’97 900

      South Bucks UK

    • tommo903
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 1, 2013
        The solution that Glenn just mentioned is what solved the problem on my Kawasaki...fuel starvation due to the tank vent being blocked. The bike would run happily for a few miles, then cut out. Leave for half hour and all ok again...and so on. Definitely worth a try.

        Steve
        South Bucks, UK

        Sent from my iPhone

        On 1 Jul 2013, at 08:26, "slovcan" <slovcan@...> wrote:

        Agreed. Still, if you feel like trying again try opening the fuel cap right away when it quits. If it starts the crank sensor is OK.

        Cheers,
        Glenn

        Sent from my iPhone

        On 1 Jul 2013, at 09:34, "Nick Baker private" <nick591@...> wrote:

        Hi Jason,

        As it stops ‘reliably’ after the same mileage/distance every time my money would initially be on fuel starvation. Sounds like while you wait there is enough time for a restricted flow rate to fill the carbs then they get drained while you ride. Does the bike hesitate or misfire before it stops? If not then I would think fuel starvation is less likely and more likely to be the crank position sensor.

        Nick

        ’97 900

        South Bucks UK

      • a2
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 1, 2013
          Yes but fuel starvation would not necessarily be caused by just a faulty cap. There could be a problem with the vacuum activation of the petcock. eg a crimp in the fuel or vacuum lines, a vacuum leak and mentioned a long time ago, an automatic chain oiler fitted to the same vacuum line as the petcock (with or without a similar vacuum fault). also a leaking diaphragm. So easy to check if you are prepared to fit some additional tubing so as to be able to suck and collect fuel etc. Or to rule out the highly unlikely fuel cap you could wedge a sliver of wire in the rubbers of the fuel cap. Or fill it on a centre stand to the brim - drop it on to the side stand and watch the the fuel overflow. If it overflows then air is getting in the same route....(whatever that route is).

          If electrical then the pick up coil has been mentioned (resistance test in GBOH is credible) as is trying to quickly freeze it with a cold spray/apply heat whilst failed or on the meter), but overheating "anything" could be a culprit. Eg overvolting alternator warming up the ignitor.

          Is the heat guard fitted/omitted between the coils and engine top check all HT and LT fitments to the coils and spark plugs (particularly if recently replaced or serviced.)

          Connectors are all getting dry on this age of bike and greasing them with a dieletric grease - eg silicone (plumbers merchants) - would start to pay dividends particularly if you disturb any. Equally the wires may be failing at known chaff points eg the head of the frame.

          Also ask yourself if you have an alarm fitted and does it have an internal battery? Both if not fitted and even if fitted - try soldering the bypass.

          if you are wondering how I know - my other advise is don't push the bike any distance at all. Over a month of sciatica followed by copious amounts of pins and needles

          But she runs without a falter now and the hip is getting loads better.

          I just have to remember to put her on prime before trying to start her when I have ignored her for a while.
          A2

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, tommo903@... wrote:

          > The solution that Glenn just mentioned is what solved the problem on my Kawasaki...fuel starvation due to the tank vent being blocked. The bike would run happily for a few miles, then cut out. Leave for half hour and all ok again...and so on. Definitely worth a try.
          >
          > Steve
          > South Bucks, UK
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On 1 Jul 2013, at 08:26, "slovcan" <slovcan@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Agreed. Still, if you feel like trying again try opening the fuel cap right away when it quits. If it starts the crank sensor is OK.
          > >
          > > Cheers,
          > > Glenn

        • Jason Hart
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 1, 2013
            Was at cruising speed, so difficult to notice if  hesitates but I did hear a miss-fire on the third occasion. My initial guess is fuel starvation. Will have to look at the sensor issue if can"t find a flow issue. Any ideas on servicing this?  Location and tips?

            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 1, 2013

              Hi Jason,

              Make sure that your alarm connection plug is cut and the wires soldered together. As for the crank sensor I'd just bite the bullet and replace it. It's only about $80 and is cheap insurance. Fuel wise if could be a lack of vacuum at the petcock. Or a falure of the petcock itself. If you haven't already done so replace the vacuum lines and the fuel lines. Perform the manual suction test on the petcock vacuum hose with the carb drains open. It should turn on the fuel flow with just a light mouth suction. Next time she stalls switch her to "prime" and keep the knob pushed inward. This should bypass the vacuum action on the petcock. If it's a fuel starvation issue related to the petcock this should identify it. As long as the little beast isn't all crudded up.

              Best of luck,

              Samuel
              New Orleans

              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 1, 2013
                Fuel lines and vacuum line replaced when I did carbs .. no alarm on this one (basic Trident model - no extras). Will check petcock but leaning toward sensor.
                Thanks

                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 1, 2013

                  Also check the backside of the petcock knob. They tend to crack up and fail to turn the shaft. Epoxy works wonders in this case..

                  Samuel

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 1, 2013
                    Yes  fixed the knob once with epoxy ... will check to make sure its turning the shaft. However seems the sensor matches the symptoms the most. Will do all the fuel stuff first ...any one have a bench test to determine if sensor is at fault before I buy one?
                    Jason

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 1, 2013
                          I hooked a volt/ohm meter across the two wires out of it and then heated it with a heat gun and mine failed right away. The gun was set on the lower of the two settings and I didn't have to get it very warm before it failed. The replacement cured the problem which mimic's yours.
                      HTH.
                      Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 1, 2013
                        Thanks Ed , will do same test

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 1, 2013

                          Hello Brother Jason,
                             Our archives are replete with knob tales, There is no way to win over one of those !@#$%^&* plastic fuel tap knobs. You can buy an aluminum knob these days, as they are sold by SAENG, or perhaps even Bike Bandit I think. We have an ingenious member (other than Bob, Ed, Greg, A2, and others) , that had a very high quality craftsman make some several years back. I was one of the Blessed ones that got one. It takes that awful task, of going to "reserve", and makes it a simple "click" feel, one can easily manage. It has taken years for someone to pick up the ball. You will love on on your bike!
                           PS: HAPPY JULY 4th to all of my fellow  Yanks!' Just another work day for you "Limes" eh? Perfectly understandable nobody likes being the Loser.

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 1, 2013
                            One question - what readings do you get when it fails ... read somewhere its good when ohm reading is 560 ohms +/-10% at 20ºC (between 504 and 616 Ohms) and higher when hot (as much as 640 Ohms or so). Can anyone confirm this? When it fails hot does the reading go up?
                            Jason

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 2, 2013
                                Yes Jason,
                                As a former Investigation Engineer with a well known Aerospace and Engineering Conglomerate, I can confirm that as the Ignition Sensor coil gets warmer it's Coil Resistance WILL increase....what usually happens with a Faulty Ignition Sensor is the resistance reaches a value within the tolerance range then suddenly goes OPEN CIRCUIT which has an Ohmic value of INFINITY. As yet I've NOT seen one that just goes on increasing beyond tolerance values, until the Sensor signal 'decays' to Zero..

                                You do need to decide whether it is this Sensor Coil OR a proper Fuel Starvation Issue PDQ, otherwise you'll spend too much time chasing a false trail.

                                Blocked Vents in the Filler Cap are not unknown - but don't go looking for an obvious hole in the top, like in days of yore. There is a convoluted labyrinth of channels and button valves to negotiate, but if you're good at taking small things apart, cleaning them, then putting it all back together without losing anything, then you'll have NO Problem. All sorts of airborne dust gets in these vent channels over the years and will restrict the airflow - AIR has to get in the tank to replace the volume of fuel which is consumed. Often a Filler Cap will 'whistle' or wheeze - just to let you know it's having difficulty breathing - just like us humans really.
                                But the Filler Cap doesn't actually Vent through the Top surface but through the Filler Cap "well" into which it is fitted - four of those six hex-screws and a small philips screw under the Filler Cap (bottom right) which you see when it is OPEN, secure it.
                                This "Well" in turn vents or drains away through the hole you see at the 9 o'clock position with the F/C removed through a metal tube welded into the tank to exit at the bottom right-hand corner. There should also be a rubber tube attached to that exit pipe - this tube also needs to be 'clear'.
                                The Internal Vent/Overflow pipe needs to be clear so that excess fuel from overfilling OR a tipover can drain away, clear of the hot engine. It is also the path for RAINWATER which collects around the filler cap and SHOULD seep into the same "Well" and drain away using the metal tube, rather than get into the Fuel.
                                If your Fuel has water in it, then it's almost certain that this Vent Tube is blocked or restricted in some way. I have FOUR Fuel Tanks at my disposal and currently being used in rotation as I research other Fuel/Water/Contamination issue. One on each bike and a spare each. All four tanks have had shown issues with this overflow/vent tube when they first came into my possession - they don't any more.....
                                Should your tank show a problem in this area - it's easy to spot
                                1) CAN YOU SQUIRT SOMETHING LIKE WD40 DOWN THE HOLE WITHOUT IT SPURTING BACK IN YOUR FACE - If you can then that's OK, If you can't then it's BLOCKED
                                2) I use a 24" length of bicycle brake cable inner which I wind down (in the direction of the cable 'twist') using either a pin-vice or my cordless drill on the screw-driver setting. The sharp edge of the cable strands is an efficient way to remove almost any blockage - some lubrication with WD40 may also help here.
                                3) Once the tube is 'clear' of obstructions I usually give it rust inhibitor wash through and then a blow-dry with an air-line.

                                As you will have read, there are still so many other possibilities for possible Fuel Starvation issues but the Overflow/Vent Tube is the one that gets 'overlooked' - IMO. HTH

                                Cheers
                                Gordon
                                2xBBB 1xTiger 800
                                Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

                                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Jason Hart <biker_jas@...> wrote:

                                > One question - what readings do you get when it fails ... read somewhere its good when ohm reading is 560 ohms +/-10% at
                                > 20ºC(between 504 and 616
                                > Ohms) and higher when hot (as much as 640 Ohms
                                > or so). Can anyone confirm this? When it fails hot does the reading go up?
                                > Jason
                              • tommo903
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 2, 2013
                                  Gordon,
                                  Thanks for that excellent detailed explanation!
                                  Cheers, Steve

                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 2, 2013
                                    Hi Jason: It helps to have a laser thermometer so that you don't heat it way past operating temperature and just fry it! :-\
                                    Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB
                                    On 7/1/2013 8:07 PM, Jason Hart wrote:
                                    Thanks Ed , will do same test

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 2, 2013
                                      Mine went to infinity! [OPEN]

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 2, 2013
                                        OK thanks

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jul 2, 2013
                                          Thanks! I've had issues with the overflow in the past and did clean it out in a similar way ... I can do this again as I skipped this spring maintenance step this year. No harm in doing it as well.
                                          Jason

> [...]

                                          3) Once the tube is 'clear' of obstructions I usually give it rust inhibitor wash through and then a blow-dry with an air-line.

                                          As you will have read, there are still so many other possibilities for possible Fuel Starvation issues but the Overflow/Vent Tube is the one that gets 'overlooked' - IMO. HTH

                                          Cheers
                                          Gordon
                                          2xBBB 1xTiger 800
                                          Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

                                          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Jason Hart <biker_jas@...> wrote:

                                          > One question - what readings do you get when it fails ... read somewhere its good when ohm reading is 560 ohms +/-10% at
                                          > 20ºC(between 504 and 616
                                          > Ohms) and higher when hot (as much as 640 Ohms
                                          > or so). Can anyone confirm this? When it fails hot does the reading go up?

                                        • a2
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 3, 2013
                                            aluminium ones are avail - sprint manufacturing rings a bell but easier still throw away the silly bolt that holds it on and squeeze in a self taping screw with washer and grease the spindle and you wont lose another in any event (if you buy a triumph replacement it comes with the self tapper and i advise you to use it)

                                            A2

                                            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, John <lmindlists@...> wrote:

                                            > Soaking of that sacred fuel knob, has anyone managed to show it to a cnc shop?
                                            >
                                            > Jack Byers <jackbyers@...> wrote:
                                            >

                                            > >Hello Brother Jason,
                                            > > Our archives are replete with knob tales, There is no way to win
                                            > >over one of those !@#$%^&* plastic fuel tap knobs. You can buy an
                                            > >aluminum knob these days, as they are sold by SAENG, or perhaps even
                                            > >Bike Bandit I think. We have an ingenious member (other than Bob, Ed,
                                            > >Greg, A2, and others) , that had a very high quality craftsman make
                                            > >some several years back. I was one of the Blessed ones that got one.
                                            > >It takes that awful task, of going to "reserve", and makes it a
                                            > >simple "click" feel, one can easily manage. It has taken years for
                                            > >someone to pick up the ball. You will love on on your bike!
                                            > > Kindest regards,
                                            > > Poppa Jack
                                            > > PS: HAPPY JULY 4th to all of my fellow Yanks!' Just another work
                                            > >day for you "Limes" eh? Perfectly understandable nobody likes being
                                            > >the Loser.
                                            > >On Jul 1, 2013, at 3:39 PM, Jason Hart wrote:
                                            > >

                                            > >> Yes fixed the knob once with epoxy ... will check to make sure its
                                            > >> turning the shaft. However seems the sensor matches the symptoms
                                            > >> the most. Will do all the fuel stuff first ...any one have a bench
                                            > >> test to determine if sensor is at fault before I buy one?
                                            > >> Jason

                                          • Samuel Crider
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jul 3, 2013

                                              You could use freeze spray bit that would involve pulling  the cover. Just replace it as the little beast is likely the culprit. Make sure to clean up the wire connector. As this has caused issues similar to the alarm connector in the past. If it turns out to be good then you shouldn't have to worry about the sensor for at least the next four years.

                                              Samuel

                                              On Jul 1, 2013 7:07 PM, "Jason Hart" <biker_jas@...> wrote:

                                              Thanks Ed , will do same test

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jul 7, 2013
                                                  Have ordered the sensor part from my local dealer on July 2 - $84 Cdn less 10% .. no one has it in stock except some part shop in California that want $94 plus shipping. Will take 1 to 2 weeks from England via where ever it's actually made.  Tried bench testing ... ohms test seems to pass although I'm afraid to fry it with the heat gun so maybe did not heat it up enough. Another test is to put a metal screw driver to the magnet pickup and test volt output when pulling it away. Should be between 0.6 volts and 3volts from what I read up on line. Mine was much weaker ... so hoping it's this. It is the original part so 19 years old - 18 years of running and 109,000km.  Seems I've got more out of it than most.

                                                  Fuel flow seems fine - with petcock on normal ; drained #3 carb and it stopped as it should - sucked on vacuum tube to tank petcock and flow started again. Drain from gas tank seems fine as I can blow through it as well as breath in when sucking on the rubber down drain. Petcock knob turns shaft.

                                                  Some additional info on the pick-up sensor - mine is marked as made in West Germany by PVL and black... looking at their web-site seems they make these for BMW as well. No mention of Triumph. Taking a look at their distribution network also make racing ignition systems for bikes ... no mention of our models (3 or 4 bangers). Maybe someone has inside connections at PVL?

                                                  Jason - 1994 Trident 900

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jul 7, 2013
                                                      Might be worth matching the sensor to the manufacturer of your ignitor as both gill and pvl manufacture those too. Just a thought as I haven't heard of incompatabilities. Meanwhile generic ignitors off eBay at 50dollars work too.
                                                      A2

                                                      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gandrews@...> wrote:

                                                      > Hi Jason, You have done the right things to do. The 900's and 1200's use the same ignition sensor. Both Gill and PVL make coils and sensors. Most people prefer PVL coils. Bikebandit.com also sells Triumph parts for the same price as a Triumph dealers, but then you have to add on shipping costs. I prefer going to the dealer. They know me and know them. I don't know anybody at Bike Bandit. They sell the sensor for about $117.
                                                      > Greg Andrews
                                                      > '96 900 BRG
                                                      >
                                                      > Jason Hart wrote:
                                                      > Have ordered the sensor part from my local dealer on July 2 - $84 Cdn less 10% .. no one has it in stock except some part shop in California that want $94 plus shipping.
                                                      > Fuel flow seems fine - with petcock on normal ; drained #3 carb and it stopped as it should - sucked on vacuum tube to tank petcock and flow started again. Drain from gas tank seems fine as I can blow through it as well as breath in when sucking on the rubber down drain. Petcock knob turns shaft. Some additional info on the pick-up sensor - mine is marked as made in West Germany by PVL and black... looking at their web-site seems they make these for BMW as well. No mention of Triumph.
                                                      > Jason - 1994 Trident 900

                                                    • Jason Hart
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jul 7, 2013
                                                        What are you referring to as the ignitor ? Are you referring to the coils?  Do you have a link to the generic ones you are referring to on E-bay? Recall that my bench test was inconclusive for the sensor ...
                                                        Tried bench testing ... ohms test seems to pass although I'm afraid to fry it with the heat gun so maybe did not heat it up enough. Another test is to put a metal screw driver to the magnet pickup and test volt output when pulling it away. Should be between 0.6 volts and 3volts from what I read up on line. Voltage measured was much weaker ... seemed to get stronger when cool.
                                                        Jason

                                                        Greg wrote ...

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jul 8, 2013
                                                          http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR8.TRC0.Xtriumph+trophy+ignition+sensor.TRS0&_nkw=triumph+trophy+ignition+sensor&_sacat=0&_from=R40

                                                          you could google the part number I suppose T1290022 or T1290009-T030

                                                          and the ignitor could be T1290071-5 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-TROPHY-1200-CDI-IGNITER-BOX-POST-FREE-/370848154584?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item565845c3d8)

                                                          is either on your mudguard or in the fairing forward of the clocks. Its a 150mmx150mmx25mm (guess) box - It reads the signal off the kill switch/sidestand/alarm etc makes sense of the ignition sensor and kills the connection on the negative side of the coils for a spark.

                                                          Still you are ahead of the game - I saved myself the testing and accidently stepped on it - but the replacement works...

                                                          A2