Bike stops running every 12 km (8 miles) for no apparent reason

  • biker_jas
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 30, 2013
      Hi,
      Trident 900 - 1994 (107K km). Bike has been running great. Out today and after topping up the tank - 10 km later the engine cuts out. After waiting about an hour - turning the key starts the bike - runs fine again for 13 km - same again a third time. Can't figure it out. Does not seem to be electrical (triple has individual coils and so should not be the coil curse of the 4 banger - at least I would think it would show on one cylinder not all). Almost like I'm running out of fuel - but the tank is full? Any ideas - seems I remember a similar tread a few years back - was a solution found?

      Some addition info - gas tank lining done beginning of last season as well as the carbs - ran great all last year - no sight tank coating failed. Could the dreaded fuel tank petcock valve cause this?

      Your help appreciated.
      Jason
    • Triumphmotorcycleman Triple
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 30, 2013
        Hello jason,

        9 times out of ten it's the crankshaft position sensor, after it cools down it will run.
        Search for crankshaftsensor in the help files.

        Good luck,

        Koos

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 2013
          Agreed. Still, if you feel like trying again try opening the fuel cap right away when it quits. If it starts the crank sensor is OK.

          Cheers,
          Glenn

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Triumphmotorcycleman Triple <triumphtriple900@...> wrote:

          > Hello jason,
          >
          > 9 times out of ten it's the crankshaft position sensor, after it cools down it will run.
          > Search for crankshaftsensor in the help files.
          >
          > Good luck,
          >
          > Koos
          >

          > ________________________________

        • steve w
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 1, 2013
            Try riding with the gas cap open just enough to breath, a temporary fix
            if a vacuum is being created, this happened in 03 with my trophy, the
            dealer drilled some holes in a portion of the cap to vent the tank and
            allow flow. Might be something new blocking the vent in the cap.

            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "biker_jas" wrote:

            > Hi,
            > Trident 900 - 1994 (107K km). Bike has been running great. Out today
            and after topping up the tank - 10 km later the engine cuts out. After
            waiting about an hour - turning the key starts the bike - runs fine
            again for 13 km - same again a third time. Can't figure it out. Does not
            seem to be electrical (triple has individual coils and so should not be
            the coil curse of the 4 banger - at least I would think it would show on
            one cylinder not all). Almost like I'm running out of fuel - but the
            tank is full? Any ideas - seems I remember a similar tread a few years
            back - was a solution found?

            > Some addition info - gas tank lining done beginning of last season as
            well as the carbs - ran great all last year - no sight tank coating
            failed. Could the dreaded fuel tank petcock valve cause this?

            > Your help appreciated.
            > Jason

          • Kevin Dix
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 1, 2013

              The Triumphs have a flawed tip-over valve in the fuel tank vent hose, take it out and I expect your problem will cease.  I had this with my Trophy and looked at all these other things.  I once again came to realize that when faced with many unknown problems do the easiest and cheapest repairs first and work toward the most costly cautiously.  KWD

            • Greg
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 1, 2013
                Hi Jason,
                I am thinking it is the ignition pickup sensor. It has happened to me. One of two coughs the the ignition went off. It took three stops to get home that night.

                Another time, I mistakenly thought it was the sensor, but it was a kink in the fuel line.

                To rule out the fuel line or filter, try this. Put the bike on the center stand, and turn the fuel knob to prime. On cylinder 3 the carb should have a drain screw facing the right side. Figure out a way to drain away the fuel when you open the float bowl drain screw. I'm thinking something similar to a small rain gutter. If there is a fuel restriction the float bowl will drain easily, but after that the fuel would drain slowly.
                Hope this helps,
                Greg Andrews

                "biker_jas" wrote:
                Hi, Trident 900 - 1994 (107K km). Out today and after topping up the tank - 10 km later the engine cuts out. After waiting about an hour - turning the key starts the bike - runs fine again for 13 km - same again a third time. Can't figure it out.
                Almost like I'm running out of fuel - but the tank is full?
                Your help appreciated.
                Jason
              • Jason Hart
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 1, 2013
                  The 1994 Triumphs were only shipped to Canada and only in 1995 were they sent to USA. I don't have a tip - over valve - I think this was added later. I will look at all hoses from the tank as suggested.
                  Thanks

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 1, 2013
                    Thanks - will take cap off and look for blockages.

                    Try riding with the gas cap open just enough to breath, a temporary fix
                    if a vacuum is being created, this happened in 03 with my trophy, the
                    dealer drilled some holes in a portion of the cap to vent the tank and
                    allow flow. Might be something new blocking the vent in the cap.

                    --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "biker_jas" wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    > Trident 900 - 1994 (107K km). Bike has been running great. Out today
                    and after topping up the tank - 10 km later the engine cuts out. After
                    waiting about an hour - turning the key starts the bike - runs fine
                    again for 13 km - same again a third time. Can't figure it out. Does not
                    seem to be electrical (triple has individual coils and so should not be
                    the coil curse of the 4 banger - at least I would think it would show on
                    one cylinder not all). Almost like I'm running out of fuel - but the
                    tank is full? Any ideas - seems I remember a similar tread a few years
                    back - was a solution found?

                    > Some addition info - gas tank lining done beginning of last season as
                    well as the carbs - ran great all last year - no sight tank coating
                    failed. Could the dreaded fuel tank petcock valve cause this?

                    > Your help appreciated.
                    > Jason

                  • Jason Hart
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 1, 2013
                      Thanks - where is the ignition sensor ? I will try testing the petcock first as you suggest.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 1, 2013
                        Koos is right, The crank position sensor is famous for doing this. One clue is when the sensor cuts out due to heat, the tach needle will go to zero while the motor is still spinning as you are trying to find a place to pull over. Hard to pay attention to the tach when this happens but it is a valuable clue. You will also see no tach needle activity when trying to restart the motor while still hot.

                        Steve

                        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Triumphmotorcycleman Triple <triumphtriple900@...> wrote:

                        > Hello jason,
                        >
                        > 9 times out of ten it's the crankshaft position sensor, after it cools down it will run.
                        > Search for crankshaftsensor in the help files.
                        >
                        > Good luck,
                        >
                        > Koos
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • a2
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 1, 2013
                          did you go onto reserve and is it a long time since you ever used reserve? - as you could have just let a reserve of water through....

                          But I am sure you have been told to check for
                          kinked hoses inc vacuum,
                          leaks on the vacuum line or even on the scott oiler if you have one
                          air trapped tank filler.
                          heat affected conponents such as the pick up or coils - is the heat guard in place below the coils?
                          HT and LT connections
                          over volting alternator cooking the ignitor.
                          electrical breaks at the head of the frame. or associated connectors.

                          best to set up some tubes first to check the operation of the tank off the bike and in situ.

                          In view of the age and mileage I would grease up the connectors with silicone grease as one of the precautionary lines too. seems pointless to go through the connectors and not lube them.

                          A2

                          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "biker_jas" <biker_jas@...> wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          > Trident 900 - 1994 (107K km). Bike has been running great. Out today and after topping up the tank - 10 km later the engine cuts out. After waiting about an hour - turning the key starts the bike - runs fine again for 13 km - same again a third time. Can't figure it out. Does not seem to be electrical (triple has individual coils and so should not be the coil curse of the 4 banger - at least I would think it would show on one cylinder not all). Almost like I'm running out of fuel - but the tank is full? Any ideas - seems I remember a similar tread a few years back - was a solution found?
                          >
                          > Some addition info - gas tank lining done beginning of last season as well as the carbs - ran great all last year - no sight tank coating failed. Could the dreaded fuel tank petcock valve cause this?
                          >
                          > Your help appreciated.
                          > Jason

                        • EmptySporran
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 1, 2013
                            It is cutting out all at once / suddenly / immediately.... so can't be fuel.

                            Does the tach drop to zero immediately? If you cycle the ignition key does it restart immediately? Even only sometimes?

                            Gotta be electrical.

                            Electrical things which affect all the cylinders:

                            1) Crank position sensor (cheap, easy to replace)
                            2) Sidestand switch (easy to bypass to check that)
                            3) Clutch switch (probably also easy to bypass to check)
                            4) A ground somewhere (not too bad to use 10 gauge wire and eye terminals and re-do)
                            5) ECU ($750 new?)

                            My Trophy 1200 - had the cut-out-immediatley-when-hot too - Took a whole riding season of screwing around, troubleshooting (the above - in that order - as well as chasing a lot of red herrings about fuel) - before it was identified and corrected with a new ECU.

                            I have a spare 1200 ECU - new - on eBay right now, but that does not help YOU, does it?

                            Good luck...

                            Neil

                            PS: Interesting, my ECU failed (temperature related, becoming more severe over time, etc) immediately AFTER I did some fuel line work, too - same as yours. Here's what I think happens - in removing the fuel lines and maybe bettery and stuff, we somehow ground something that shouldn't be grounded, and it buggers the ECU. Whatever - from now on, I remove the battery correctly BEFORE oing any repairs, even if it is not in the way.

                            --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "gluman3" <1triumphrider@...> wrote:

                            > Koos is right, The crank position sensor is famous for doing this. One clue is when the sensor cuts out due to heat, the tach needle will go to zero while the motor is still spinning as you are trying to find a place to pull over. Hard to pay attention to the tach when this happens but it is a valuable clue. You will also see no tach needle activity when trying to restart the motor while still hot.
                            >
                            > Steve

                            > .......> > Trident 900 - 1994 (107K km). ........10 km later the engine cuts out. After waiting about an hour - turning the key starts the bike - runs fine again for 13 km - same again a third time. Can't figure it out. Does not seem to be electrical (triple has individual coils and so should not be the coil curse of the 4 banger - at least I would think it would show on one cylinder not all). Almost like I'm running out of fuel - but the tank is full? Any ideas - seems I remember a similar tread a few years back - was a solution found?
                            > >
                            > > Jason

                          • toibs
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 1, 2013
                              Had EXACTLY the same problem last year.... In fact have had it twice...
                              Both times same issue.. Crank position sensor...

                              Ebay for the part, 10 mins to install... One of the easiest fixes I have
                              had to do :)

                              Paul

                              On 2013-07-01 16:00, EmptySporran wrote:
> [...]
                              > > >
                              > > > Jason
                              > > >

                              > Links:
                              > ------
                              > [1]
                              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TriumphTrophy/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJwMTc5bDlrBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI5MDQ1MARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyNTkEbXNnSWQDODY4NjAEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMzcyNjkwODA2?act=reply&messageNum=86860
                              > [2]
                              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TriumphTrophy/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJkczZ1NGVrBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI5MDQ1MARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyNTkEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzcyNjkwODA2
                              > [3]
                              > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TriumphTrophy/message/86834;_ylc=X3oDMTM1b21lMW5yBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI5MDQ1MARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUxMjYyNTkEbXNnSWQDODY4NjAEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMzcyNjkwODA2BHRwY0lkAzg2ODM0
                            • a2
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 1, 2013
                                - yes that is best clue to electrical problems that switch off the ignitor

                                But then a faulty alarm signal could do that too.....

                                A2

                                --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "gluman3" <1triumphrider@...> wrote:

                                > Koos is right, The crank position sensor is famous for doing this. One clue is when the sensor cuts out due to heat, the tach needle will go to zero while the motor is still spinning as you are trying to find a place to pull over. Hard to pay attention to the tach when this happens but it is a valuable clue. You will also see no tach needle activity when trying to restart the motor while still hot.
                                >
                                > Steve
                                >
                                > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Triumphmotorcycleman Triple <triumphtriple900@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hello jason,
                                > >
                                > > 9 times out of ten it's the crankshaft position sensor, after it cools down it will run.
                                > > Search for crankshaftsensor in the help files.
                                > >
                                > > Good luck,
                                > >
                                > > Koos
                                > >

                                > > ________________________________

                              • a2
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 1, 2013
                                  Did someone say cheap - £80 for a sensor!!.....pfffff!!!. cheap is when you just regap the points with a piece of card.....

                                  A2

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 1, 2013
                                    @ A2
                                    80 pounds for a new sensor is too much, on Ebay u.k. you'll get them new for 45 pounds

                                    @ Jason,
                                    Sensor is behind the 5.5 inch round crankshaft cover, next to the clutch cover.
                                    Don't forget to order a new gasket aswell, sometimes u can't re-use the gasket
                                    Don't you own a workshop manual?
                                    You've got mail

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 1, 2013
                                      Hi Jason,

                                      Here's a downloadlink to the Workshopmanual.
                                      I have a 1994 Trident  too, next to a Speed Triple 900, 750 and Sprint 900
                                      Regards,

                                      Koos

                                      http://www3.zippyshare.com/v/86748990/file.html

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 1, 2013
                                        Yes have shop manual and have located sensor - Canada Day today so will leave this for tomorrow (family celebrations). When I posted was late and did not go through the manual until after I read all of your feedback and suggestions this morning. Yes tach dropped to 0 immediately as I was pulling over and downshifting...something I noticed at the time but forgot until you mentioned it.
                                        Pointing to the sensor more and more. Hope I can clean it - re-gap and get me going again (if not finding a cheap one is next best thing).
                                        Thanks for everyone's input - much appreciated.
                                        Will let the group know how it goes in a few days
                                        Jason

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 1, 2013
                                          Now that you mention it ... exactly  what happened each time.

                                          Koos is right, The crank position sensor is famous for doing this. One clue is when the sensor cuts out due to heat, the tach needle will go to zero while the motor is still spinning as you are trying to find a place to pull over. Hard to pay attention to the tach when this happens but it is a valuable clue. You will also see no tach needle activity when trying to restart the motor while still hot.

                                          Steve

                                          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Triumphmotorcycleman Triple <triumphtriple900@...> wrote:

                                          > Hello jason,
                                          >
                                          > 9 times out of ten it's the crankshaft position sensor, after it cools down it will run.
                                          > Search for crankshaftsensor in the help files.
                                          >
                                          > Good luck,
                                          >
                                          > Koos

                                        • Stephen
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jul 8, 2013
                                            Had a similar problem with my BBBB,starved of fuel bike will stop quite suddenly with no power, a clue is if it will fire with the choke on, if it does fire its fuel for definite. My problem turned out to be a faulty vacuum line to the tap. I had a coil go down recently this is quite a different fault.