Re: Possible/probable coil solution

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26, 2013
      Hi Glenn,
      Last month I took my extra 900 head to the dealer to see if the stick coils would fit. They tried a few but they were all to tall. This might be a possibility if they are short enough.
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-Daytona-675R-Ignition-Coil-Set-Coils-PFKL1200696-/400516688743?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d40a7ab67&vxp=mtr

      Greg Andrews

      "slovcan" wrote:
      The solution is COP (Coil On Plug) or otherwise known as "stick coils". Our V4 engines use a wasted spark system with ignitor box(es) like the BBBB (2 coils for 4 cylinders). They are 4 ohm resistance coils. For us we would need the longer coil sticks (~5 inch), I think, as the spark plugs are quite deep in the head. This solution is so simple it is ridiculous and thanks to our man Hopit88 for discovering it and proving it works.
      Glenn,
    • a2
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 27, 2013
        Have I worked out that it can only work on a 1200 as they HAVE to be in series to kee the resistance high enough not to melt the ignitor transistors?

        If I tried it then best to put in the old ignitor!!!
        A2

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "a2" <adeux60@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-02-03-04-05-06-Honda-CBR600-F4i-CBR600F4-F4-O\
        > > EM-tested-coil-sticks-ignition-/321147015557?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Access\
        > > ories&hash=item4ac5da9185&vxp=mtr
        > > <http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-02-03-04-05-06-Honda-CBR600-F4i-CBR600F4-F4-\
        > > OEM-tested-coil-sticks-ignition-/321147015557?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Acces\
        > > sories&hash=item4ac5da9185&vxp=mtr> . Here is his write-up:
        > > In my never ending quest to fight modding boredom and to lose my 28 year
        > > old stock coils, I decided to try some modern stick coils on the old
        > > girl. I haven't seen it done on the 1st gens so I didn't have much to go
        > > on. I bought a set from a CBR along with a harness...$40. Wired in
        > > series, they ohm out almost exactly as the stockers. A buddy has 10k
        > > miles on a set on his Connie with the same ignition system as my R with
        > > no issues so I figured WTH.
        > > First I made a custom harness using the CBR connectors.
        > > [img]http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr237/hopit88/e9b29e5c-6e60-48fb\
        > > -b062-207ad53945f1_zps54d1cf8c.jpg[/img]
        > > I needed to seal the coil in the spark plug opening so I grabbed a
        > > grommet from the
        > > PO...[img]http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr237/hopit88/grommet_zpsb4\
        > > 369bc7.jpg[/img]
        > > and trimmed off one of the
        > > flanges.[img]http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr237/hopit88/cutgrommet\
        > > _zps18943087.jpg[/img]
        > > Here's how it seals in the hole...nice and
        > > tight.[img]http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr237/hopit88/IMG_2862_zps\
        > > ce466f8e.jpg[/img]
        > > On the inlines, the valve cover helps hold the coil in place, but the
        > > R's head is dished out around the plug so I needed to steady the coil. I
        > > cut some heater hose and made a sleeve to wedge the coil into the head.
        > > Rock solid
        > > now.[img]http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr237/hopit88/IMG_2863_zps2e\
        > > 679d20.jpg[/img]
        > > Fronts.You can see another reason why I went with an updated rad
        > > fan(works great by the way), stock fans would hit the coils but the slim
        > > line one is no problem after a small
        > > modification.[img]http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr237/hopit88/IMG_2\
        > > 866_zps2c3b9910.jpg[/img]
        > > Rears.I temporarily tucked everything away for the test run. I'll make a
        > > carbon fiber plate where the old coils use to be to tie down the
        > > cables/connections.[img]http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr237/hopit88\
        > > /1f101078-d0f9-4149-ad3e-12638fdc7c04_zps133f9054.jpg[/img]
        > > It starts and runs great, all the way to redline. I've got about 100
        > > miles on it and all seems normal. Some claim better starting, better
        > > response, blah blah blah. I really just wanted to lose the old coils,
        > > pay less money for an upgrade and just see if I could do it.
        > > Some may ask why, but I feel it's more fun in life asking why not.
        > > This is a REALLY BIG discovery for us Honda V4 guys and I think may have

      • Samuel Crider
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 27, 2013

          I'd expect them to work fine in either application. Two each wired in parallel for a final .8ohm primary load for the BBBB. Seems close enough to the one of .6ohm. Should draw a lower current flow which means less heat on the output switching transistor. As for the BBB I'd think they would be fine with the oem connection.

          Samuel

          ------------------------------------

          List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

          Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com