Re: Gordon grumbles that the tail LED's are too directional.....

  • a2
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 24, 2013
      there you go he doesnt grumble at all
      A2

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "gordon2xbbb" <gordon.smith29@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > What Gordon said was 'following riders found there wasn't enough of an 'Illumination Intensity Differential' using Leds in the Stop/Tail Light position, when compared to using normal Incandescent Filament bulbs.
      >
      > This is all down to the Led bulb circuitry (layout) available at the time - there were 15 white Leds and all 15 were illuminated at the same time, the only difference was the Intensity of the illumination when the STOP signal was applied - quite simply they didn't get as bright as in the Incandescent case where the light Intensity differential between a 5 watt filament and then an additional 21 watt filament was FAR GREATER, making the STOP or 'braking' indication much more noticeable from the rear in normal daylight conditions...
      >
      > Things may have improved in the 12 months or so since I last looked at this problem - in the Replacement bulb field anyway.
      >
      > Interesting to note that on my new Tiger 800 Roadie the rear lamp is an 'all Led sealed unit' with 14 Leds arranged in two centrally located vertical rows of 7-a-side, each row pointing away from the centre-line to the left and right. They use the same Leds for both Tail and Stop functions but increase the brightness intensity as before to indicate a STOP or Braking indication. The Rear Light Unit is approximately 5 inches tall and 4 inches wide. As I said before it is a 'Sealed' unit (no idea how much they COST, £86.58 from World of Triumph - Gulp! ) but I'm not intending to break it, just yet. The arrangement of the internal reflectors must do a lot to improve visibility from the rear. No type approval markings visible from the rear of the bike - but it must conform to some standard, right?
      >
      > No doubt a similar system will have been used on the New Trophy ?
      > Have we got any Owners of such bikes in this Group yet ?
      > Perhaps they would like to comment or confirm...
      > I'll take some shots and Post in Sharon & Traceys' Album if anybody is interested..
      >
      > Vehicle Lighting has come on in leaps and bounds since the Hinckley Trophy MkI & II were produced. Lenses are now clear, flat polycarbonate in the main, both front and rear, with all the focusing going on at the bulb or in the reflector which was not the case with the incandescent bulbs. Bulb technology changes and the use of Leds has meant a shift in colour temperature from previous values so lenses and filters have to change as well. Not all Led replacement bulbs will work properly (on a Lighting level) when compared with the incandescent bulbs.
      >
      > My interest in Leds was purely as a means of reducing the electrical load on the miserly Trophy Alternator which in turn gives the battery a decent charge from a daylight run, even with headlight ON.
      >
      > I've reached a Happy Compromise with my two Trophies which works for me and I'm pleased with it, albeit with the use of Led Daylight Running Lights instead of Headlights during the day.

    • gordon2xbbb
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 25, 2013
        Tttthhhhrrrraaaapppppppp !

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "a2" <adeux60@...> wrote:

        > there you go he doesnt grumble at all
        > A2
        >

        > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "gordon2xbbb" <gordon.smith29@> wrote:
        > >
        > > No he doesn't....
      • Jason Hart
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 25, 2013
          My only experience with LED bulbs was that I noticed that my original tail / brake bulbs were always burning out ...so I replaced them with LED lights that mimicked the original bulbs ... no need to do any wiring, just replace the bulb. My original error was to take the sales reps recommendation when I asked him for the brightest bulbs to pick high brightness white LED lights. Learned later that they emit  a much narrower wave band so the red lens cap filtered out much of the light ... solution was to replace the whites with red LED (you can't tell from the colour of the bulb .. its on the package) . Now works great.
          Jason
          1994 Trident 900