Re: Katana Mod or Johnson Jolt

  • a2
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 23, 2013
      Hi Glen correct - are you getting low voltage at the coil positive? otherwise its pointless. If you are getting a low voltage - why?

      Also IMHO - is there a failing in making the ignition system dependent on an additional relay??

      It works though - then I broke down and in a fit of "its gotta work monday" swapped out to modern ignitor, new pickup coil, swapped alternator and removed alarm and reinforced alarm cut out link. then removed the JJ. It starts superbly.

      I put the jj relay by the engine and got worried about cooking it. Also it is easy to just put a wire from battery plus to coil plus just to see if the running improves before do the Jump

      Dunno what solved it though

      A2

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "slovcan" <slovcan@...> wrote:

      > Hi folks,
      > I want to do this mod, but am not always so confident with electrical
      > work. Here is what I figure so far.
      > I'll use an identical relay to the Hella headlight relays. The terminals
      > on that relay are #85 (Ground), #86 (Trigger Green/Brown from any
      > ignition coil), #30 (10 amp fused wire directly from the battery) and
      > #87 (3 wires - 1 to each ignition coil +). That leaves 2 original
      > ignition coil Green/Brown wires unused to be insulated and secured.
      > Is this correct or was I right not to be confident with my electrical
      > thoughts?
      > Thanks,Glenn
      > --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "a2" wrote:
      > >
      > > I think that my bike - prejolt- at the coils was 10 v running and 8v
      > cranking.....no second chances at those levels...

    • gordon2xbbb
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 26, 2013
        Hi Greg

        I have fitted mini LED (Projector) Daylight Running Lights to the Vent Holes in the fairing on my Mk II (Sharon) which leaves plenty of room for 'ventilation' to still take place.
        Also mounted some larger (4)LED Cree Daylight Running Lights under the Mirror mounting on each side.
        They are all wired into the Position/Park/Sidelight and I have the option to switch them all off should I decide to - UK Bike..
        The primary purpose was to improve the daytime visibility of my bike towards other vehicles, without having to waste precious Alternator output and burning up expensive headlamp bulbs in the process.
        It seems to work as I can now ride quite confident that only the registered blind would not be able to notice the 'different' light-point pattern as I approach them.
        I've taken the trouble to have them correctly aligned so they don't dazzle oncoming traffic at night because when used at night they provide a very helpful 'in-fill' to complement the normal twin headlight beam pattern.
        We're not talking Paris/Dakar light levels capable of drying wet sand in front of the bike but there is a notable improvement and not at TT Race Pace either but sufficient to maintain all legal speeds in normal weather conditions - I've not tried them in the rain at night as yet...I may be stupid, but not that stupid...
        There are a few pictures of the lamps in 'our' album "Sharon & Tracey" and I have some more somewhere should you need them

        Cheers
        Gordon
        2xBBB 1xTiger 800
        Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK