Re: engine cut out

  • gordon2xbbb
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 22, 2013
      Hi Chuck,

      Sorry to hear of your troubles and for coming to this problem 'late' in the day...

      All useful advice so far (as per normal) but I've not seen mention of the Clutch Switch - this one can be a real PITA - especially if you forget about it !

      Do you pull in the Clutch Lever to start the bike normally, or just something you do first start of the day ?

      Good idea to pull the Clutch Lever in...not only does it reduce the mechanical load on the Starter system but it also 'wipes' the contacts which might be just what your bike needs if it mis-behaves after being stood for a while.

      My own favourite 'bet noir' is the Kill Switch - not used very often by most of us (Emergencies ONLY) but it's contacts do need to be kept clean. Use a good quality Contact Cleaner, rather than WD40, and exercise that switch with the power OFF a few dozen times, then switch ON.
      A couple of flicks every week or so should keep them clean thereafter

      Another area to look at is the FUSE blades and Fuse Holder springs - they can get a little oxidised and need a quick buffing-up or squirt with Contact Cleaner..

      Hope you get it sorted soon

      Cheers
      Gordon
      2xBBB, 1xTiger 800