Re: [TriumphTrophy] engine cut out

  • apsllp@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 21, 2013
      Try with booster cables attached helping the battery from the car.  After the car is running at idle.  This will ensure the ignition system is getting enough voltage.

      The Triumph starter does have the ability to spin the motor wilst the battery not able to deliver enough voltage to properly fire the spark plugs.

      From: "vintagesailor" <oceanis281@...>
      To: <TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Fri, Jun 21, 2013 9:58 am

      While riding along, the bike began to loose power and finally stopped
      running. I was not able to get it re-started, aftern MANY tries.
      Finally I lost all electrical power to the bike EXCEPT the anti-theft
      device kept working...any ideas where to look. Prior to then the
      bike ran well, started well except on an occation or two when I would
      press the starter noting would happen, I would then move a couple of
      the switches (headlight, kill and/or lower and raise the side stand)
      and then the bike would kick over. This only happened when bike had
      not been ridden for quite a while

    • gordon2xbbb
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 22, 2013
        Hi Chuck,

        Sorry to hear of your troubles and for coming to this problem 'late' in the day...

        All useful advice so far (as per normal) but I've not seen mention of the Clutch Switch - this one can be a real PITA - especially if you forget about it !

        Do you pull in the Clutch Lever to start the bike normally, or just something you do first start of the day ?

        Good idea to pull the Clutch Lever in...not only does it reduce the mechanical load on the Starter system but it also 'wipes' the contacts which might be just what your bike needs if it mis-behaves after being stood for a while.

        My own favourite 'bet noir' is the Kill Switch - not used very often by most of us (Emergencies ONLY) but it's contacts do need to be kept clean. Use a good quality Contact Cleaner, rather than WD40, and exercise that switch with the power OFF a few dozen times, then switch ON.
        A couple of flicks every week or so should keep them clean thereafter

        Another area to look at is the FUSE blades and Fuse Holder springs - they can get a little oxidised and need a quick buffing-up or squirt with Contact Cleaner..

        Hope you get it sorted soon

        Cheers
        Gordon
        2xBBB, 1xTiger 800