Re: [TriumphTrophy] engine cut out

  • Chuck Weissberg
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013

      UPDATE...   went out this afternoon and tried to start the bike...Got my electronics back (lights horn etc)  and when I
      tried to fire it up, it WANTED to catch but would not...I also got an INTERMITTENT loss of electricals as the starter
      was turning over the motor...does this further help in the diagnosis?

      From: "vintagesailor" <oceanis281@...>
      To: <TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [TriumphTrophy] engine cut out
      Date: Fri, Jun 21, 2013 9:58 am

      While riding along, the bike began to loose power and finally stopped
      running. I was not able to get it re-started, aftern MANY tries.
      Finally I lost all electrical power to the bike EXCEPT the anti-theft
      device kept working...any ideas where to look. Prior to then the
      bike ran well, started well except on an occation or two when I would
      press the starter noting would happen, I would then move a couple of
      the switches (headlight, kill and/or lower and raise the side stand)
      and then the bike would kick over. This only happened when bike had
      not been ridden for quite a while

    • nigel_keating
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013
        Sounds like the battery voltage might be too low to support the coils and ignitor while cranking.
        Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

        From: "Chuck Weissberg" <oceanis281@...>
        Sender: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 12:02:14 -0400
        To: <TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 21, 2013
          Not allowed to just agree with Bob so might add that the voltages measured at the coil positive and the resistances of the parts mentioned would be your way forward.
          A2

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, nigelpk@... wrote:

          > Sounds like the battery voltage might be too low to support the coils and ignitor while cranking.
          > Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

        • Chuck Weissberg
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 23, 2013

            Okay all, thanks for all your replies and info.....I feel like a horses pattute ...TURNS out I just ran out of GAS (petrol for you Brits)
            Try with booster cables attached helping the battery from the car.  After the car is running at idle.  This will ensure the ignition system is getting enough voltage.

            The Triumph starter does have the ability to spin the motor wilst the battery not able to deliver enough voltage to properly fire the spark plugs.