  • kevinperkins248@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2013
      Is there a special way to get the bike onto its centre stand,i've just had an op and can't for the life of me get it into centre stand any tips please
    • nigel_keating
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2013
        Kevin its a heavy beast but pressing hard with your foot on the stand lever and pulling on the lifting handle ( just in front of left pannier) at the same time works well.

        Cheers nigel
        99 BBBB nwuk
        Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

        From: "kevinperkins248@..." <kevinperkins248@...>
        Sender: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 10:00:04 -0000
        To: <TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [TriumphTrophy] 96 Trophy 900

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2013
          I carry a piece of 3/4" Plywood [10" X 12"] to drive the rear wheel up on so that I can get mine on the center stand easier. I can also use it to put under the side stand in soft or wet ground. Otherwise I can't get it up there.
          HTH!
          Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB
          On 6/3/2013 6:00 AM, kevinperkins248@... wrote:
          Is there a special way to get the bike onto its centre stand,i've just had an op and can't for the life of me get it into centre stand any tips please

          ------------------------------------

          List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

          Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              TriumphTrophy-digest@yahoogroups.com
              TriumphTrophy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2013
            Hey Man,
             Don't feel bad, we all have that problem if we have changed to a lower than stock profile tire. To beat the physics all you must do is roll the back tire backward onto a 2" X 4" X 4" wood block, put down the centerstand like normal, with your weight on the centerstand lever, it should just pop up. To take it off, remove the wood block from the rear, and roll it off like normal. I hope this helps.
            On Jun 3, 2013, at 3:00 AM, kevinperkins248@... wrote:

            Is there a special way to get the bike onto its centre stand,i've just had an op and can't for the life of me get it into centre stand any tips please

          • Greg
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2013
              Hi Kevin,
              How easily it goes up on the center stand is dependent on how high the rear wheel is lifted off the ground. If it is a 1/4 inch, lifting it is easy (my '98 sprint). If it is 2 inches it is really hard (my brother's Super 3 Daytona).
              There are a couple of ways to find a solution. Carrying a board is an easy way although inconvenient.

              Lowering the fork tubes in the triple clamps, maybe they had be raised in the past and is out of the stock setting. Find a different length rear shock, expensive. Install adjustable dog bones, about $300. These three fixes will also affect the amount of lean while using the side stand.

              Shorten the center stand is what I did to my Sprint. I shortened it a 1/4 inch between the angled support and the foot. I inserted a smaller tube inside and used roll pins to connect the pieces back together. If you like the results it could be welded for a permanent fix. Side stand lean angle is unchanged.
              Hope this helps,
              Greg Andrews
              '98 Sprint Sport
              '96 900 Trophy

              kevinperkins248@...> wrote:
              Is there a special way to get the bike onto its centre stand,i've just had an op and can't for the life of me get it into centre stand any tips please
            • Samuel Crider
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2013

                Hi Kevin,

                It also helps if you develop a slight foward, backward, foward, backward sloshing action prior to attempting. Then using as much force as comfortably  possible when engaging the stand with ones foot. By perfecting this method you can reduce the lifting force required by 50% at the lifting handle. If this doesn't work then try elevating the rear wheel.

                Best of luck,
                Samuel

                kevinperkins248@...> wrote:
                Is there a special way to get the bike onto its centre stand,i've just had an op and can't for the life of me get it into centre stand any tips please

                ------------------------------------

                List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

                Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    TriumphTrophy-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    TriumphTrophy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • a2
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2013
                  Got to be in neutral. If you can manage rearward motion simultaneously....it helps but can I inquire about the op as I think I put my back out getting mine onto the stand.

                  I had suzukis and you could get on the centre stand from the sitting position....maybe I was younger.

                  I did break a centre stand arm and welded it back up with a 40mm extension by welding a big bolt into the tube but the extra leverage would mostly create more destruction of the stand but easily....which makes you think heaving on the stand element is the least critical part of the whip back....

                  If you go the welding route - it is easier - try to brace the weld
                  A2

                  --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "kevinperkins248@..." <kevinperkins248@...> wrote:

                  > Is there a special way to get the bike onto its centre stand,i've just had an op and can't for the life of me get it into centre stand any tips please

                • KEVIN PERKINS
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 4, 2013
                    Thanks for the advice getting my bike onto centre stand i spent an hour this morning perfecting the move so it can be done without pain,I've found the best way for me is left leg on stand right hand on frame left on handle bar and if all rocked and lifted in unison it goes on quite well,the Trophy is one heavy lump when not being ridden. the op was to remove my gall bladder as it had split and gone sceptic inside leaving me with a delicate stomach for the next couple of weeks,Thanks to you all for the advice,Kevin

                  • Ken Hastie
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 4, 2013

                      Ugh, just been put off my lunch  8-(

                      Thanks for that timely contribution… !

                      Ken Hastie
                      Triumph Trophy 1200, BSA A75 Rocket Three, A10 Golden Flash, B40 350cc, D10 and D14 Bantams

                      From: TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com