Re: [TriumphTrophy] New 2013 Trophy

  • Jim Gray
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2013
      Hello Trophy lovers,

      Today was my highly anticipated 2013 Trophy demo ride. Let me start by saying it was not as enjoyable as it could have been. The reason for such was that I had planned to make a date with Jack Martin to demo ride together with a luncheon afterwards to talk about our experience. Jack informed me late in the week that he had an important obligation today so I elected to ride on with out him.

      I got up early to get my 2000 BRG BBBB Trophy all ready for a little 30 minute bonding before riding the latest version. Me and the BRG had a blast! We sped up to 120mph and then cruised around the city at posted speeds. Then the moment came....

      I drove in to see the beautiful pacific blue 1200cc triple getting staged for my ride. Instant grin :) After a brief safety overview, and an orientation with the "necessary" controls I met my demo leader. After talking with him about road safety and procedures if something unforeseen should take place we set sail for our 20 minute cat and mouse session.

      First off let me touch on the appearance, in my opinion the 2013 Trophy is just like any other post 2010 production sport touring bike, nothing distinguishing, just a bid looking flagship. The color happens to be one of my favorites and if you ask Jack Martin, he'll swear it's the fastest colored Trophy on the market!

      The seating has two settings for the driver and one for the pillion. My choice was the tallest height. Now for the record, I am 5'11", 260lbs with a 31" pant leg inseam. The height was great for my stature, although the seat felt a considerable bit wider than our saddles. Although a little uncomfortable in the beginning, when riding and warming up to it after a few stoplight I found it acceptable. Personally, I'd upgrade to a gel version or an airhawk aftermarket cushion.

      The riding position for me was very nice, slightly more upright than my BRG and felt "right". Both sides of the handlebars has a cluster of controls at the fingertips (or slightly further away). Although of the handful of controls at my reach, I only used the windscreen in addition to our regular riding controls (turn indicator, horn, start switch). Incidentally, because of the location of the computer toggle switch, I seemed to default to it in hoping to raise or lower the windscreen. Took a little getting used to the windscreen controls being furthest away from the left handle grip. The foot pegs seemed well positioned and the gear shifter and brake pedal were nicely matched. The brake controls (front lever and foot pedal) seemed much more sensitive than what I'm used to. After a few stops that was no longer a concern. As for the shifting, each gear came easily by command but with a fairly audible noise up-shifting.

      The suspension is user select-able and four user profiles can be created to accommodate different suspension preferences like two up or sport. I rode it on single rider with normal suspension. I put the suspension through a series of braking and accelerating test. I found that the rear end is steady and the front likes to raise a bit with heavy acceleration in 1st-3rd gears and while heavy breaking the nose does dip a little steep, although nothing like our stock front ends.

      In the corners, this machine comes alive! I purposefully to my BRG out for a little taste of corner-ability before riding the 1200 triple. Well, I quickly found  out that modern day suspension equals superb cornering with unprecedented confidence. I found myself doing 45-50mph on a nice banked on-ramp with ease and almost scraping my right foot peg. On my BRG the same on-ramp would be a handful around 40mph. As for the cornering, the new Trophy is AMAZING!

      Performance, this Trophy leaves nothing to be desired. It's classic triple Triumph purr is all you need to remind you that this machine is ready to play. Every bit of the RPM range seemed loaded with power and torque. It bolts off the line easily while raising the front end nicely, not wheeling but reducing all the tension off the forks. While at freeway speeds, it also has loads of power and torque. 50mph to 70mph in 5th gear seemed rapid and exhilarating, more-so than my BRG. This riding machine is ready and willing to pull away from any crowd of riders at the twist of its responsive throttle.

      So in summary what would I say? Well, it's price tag is high but not as high as the other European competition. It's significantly higher than the Japanese competition but that's nothing new. The seat and brakes take a little getting used to, as well as the plethora of "other" hand controls I didn't use on my ride. The windshield worked quite well for stock, although at higher freeway speeds I did feel like my head was being pushed from behind with the screen all the way raised. The power, handling, and feel are the best I've felt as a complete combination. I would not run out there and buy a new one in this economy, but I would certainly look for a good used one in a couple years! To score it overall on a scale of 1-10, ten being the highest, I'd give it a solid 9.25.

      I hope you all have a chance to experience this superb machine for yourselves. It's worth a ride and a few (s)miles!

      Ride safe,
      Jim Gray
      2000  BRG BBBB
      Roseville, CA

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2013
        Thanks Jim!
           Your report covered all the important bases, well done.

        Hello Trophy lovers,I hope you all have a chance to experience this superb machine for yourselves. It's worth a ride and a few (s)miles!