Re: Starter Motors

  • slovcan
    Message 1 of 5 , May 21 12:55 PM
      Thanks Ed! The other thing about starter motors is that usually we can buy either a rebuild kit or the brushes & bushings separately to rebuild them easily ourselves (unless the windings are damaged).

      Cheers,
      Glenn

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Ed Johnson <edljohnson2@...> wrote:

      > Before you purchase a used starter motor from a breaker you need to know
      > this information:
      >
      > FYI: Bike Bandit List Price is $713.41 Bike Bandit discount price; $648.55
      >
      > Any reputable starter repair shop can sell you a brand new starter motor
      > for $150-160! They are made by Dexter and used on many outboards and
      > other electric start motors such as Power Generators etc. It's a very
      > common item and an exact replacement for our Trophy's. I bought one off
      > of Ebay for $75 and before I went to all the work of installing it I
      > went to my local starter repair shop to have it checked out. He told me
      > that if he took it apart and checked it out the labor would run about
      > $50 - $60 and I would have as much in it as a brand new one would cost
      > me. He showed me the retail price on his computer and I could get one in
      > three days. He then told me they rarely fail and hooked it up to his
      > 12v supply and spun it for me to show it was OK and didn't charge me
      > anything.
      > Turns out my starter relay [solenoid] was the problem which I also
      > bought from the same breaker where I got the starter. I paid retail
      > price [$50] for a used one when I could have bought a new one for that
      > price. Bike Bandit lists them for $54.31 for a brand new one!
      > Do some shopping before you buy used parts. They aren't always cheaper!
      > HTH!
      > --
      > *Ed J. *2001Triumph Trophy BBBB**
      >
      > --
      >
      > Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan
      > http://www.spamfighter.com/SLOW-PCfighter?cid=sigen

    • a2
      Message 2 of 5 , May 22 3:53 PM
        My spare starter relay is running around in a ride on lawn mower....a generic spare on the internet would have cost me £5.00

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Ed Johnson <edljohnson2@...> wrote:

        > Before you purchase a used starter motor from a breaker you need to know
        > this information:
        >
        > FYI: Bike Bandit List Price is $713.41 Bike Bandit discount price; $648.55
        >
        > Any reputable starter repair shop can sell you a brand new starter motor
        > for $150-160! They are made by Dexter and used on many outboards and
        > other electric start motors such as Power Generators etc. It's a very
        > common item and an exact replacement for our Trophy's. I bought one off
        > of Ebay for $75 and before I went to all the work of installing it I
        > went to my local starter repair shop to have it checked out. He told me
        > that if he took it apart and checked it out the labor would run about
        > $50 - $60 and I would have as much in it as a brand new one would cost
        > me. He showed me the retail price on his computer and I could get one in
        > three days. He then told me they rarely fail and hooked it up to his
        > 12v supply and spun it for me to show it was OK and didn't charge me
        > anything.
        > Turns out my starter relay [solenoid] was the problem which I also
        > bought from the same breaker where I got the starter. I paid retail
        > price [$50] for a used one when I could have bought a new one for that
        > price. Bike Bandit lists them for $54.31 for a brand new one!
        > Do some shopping before you buy used parts. They aren't always cheaper!
        > HTH!
        > --
        > *Ed J. *2001Triumph Trophy BBBB**
        >
        > --
        >
        > Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan
        > http://www.spamfighter.com/SLOW-PCfighter?cid=sigen

      • chicagonort
        Message 3 of 5 , May 22 5:37 PM
          Randy Baxter in Marni , Iowa sells used parts at about 50% of new or cheaper. Pin Wall Cycle here in the states sells lots of used parts for our bikes as well.

          ,,,,Tim

          Message 4 of 5 , May 26 11:18 AM
            Both are good suppliers and I have done business with both. However, the retail price of the starter motor is not something that is commonly known. None of the breakers I talked to were aware that they were that cheap new.