Re: How is #2 piston different?

  • gordon2xbbb
    Message 1 of 11 , May 18, 2013
      Sorry Jason, but the capacity is 885cc and that does divide into 3....

      Cheers
      Gordon 2xBBB
      Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Jason Hart <biker_jas@...> wrote:

      > The #2 cylinder has a slightly bigger bore on the triple (855 cc does not divide exactly into 3) as the triumph manual will tell you. This is why this cylinder piston could weigh slightly more .. also I suspect this is why the carb setting is slightly different. Bottom line I think you made the right choice.
      > Jason - 94 Trident 900  (107,000km)

    • gordon2xbbb
      Message 2 of 11 , May 18, 2013
        As does 855cc, now I come to think of it....

        Message 3 of 11 , May 18, 2013
          So Who is Correct? Things that make you go; Hmmmnnnn!?

          Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB
          On 5/18/2013 9:43 AM, gordon2xbbb wrote:
          As does 855cc, now I come to think of it....

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "gordon2xbbb" <gordon.smith29@...> wrote:

          Sorry Jason, but the capacity is 885cc and that does divide into 3....

          Cheers
          Gordon 2xBBB
          Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

          --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Jason Hart <biker_jas@> wrote:

          The #2 cylinder has a slightly bigger bore on the triple (855 cc does not divide exactly into 3) as the triumph manual will tell you. This is why this cylinder piston could weigh slightly more .. also I suspect this is why the carb setting is slightly different. Bottom line I think you made the right choice.
          Jason - 94 Trident 900  (107,000km)

          ------------------------------------

          List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

          Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              TriumphTrophy-digest@yahoogroups.com
              TriumphTrophy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Greg
          Message 4 of 11 , May 19, 2013
            Hi Guys, Thanks for your thoughts. I looked at the manual and the cylinder may be a bit bigger, but not much, half a thousandth for use Yankees. Well, at least he probably put it on the right cylinder.
            Greg

            Jason Hart wrote:
            The #2 cylinder has a slightly bigger bore on the triple (855 cc does not divide exactly into 3) as the triumph manual will tell you. This is why this cylinder piston could weigh slightly more .. also I suspect this is why the carb setting is slightly different. Bottom line I think you made the right choice.
            Jason - 94 Trident 900  (107,000km)

            That is the logical position for it. To me 10 grams sounds like a significant amount of weight at higher revs. Is the engine back together, yet?
            Hopefully someone with bike engine building experience will jump in with their 2 cents worth here. Maybe it'll be just fine like it is.
            Cheers,
            Glenn
          • Jacques, Martin, Vodafone Group
            Message 5 of 11 , May 20, 2013

              My understanding is that all 3 pistons, con-rods and cylinder liners are the same. I believe the middle cylinder is jetted slightly richer than the other two to cope with the fact that it gets less cooling air.

              Martin

              03 1200 now gone, Kawasaki 1400GTR (C14 for you US folk) in its place

              Bath - UK

            • nigel_keating
              Message 6 of 11 , May 20, 2013
                The triumph manual says 2 is matched to the liner which is marked on the top flange to identify it and the wear tolerances are tighter. Don't know why the tolerances would be tighter if it runs hotter?

                Cheers Nigel
                Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange
              • joan tabberer
                Message 7 of 11 , May 20, 2013
                  isn't it water cooled like the other two? :)

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 21, 2013
                    The triumph shop manual shows the middle cylinder to be sightly larger bore .. yes all are water cooled . The middle cylinder is adjusted the same as the others but the carb adjusting screw will be in a slightly different position at optimum
                    Jason