Re: How is #2 piston different?

  • slovcan
    Message 1 of 11 , May 17 2:31 AM
      That is the logical position for it. To me 10 grams sounds like a significant amount of weight at higher revs. Is the engine back together, yet?

      When I built my VW Scirocco racing engine a lifetime ago, I weighed the rod/piston assemblies on a postal scale (end for end) and relieved the big ends of the rods and the piston skirts to balance as close as I could to the lightest set. It worked great and the engine never failed.

      Hopefully someone with bike engine building experience will jump in with their 2 cents worth here. Maybe it'll be just fine like it is.

      Cheers,
      Glenn

      --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gandrews@...> wrote:

      > Hi all, My brother's Super 3 had antifreeze getting into the engine oil. The #2 connecting rod bearing took a real beating. It even scarred up the piston and crank a little. He bought some Trophy parts at a really good price to put into the engine. Since he is using Trophy rods and the crankshaft he kept the rods and pistons together as a set. The breaker didn't number the pistons. So how do you tell which one is #2. He weighed all three and one set is 10 grams heavier. He put the heavy piston and rod set on the #2.
      > Did he make the right choice?
      > Thanks,
      > Greg

    • Jason Hart
      Message 2 of 11 , May 17 9:18 AM
        The #2 cylinder has a slightly bigger bore on the triple (855 cc does not divide exactly into 3) as the triumph manual will tell you. This is why this cylinder piston could weigh slightly more .. also I suspect this is why the carb setting is slightly different. Bottom line I think you made the right choice.
        Jason - 94 Trident 900  (107,000km)

        That is the logical position for it. To me 10 grams sounds like a significant amount of weight at higher revs. Is the engine back together, yet?

        When I built my VW Scirocco racing engine a lifetime ago, I weighed the rod/piston assemblies on a postal scale (end for end) and relieved the big ends of the rods and the piston skirts to balance as close as I could to the lightest set. It worked great and the engine never failed.

        Hopefully someone with bike engine building experience will jump in with their 2 cents worth here. Maybe it'll be just fine like it is.

        Cheers,
        Glenn

        --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <gandrews@...> wrote:

        > Hi all, My brother's Super 3 had antifreeze getting into the engine oil. The #2 connecting rod bearing took a real beating. It even scarred up the piston and crank a little. He bought some Trophy parts at a really good price to put into the engine. Since he is using Trophy rods and the crankshaft he kept the rods and pistons together as a set. The breaker didn't number the pistons. So how do you tell which one is #2. He weighed all three and one set is 10 grams heavier. He put the heavy piston and rod set on the #2.
        > Did he make the right choice?
        > Thanks,
        > Greg

      • gordon2xbbb
        Message 3 of 11 , May 18 1:06 AM
          Sorry Jason, but the capacity is 885cc and that does divide into 3....

          Cheers
          Gordon 2xBBB
          Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

          Message 4 of 11 , May 18 6:43 AM
            As does 855cc, now I come to think of it....

            Message 5 of 11 , May 18 11:53 AM
              So Who is Correct? Things that make you go; Hmmmnnnn!?

              Ed J. 2001Triumph Trophy BBBB
              On 5/18/2013 9:43 AM, gordon2xbbb wrote:
              As does 855cc, now I come to think of it....

              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, "gordon2xbbb" <gordon.smith29@...> wrote:

              Sorry Jason, but the capacity is 885cc and that does divide into 3....

              Cheers
              Gordon 2xBBB
              Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK

              --- In TriumphTrophy@yahoogroups.com, Jason Hart <biker_jas@> wrote:

              The #2 cylinder has a slightly bigger bore on the triple (855 cc does not divide exactly into 3) as the triumph manual will tell you. This is why this cylinder piston could weigh slightly more .. also I suspect this is why the carb setting is slightly different. Bottom line I think you made the right choice.
              Jason - 94 Trident 900  (107,000km)

              ------------------------------------

              List guidelines: PLEASE NO grumpy replies, or replies which merely add agreement to a previous post. If a reply is only relevant to the original writer, please REPLY DIRECT to that person. No SPAM, no adult-oriented topics, and no postings of a political or commercial nature are allowed, except for personal items for sale/wanted. Please trim old messages to a minimum when replying.

              Subscribe:  TriumphTrophy-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  TriumphTrophy-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  TriumphTrophy-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Greg
              Message 6 of 11 , May 19 1:04 PM
                Hi Guys, Thanks for your thoughts. I looked at the manual and the cylinder may be a bit bigger, but not much, half a thousandth for use Yankees. Well, at least he probably put it on the right cylinder.
                Greg

                Jason Hart wrote:
                The #2 cylinder has a slightly bigger bore on the triple (855 cc does not divide exactly into 3) as the triumph manual will tell you. This is why this cylinder piston could weigh slightly more .. also I suspect this is why the carb setting is slightly different. Bottom line I think you made the right choice.
                Jason - 94 Trident 900  (107,000km)

                That is the logical position for it. To me 10 grams sounds like a significant amount of weight at higher revs. Is the engine back together, yet?
                Hopefully someone with bike engine building experience will jump in with their 2 cents worth here. Maybe it'll be just fine like it is.
                Cheers,
                Glenn
              • Jacques, Martin, Vodafone Group
                Message 7 of 11 , May 20 5:00 AM

                  My understanding is that all 3 pistons, con-rods and cylinder liners are the same. I believe the middle cylinder is jetted slightly richer than the other two to cope with the fact that it gets less cooling air.

                  Martin

                  03 1200 now gone, Kawasaki 1400GTR (C14 for you US folk) in its place

                  Bath - UK

                • nigel_keating
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 20 5:11 AM
                    The triumph manual says 2 is matched to the liner which is marked on the top flange to identify it and the wear tolerances are tighter. Don't know why the tolerances would be tighter if it runs hotter?

                    Cheers Nigel
                    Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange
                  • joan tabberer
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 20 11:01 AM
                      isn't it water cooled like the other two? :)

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 21 8:47 AM
                        The triumph shop manual shows the middle cylinder to be sightly larger bore .. yes all are water cooled . The middle cylinder is adjusted the same as the others but the carb adjusting screw will be in a slightly different position at optimum
                        Jason