Re: [TriumphTrophy] Wanted - 9-hole Clearview XL Windscreen

    Message 1 of 7 , May 13, 2013
      Hi Nick,
        I wrote this answer once, but I dozed off at my desk, and lost it, so here goes again. There is a State-side company that makes a rubber (?) screen edging called, "Microswirl-Edging", that easily slips along the upper screen's upper edge. This stuff isn't cheap, (sold by the foot). I used a tiny bit of silicone glue very sparingly, and have run the thing for 17+ yrs. with no ill-effects (sun-lite), or had to replace it for any reason. The shape of the edging causes the airflow to more or less tumble to soften, much like an aerator softens the airflow around you and you passenger. Another thing is by softening the airflow, as it does, causes a pretty large reduction of ambient air noise from the wind screen. I didn't even have to go to a taller wind screen, because the softer air flow makes the dynamic effects of having a more harsh air blast.. My helmet doesn't flop around on my head at speed. Again I didn't change any other equipment on myself or my bike, at that time. I eventually got a set of  very-very loud "Fiam" horns. I've been riding motorcycles for more than 50 years, mostly long distance rides. They have proven to be a serious safety features. How many of us have been "clobbered" by a two pound, rock-hard beetle, right between the eyes. They aren't likely to cold-cock you, but you'll definitely affect your ability to negotiate more important curves. I think that there are very important things that have been, being researched on just how very important every single little detail, in a very serious detail. . As fuel costs soar, more bikes will be in greater utility. (consider the South-East-Asia!) Fortunately ,

      Hi everyone,

      My '97 900 has what I think is a Sprint Manufacturing 'tall' aftermarket screen fitted. I know the PO had to replace the screen due to an accident. The screen is 26.5 inches on the centreline. I am 6ft 1in tall and the bike has a standard seat. When I sit on the bike the top of the screen is about level with the bottom of my visor and I still get a lot of wind noise and buffeting at 70 - 80mph. If I want to get out of the wind I have to crouch down in a way that is not comfortable for more than a few minutes.
      So I am trying to solve this problem and I notice that screens on many bikes (e.g. BMW GS, etc) are a lot more upright than the one on my bike.
      I have compared my screen with pictures of the Clearview XL which I know a lot of people have fitted. I think my screen slopes back more toward the rider than the Clearview and the latter is also 1 inch taller as well as having a more pronounced upward curve at the top of the screen.
      I am considering modifying my screen to be more upright but would like to try the Clearview XL if anyone has one they would like to part with?
      I am in the UK so anything Stateside is not likely to be practical from a shipping point of view.

      I'd welcome any thoughts and experience on this, particularly from those of you that are taller?

      Many Thanks,

      Nick
      South Bucks, UK

    • simonbernard10
      Message 2 of 7 , May 14, 2013
        I have used a Laminar lip for two years now and I can confirm it works pretty well. I use it with an 11 hole Triumph screen (not sure if its standard height or not) but at 5'8" I can see over the top and turbulence and noise is massively reduced. My only grouse is that my screen is tinted light grey, while the Laminar is clear and this gives rise to a real strain looking through two layers of plastic, especially at night. The fact that the Laminar is curved in the opposite way to the main screen gives rise to an unpleasant optical effect. I have been thinking of raising the bars by 1" to put less strain on my wrists and back and will probably then resort to a Clearview. I emailed them re delivery last year and they said no problem sending to the UK>